LegacyGT.com

ISO Legacy GT - things to consider?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It shouldn't be vibrating on deceleration. My car has a poly rear differential mount and I think the rear transmission mount. I am not sure if the aftermarket offers 5th Gen front engine mounts or the 'engine mounts' that bolts to the transmission. My car sometimes is a little clunkier when I press the clutch in 1st gear, than the other I have driven. It is not what you describe though. My car still has the stock clutch.

My friend bought a 5th Gen 2.5i Legacy that he thought had a bad rear differential, but it turn out to be a rear wheel bearing (even though that wheel didn't seem to have excessive play).

thanks coco26 and dgoodhue. The car has been regularly serviced at a Subaru dealer. Seller says he’s asked them about it but they couldn’t find anything. Taking it to a tuner/race shop this morning for inspection in hopes they will have some insight.

It could definitely be all the aftermarket mounts they really kill the quiet plush drive from the factory. You should check trans output shaft for play, rear diff for play, wheel bearings are common as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wanted to provide an update. My son is now the owner of a 2012 Legacy GT. Some concern of the vibration on deceleration and shop not certain if trans or rear diff could be causing it. Those aftermarket mounts throughout really transfer noise. We took that into account and the seller worked with us on price. Passed the inspection otherwise including the compression check and drove it 6 hours home last night. Thanks everyone for your help. I think he’s going to get it cleaned up today (wildfire smoke permitting it might have to wait a day or two) and we’ll post some pics.

It didn't come with a spare (or jack or the tray that sits on top of the spare) so I need to source those items. It looks like the spare they came with was T135/70R17 if my forum searches are correct. If someone doesn't mind confirming when they get a chance I would appreciate it. Thanks! Edited by olympic1

It didn't come with a spare (or jack or the tray that sits on top of the spare) so I need to source those items. It looks like the spare they came with was T135/70R17 if my forum searches are correct. If someone doesn't mind confirming when they get a chance I would appreciate it. Thanks!

get aaa.

running the spare is a limp to the nearest tire store option

get aaa.

running the spare is a limp to the nearest tire store option

Lol. I have Good Sam but I still like to have the spare. Had a flat in Montana once and was glad to have the spare as I was out of cell range.

if you've got a junk yard near you you can probably find a spare and tool kit there...hell you can buy a $30 trolley jack from harbor freight and a 19mm socket and breaker bar and have a better tool kit than subaru would ever supply. not sure if it'd fit but you might be able to grab a full size wheel and tire to keep in there as well...

if you've got a junk yard near you you can probably find a spare and tool kit there...hell you can buy a $30 trolley jack from harbor freight and a 19mm socket and breaker bar and have a better tool kit than subaru would ever supply. not sure if it'd fit but you might be able to grab a full size wheel and tire to keep in there as well...

I was under the impression a full size wouldn't fit inflated in there. Am I incorrect?

Yeah checked the local pull and save and spaldings but neither had them in stock. If a full size wheel and tire will fit that is definitely the way to go...just didn't think a full size would fit. And true, I can piece together a better kit on my own than the factory.

Don't quote me on this, but I think I recall someone saying that you can fit a full-size spare in there without the tray. You'd have to come up with another home for the jack (which opens up the possibility of getting something other than a scissor jack), but that could be an option.

For something you are only going to use if absolutely necessary there are plenty of scissor jacks available on the aftermarket. That and a small tool kit will serve you well. I would also bet a spare from any of the legacy trims will work I can't imagine the diameters of the tire options vary much if at all.

Here’s an example factory jack kit and insert:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313187579187

I put a full size spare in mine using a 17” WRX wheel I already had and an appropriately sized used tire. It fits in the tire well, just leave out the foam tray. I replaced the tray with a precut off-the-shelf piece of plywood from a big box hardware store to support the trunk carpet, i think it’s 24x24.

Edited by NVAKeith
Fixed board measurements

Here’s an example factory jack kit and insert:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313187579187

I put a full size spare in mine using a 17” WRX wheel I already had and an appropriately sized used tire. It fits in the tire well, just leave out the foam tray. I replaced the tray with a pre cut off the shelf piece of plywood from a big box hardware store, i think it’s 18x18.

Thanks for confirmation that a full size 17" will fit. If you can't fit the foam tray with the full size wheel where are you able to fit a jack?

The jack, accessories *and* the round foam carrier fits inside the full size spare which lays face down. You have to leave out the square foam tray that would sit on top of the stock donut spare.

ff45a325f2f5196f3b8ee481bdd6d301.jpg

Okay I see that’s perfect.

Looks like the board I used is 24x24

a8f89f84315f1f39bb448bdf50907795.jpg

Thanks for the pics and measurements!