LegacyGT.com

2020 Limited Rear creak noise coming from the rear

Hello!

I have another odd noise originating from rear of the car when going over speed bumps. I noticed it a while back but I just thought it was because it was new, but it appears to be getting worse. I drove another 2020 legacy loaner over the same speed bumps & no noise. The noise actually reminds me of a noise from the front of my 2014 Camry that started around 70,000 miles. That noise ended up being a pain to diagnose but eventually they replaced both front control arms for around $400 per side. The noise was gone after that. I have been reading an ascent forum regarding a similar sounding noise, but I haven’t been able to find anyone with a video of it. My car has 6,000 miles and I’m due for my first service I just want to have an idea of what to ask for when I mention it to the dealer.

Video:

Edited by smallz
The trunk is also empty, I thought it could be something bouncing around so I took everything out

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah I’m not really sure what the deal is. I didn’t mention it at my tire rotation & oil change appointment but I may go in to ask about it. If that’s what it sounds like at 6,000 miles who knows what it’ll sound like at 60,000. I have a feeling they’ll offer to lubricate something, but this sounds like a case where it should all be replaced.

It’s about 25 degrees F here currently...I’ve had loaner legacies exact same trim and everything and I took them over the same bumps and they sound nothing like that, in fact it appears to be getting worse. I read online that a great deal of ascents have a similar problem where some spring punctures a rubber piece. I have an appointment next week to get it checked out.

I took it in for a software recall today and mentioned the noise to them and showed the service advisor a video. I got a call later in the day saying that it was done, I picked the car up and my paperwork says that the exhaust heat shield below the gas tank was rattling against the under body due to a clip being loose, the tech put tape above the heat shield to keep it from rattling, and as I drove away from the dealership it was still as noisy as ever. I went over a speed bump and it sounds exactly the same. So I took a new video and sent it over to the service manager and he got back to me and wants me to ride along with a technician. I think the noise in the video is pretty distinct right?

I definitely think weather is influencing this.

I noticed this noise going over speed bumps and driving in Chicago shitty streets this weekend.

Sounds like my rear driver strut is shot...

Haven't checked cuz it's 0*F this week but the cars garage kept over night.

Currently at 9800 miles on my 2020.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I took my car back in and rode along with a tech. They kept the car to diagnose the problem further and called me later that day saying that it’s the rear driver strut & whatever housing that strut is in. They’re ordering parts and will be replacing next week. Edited by smallz

The dealer fixed it and Subaru engineers are aware of the problem.

They removed the rear sway bar a greased the mount. They were installed dry at the plant so when the rotate in the mount the stick and release and clunk against the floor pan.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

I just picked up the car today. It was there since Thursday but the dealer gave me a loaner. As far as I can tell the noise is gone. They replaced the driver side strut rear strut. There was a different service advisor when I picked the car up and she said she thinks there will be some sort of recall because of the number of strut replacements they've had to do. Hopefully my passenger side strut doesn't go next...

I just picked up the car today. It was there since Thursday but the dealer gave me a loaner. As far as I can tell the noise is gone. They replaced the driver side strut rear strut. There was a different service advisor when I picked the car up and she said she thinks there will be some sort of recall because of the number of strut replacements they've had to do. Hopefully my passenger side strut doesn't go next...

Can you confirm model and date of manufacture?

I'll have to check on the manufacture date, It's a 2020 Legacy Limited non-turbo w/ nav & moonroof package. The other day the noise started up again - same as before, so I assumed it was the right strut. I had them order the part and they put it in today. Noise is still there. I guess it could be the sway bar. I've been there three times for this I feel bad walking in there and sending the technicians on a fishing expedition to try and find this issue.

• 2 weeks later...