LegacyGT.com

Did I get screwed paying $10k for this car?

In late august I bought an '05 LGT Wagon 5EAT in ABP with 142k miles. It had been serviced bumper to bumper by AWD Auto in Kirkland. They did all the bushings all around as well as the front end links. The big thing was a full turbo replacement. It succumbed to the whole oil starvation issue and kicked the bucket but they caught it before it could hurt anything. No metal in the oil and they replaced it with a new one and took out the banjo filters. Interior is nice and clean, leather is in good condition (single driver car, 70 year old guy had it since it was new). I had it for literally two days when the turbo died again, but limped it home and they did the new turbo again. Some bolt was loose apparently, manufacturing issue with the turbo (?). They weren't exactly clear what was wrong.

Since then, I've put on 4k miles and I don't have many issues. I found out pretty quickly afterwards that the reverse lights don't work (bulbs are fine, has to be wiring or something) and the passenger side valve cover gasket is leaking onto the exhaust manifold and smoking up. It's a slow leak, so I'm just watching the oil until I can get it fixed.

There's absolutely no rust, only a few chips in the paint on the hood from rocks and the side skirts are beat up from gravel roads (doesn't bug me that much).

So here's my question, did I get screwed? I am seeing wagons with much lower miles and no mechanical issues as well as 6 speed swaps for under $10k. I feel like I could have gotten something much better for the same money. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and I'm gonna fix it up and upgrade it a little (VF52, suspension, etc.) But it is kinda hard to when I spent my upgrading money on just getting the car.

A turbo replacement like that is a huge red flag. You’re lucky the shortblock hasn’t went out yet. Do you have any sort of warranty?

The reverse lights is a common issue. Most likely the wiring harness in the rear door needs some attention.

Even with the PNW Subaru tax 10k is a lot for a 5eat wagon with 142k, especially with a new turbo replacement.

Yeah, if you have rod knock you’re pretty much dead in the water. 4K is a decent amount of mileage after a failure like that though. I’d definitely send an oil sample to blackstone and get it checked out.

do an oil analysis ASAP, and switch to a thicker oil like a shell rotella T6 5w-40. you are gonna want to do a series of oil analysis over the next few OCIs to ensure your engine bearings arent compromised.

Do this.

And zip-tie or worm clamp every vacuum line in the car.

Brought to you by Pfizer

For an auto LGT wagon with 140k miles, $10k is definitely way high. They're usually around $4-6k in a private sale.

Cars sold with a recently replaced turbo are always a bad sign. Usually the motor already has the damage done, they replace the turbo and change the oil, then send it out and hope the warranty expires before the motor blows.

The seller put $2.5k into the car for the bushings and timing belt and stuff like that. (water pump I think too) So that's why they were listing so high. I still don't know if that's fair.

Sent from my Carrier Pigeon using Tapatalk

It’s not too high because someone bought it. And really the only type of buyer that would at that price is someone who just can’t get that car any other way or someone unaware of the right value because they are unfamiliar with this car. Because it’s kind of a unique hot ticket in the wagon community people interested in getting in but not too experienced with these cars will buy at or near that price. If you really wanted one and there were no other examples near you and you can’t fly or have one shipped to you then we’ll you paid a fair price. I flew to Colorado 3-4 years ago to buy a 2006 5mt in black with 100k miles for $10.5. That’s paying the Colorado tax but private party. Also an outback, not an legacy.

Where are these under $10k 6mt wagons in Seattle? I watch the market pretty close. I probably would have taken a gander at a 6mt for under 10.

That said, 5eat LGT wagons sell for $6-7.5k with 100-180k miles all the time around here. The 5mts all seem to be around $8-10k for a decent one.

Edit* I recall one 6mt wagon for sale in the PNW this year but it was a total basket case. I know the guy that bought it. It has since been stripped for parts.

Would it be worth the rebuild or would I be better off selling it at a loss? I love these Legacy's but this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

make this decision once you have the oil analysis. the thicker oil will help keep the bearings from wearing if there is metal pollution, and you may come across a used unit from a salvage car or an abandoned build project with a good history to swap in. keep an eye out.

So thinking about the work put into it before I bought it, I'm sort of thinking it was a fair price point. The only downside would be if the bearings are shot and the turbo failure took its toll. I'll update when I get my analysis results back.

Keep an eye/ear open for wheel bearing noise. These cars are known for them going around 150-200,000 miles.

Replace the two broken ground wires from the heads to the chassis soon. The OEM ones are pretty bad.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You already paid and put 4k on it. Suck it up, buttercup. :-)

If you want a 6mt sedan with minor work needed, i can hook you up. I'd do 5k. Just for a comparison.

If you like the wagon, it doesn't matter what you paid. Go read all the maintenance threads and do the work. With luck, you'll get another 50k miles before you need a rebuild. Don't succumb to the bolt-on fever that kills these cars. Save your money for the new motor. Everyone buys one. It's a right of passage.

If you decide to get rid of it, someone here might buy it from nasioc. Especially if you put c/o on it.

Hey, if it makes you feel better, I bought the car new and I'm well into paying for it the third time. I seem to remember paying about $27,500 for it back in June 2004.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I likely have about $25k into my '02 quad cab Cummins that I may get $13 for on a good day. Let us not even get into the Mustang discussion.

If you like the car it doesn't matter what someone else paid for theirs or sold theirs for. These cars seem to fetch a premium in most cases. The best thing you can do now is read and do maintenance that is required. If you don't have proof of maintenance then bite the bullet and do it yourself, if able. You will save time and money in the long run.

There are ppl who track every expenditure on their car. Ppl have 6 figures into their cars. I don't use a spreadsheet anymore. I don't want to know.

:lol: me too. I used to keep list of all my expenditures on my cars. Years ago, I added it up one day and was horrified to see how I spent on my cars, especially my daily driver. At this point I try to keep my daily drivers stock or near stock and i don’t keep track of expenses; ignorance is bliss when comes to how much I spent modifying and maintaining my cars.

Archived