LegacyGT.com

Swapping a ‘06 GT engine into an ‘06 NA Outback, need advice please

Hey guys.. trying to dig myself out of the dog house here.. I procrastinated in replacing my wife’s leaky oil pan in her 2006 legacy outback (NA, AT).. developed a major knock and am having to replace the engine. I nabbed up a running ‘06 GT sedan with a manual trans.. wanna swap the engine over and keep the outback an automatic trans.. so far I’ve found differences in the crossmember, o2 sensor wiring and fuel return line.. what other differences are there and should I go through with this swap or look for a factory replacement engine? Note that I got the GT for wicked cheap due to the tranny being stuck in 3rd gear and would be spending about the same amount of money in whichever direction I go. I appreciate your input

Well I realize they are completely different lol.. but I’d greatly appreciate some details on some of the hurdles I’d have to leap to make it happen.. is there someone out there whose has attempted a similar swap? I’m not some noob who’s never held a wrench.. I can handle the work involved, I’m just trying to prepare myself for the job at hand prior to tearing down a running vehicle. Again, thanks for your support Edited by CaddyDaddy3

No,no ones done it because its a huge major pain in the ass and not worth it at all. We don't even recommend going from an NA fourth gen legacy to 4th Gen GT because of the major hurdles. The N/A Impreza would be even harder to do. Wiring is different, ECU is different, the 4eat trans was never made for this turbo motor, the exhaust is different, the packaging in the engine bay is different, you don't have a hood scoop for the top mount intercooler so you'd need a front mount, how you planning to run this thing, a standalone ECU? How much $ you want to dump into a $1500 car? The platforms are completely different.

Lol well I have the complete legacy GT.. so I can transfer over the hood.. as for the engine fitment.. I know I’d have to make modifications to fit the up pipe.. am I over looking another difference in the crossmember? As for the computer and wiring.. can I not just get an outback XT computer? Buying another car isn’t an option.. I’ve already given the car a custom paint job and custom interior and wheels, I want to keep the current vehicle. What else do you have for me? This is all good stuff

Lol well I have the complete legacy GT.. so I can transfer over the hood.. as for the engine fitment.. I know I’d have to make modifications to fit the up pipe.. am I over looking another difference in the crossmember? As for the computer and wiring.. can I not just get an outback XT computer? Buying another car isn’t an option.. I’ve already given the car a custom paint job and custom interior and wheels, I want to keep the current vehicle. What else do you have for me? This is all good stuff

Just get a replacement NA engine. She does not need a turbo to get to Walmart.

Then just try to fix your beater GT if you want to wrench.

---

Yeah.. i figured that would end up being the general consensus with this swap.. and I may still take the stock route when it’s all said and done. But I only want to do so after I’m 100% convinced it’s not worth doing. I really just want a thorough list of necessary mods to make a swap like this work so I can accurately weigh the two options. Not to be rude, but it’s easy to say not to do something, what I’m looking for is a detailed reason why. I know it’s kind of a headache to go through all the details involved in such a project.. but I would greatly appreciate your support.

Also.. I have no interest in keeping the GT if I don’t use it for the swap.. don’t get me wrong, I love Subies.. I was a Subaru technician for several years. But I’ve had my fair share of Subaru’s, turbo and non-turbo. I’ve turned a new page and gotten back into classic cars and am now just supporting my wife’s passion for her beloved Outback. This GT has tons of donor parts aside from the engine that her car can benefit from and I would love to get some use out of it. If not, then I’ll likely part it out and go back to stock.

I don’t claim to know everything about these cars.. I’m not a one trick pony and don’t focus on just one make or model.. so let’s not be a dick here, I’m asking for advice, not criticism. If you don’t have any helpful knowledge in the subject, go Troll someone else.

Yeah.. i figured that would end up being the general consensus with this swap.. and I may still take the stock route when it’s all said and done. But I only want to do so after I’m 100% convinced it’s not worth doing. I really just want a thorough list of necessary mods to make a swap like this work so I can accurately weigh the two options. Not to be rude, but it’s easy to say not to do something, what I’m looking for is a detailed reason why. I know it’s kind of a headache to go through all the details involved in such a project.. but I would greatly appreciate your support.

its also easy to search, you should start there. Many have tried the swap only 2 successful.

Best of luck mate

Thanks man, I’ll continue my research. But I’m on a tight timeframe as my wife needs her car back lol.. I’d rather her keep the mileage off the ‘51 Caddy. The time crunch being a major player has kept me very open to just going back to stock. However I don’t want to just give up on the idea at the first sign of trouble.

Thanks man, I’ll continue my research. But I’m on a tight timeframe as my wife needs her car back lol.. I’d rather her keep the mileage off the ‘51 Caddy. The time crunch being a major player has kept me very open to just going back to stock. However I don’t want to just give up on the idea at the first sign of trouble.

You are contradicting yourself here. You have no time but yet want to take on a project that is extremely difficult and almost impossible and as consequence have the wife all upset? :spin:

Even if you get it working I can assure you it will never be reliable. Cut your losses now and get her car working correctly.

---

Here's a little of what you'd swap over:

Engine, wiring harness, ECU, security module, intake manifold, throttle body, intercooler, inlet, all vacuum hoses, intake duct, airbox, exhaust manifold, up pipe, turbo, downpipe, catback, hood, fuel pressure regulator, fuel lines. Not sure about power steering pump, compressor, alternator, radiator, fuel pump. Doubtless much I've overlooked.

If the only problem with the GT is that the tranny needs replacing, that is a $1500 no-brainer. Make some good coin from that, replace the XT's shortblock, rebuild the heads, back in action.

Or buy a good used EJ253 and save the rebuild effort.

Edited by relative4

Here's the service manual, it may come in handy.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

You can find the outback service manual in the Gen Chat Forum in the thread about "vacation Pic's".

I've been on here for 14+ years, guy's who own repairs shops don't even try this.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I apologize for my earlier statement. For some reason I read 06 NA Impreza. The hood should fit an 06 Outback. That was some bad misinformation from me. Still not a good swap. Best to keep the turbo car turbo.

I apologize for my earlier statement. For some reason I read 06 NA Impreza. The hood should fit an 06 Outback. That was some bad misinformation from me. Still not a good swap. Best to keep the turbo car turbo.

I was wondering what you were on about.

But OP - Basically you need to take everything out of the Legacy GT from the driver seat forward and put it in the Outback.

Quick / easier to replace the NA engine with an NA engine.

edit: but that wouldn't work because the Outback is an automatic. So you need to convert a Legacy GT manual to a Legacy GT automatic - then shove all that into the Outback NA.

Search on this site for the 1-2 people who did Legacy GT Automatic to Legacy GT manual, read through their threads, realize this is a stupid endeavor and repair / get a new NA engine.

Edited by Rhitter

No worries Gex, I appreciate your apology. Upon further inspection it appears the biggest set back is the fact that I’m trying to convert an engine designed for a manual transmission into a automatic car.. so I’m researching how much would need to be changed to fit it to a AT.. whether it be the engine harness and computer or a complete harness from an auto car.. if that ends up being the case.. I’ll likely keep it NA and abandon the project. I still have hope at this point but we’ll see

Update.. I’m gonna give it some reconsideration.. I found a local shop that specializes in legacy GTs and outback XTs and has several donor cars available.. so I’m gonna grab the engine harness, main under dash harness and ECU to mate to the GT engine. My question now is, will I need the steering column and any other computer related components? And what about when it comes to passing a state inspection? What do I need to do to marry all of this together to make it legal in NC?

You need the instrument panel and the correct keys if not the security system will never let the car start.

What are you doing with the transmission? You also need the body control module.

I see you are going against all the good advice given to you on this thread. :spin:

EDIT: If you succeed leave a good chunk of money for future YNANSB. :spin:

Edited by laz
---