LegacyGT.com

BNR 16G Turbo

I was looking through the BNR website and forgot that they had offered a 16G turbo (TD05H EVO3 16G). I don't think I have ever seen it mentioned on here. Just curious on any thoughts on it, if any.

When I inquired the most knowledge 5th-gen guy on the forums here (tough guess, right) about a TDO5/16G, he said the following "Having done the r&d we decided the 16G did not offer anything useful. The 18G spoils so fast on that short factory header it's not worth the hit to power potential."

Regardless, I'm still interested in a 16G.....

[emoji23][emoji23] I have that 16g on my DD lancer.

Wait!...Are they really swapping the compressor wheels and mating the 16g cold side to the vf54?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

No, this is definitely not recommended. Go search on Deadbolt VF-40-18G for a full development history / horror story about big compressors matched to small turbines. It's crucial to maintain balance between exhaust and intake flow. There's no point cramming more air into the cylinders than you can scavenge via the exhaust.

Since any of these hybrid turbos have to be custom built, you can choose any compressor wheel you like from 16G to 20G. Bryan used to offer the FP 68HTA which was great for the E85-only crowd.

I can tell you nothing larger than a TD05H turbine will fit 'nicely' in the exhaust housing. Cram a TD06 in there and the geometry is horrible.

On a 2.5, the 20G is really too large to be paired with a TD05H except in an 8cm2 housing, and even that isn't ideal.

The stock P18 exhaust housing is about 7.4cm2 by my measurements. See how the physical, mechanical limits are often outside of practical limits?

Note that the STi exhaust cams have the same valve lift as the oldskool single-AVCS 255 or 257 items. I haven't measured the duration on either but the profile looks identical. All you are doing here is un-handicapping the motor after Subaru dumbed it down.

I no longer stock these hybrid turbos btw, I shipped the last one today. Any further orders would have to be GBs.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Thanks as always for the helpful info. So I am running the 20g with the sti cams and I must say it is pretty good. I have seen the comparison on how the 18G is better though. In your opinion, what would be the best turbo for our cars with the associated mods? Cams, injectors etc.?

Again it's more a question of availability and how far you're willing to go with custom fabrication.

If you're keeping the stock header you're stuck with the stock housings and IMO the best route for that is the TD05H-18G you now have. As I laid out in my power manifesto, you need 750s to feed that on gas and 1000s if running E85. I think the used STi exhaust cams are a really good solution as they are cheap, plentiful and OEM quality. OTOH, S2baru had really good results with his GSC stg1 cams. I was very impressed with how those filled out his torque curve without seeming to delay spool to any appreciable degree. I think the Tomei Poncam would do very well also.

Once you decide that's not enough, you're moving on from the stock header and into custom fabrication territory, and which point you're only really limited by what will physically fit between the oil pan and the radiator. :O How crazy do you want get? What won't you do in the quest for more power, or can't accept?

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Yeah, good ol' California. :mad:

That's why my dream has always been 2 motors. One relatively stock running Stage1 or Stage2 (dp only to swap if need be for emissions testing), and run the other as a monster build. A weekend or 2 every 2 years to drop the stock motor in, get the emissions test, and swap back to the monster motor should be all it takes to circumvent the emissions requirements.

Archived