LegacyGT.com

Hey! Long time no see, everybody! It’s been years since I’ve been in here. I haven’t had a Legacy in the family to keep alive until recently.

About a month ago, my mother-in-law decided she wanted to get a smaller car that got better gas mileage, so she sold me her ‘13 Legacy 3.6R. Besides the fact that changing the headlights on that car absolutely sucks and that the big motor burns gas like a refinery fire, I love it! I’ve had a fondness for it since she got it. I’m thrilled to have made it mine.

Anyway, I noticed that there was no trunk light when I was in there the other day. I figured it was just burnt out or something. I went looking for the light so I could replace it. I cannot find it. The owner’s manual seems to indicate that it should be more or less in the center of the roof of the trunk. It’s just not there. I even climbed into the trunk — so I could figure out which wiring harness I have back there for planning out installing a backup camera — and looked for it.

Does the Legacy not come with a trunk light? I mean, I know that Subaru sucks at lighting their cargo areas, but not lighting it at all? Seems kind of weird.

What do you guys think? I’ll happily climb back in there and take pictures if need be. It’s actually pretty comfortable back there.

Edited by SchwarzeEwigkt

Should be there...

Never heard of a Ltd. without Nav or sunroof....in Canada only Eyesight was optional on a Ltd.

Our 2 Legacys Ltd's are 2012 and 2013....both have it all except Eyesight and both have a trunk light. ;)

Edited by Scooby Fan

I checked out cars101, and all Legacy's have truck lights, or should.

I had figured that. I’ll bet the PO whacked it with something and knocked it up inside the trunk ceiling panel where I’ll have to fish it back out. I had to reattach one of the seat release cables that was just flopping around back to the trunk ceiling. She always kept a hilarious amount of crap in the trunk and must have bashed everything all to hell shoving things in there.

Anybody have a picture of where the light’s supposed to be so I know where to start looking for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2013 Legacy and the trunk light was dangling for a while, but I twisted it back into place... For me I have a white box shaped thing with the bulb inside of it. It uses a 168 bulb. The wiring harness connects into the white box that holds the bulb.

I have a 2013 Legacy and the trunk light was dangling for a while, but I twisted it back into place... For me I have a white box shaped thing with the bulb inside of it. It uses a 168 bulb. The wiring harness connects into the white box that holds the bulb.

Could I convince you to take a picture of it? The only white box I have is large (probably 4”x4”x5”) that looks like it’s probably the center seatbelt mechanism.

Here’s the right side:

d6bbfc2beb98d2d55504b8532cacade3.jpg

There is a white connector dangling there, but I was under the impression it was the wiring for the lamp on the deck lid wing, which I don’t have.

Here’s the left:

69991166a1cc5522e0d192afdefa9898.jpg

I’m not seeing anyplace where it could have gone to, nor any broken wires on the harness or anything. It’s like it was never there.

The hole on the left in the first picture is where the light assembly simply twists in place (kind of like the tail light bulbs screw in and lock when twisted). The wire that is dangling on the right connects to the trunk light assembly, which screws into the whole to the left of it.

Trunk_lamp_comparo_square.jpg?v=1426518340

Here is a link to a video showing the trunk light (Skip to 5:50):

Here is a link to the light assembly on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Trunk-Courtesy-Light-Lamp-Assembly-84611GA000-for-Subaru-Sedan-1985-2018/153507958460?fits=Year%3A2013%7CModel%3ALegacy%7CSubmodel%3A2.5i+Premium%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.5L%7CMake%3ASubaru&epid=1611310907&hash=item23bdc98ebc:g:hToAAOSwEWJc8E-G:sc:USPSFirstClass!01845!US!-1

Edited by Alexmed2002

The hole on the left in the first picture is where the light assembly simply twists in place (kind of like the tail light bulbs screw in and lock when twisted). The wire that is dangling on the right connects to the trunk light assembly, which screws into the whole to the left of it.

Trunk_lamp_comparo_square.jpg?v=1426518340

Here is a link to a video showing the trunk light (Skip to 5:50):

Here is a link to the light assembly on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Trunk-Courtesy-Light-Lamp-Assembly-84611GA000-for-Subaru-Sedan-1985-2018/153507958460?fits=Year%3A2013%7CModel%3ALegacy%7CSubmodel%3A2.5i+Premium%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.5L%7CMake%3ASubaru&epid=1611310907&hash=item23bdc98ebc:g:hToAAOSwEWJc8E-G:sc:USPSFirstClass!01845!US!-1

Hey, that explains it! It is missing! If I get another one and hook it back up, I should be good to go. Thanks!

Hey, that explains it! It is missing! If I get another one and hook it back up, I should be good to go. Thanks!

Haha no problem. The trunk light assembly shouldn't be too expensive + the small 168 bulb. I personally use an LED bulb for it.

Haha no problem. The trunk light assembly shouldn't be too expensive + the small 168 bulb. I personally use an LED bulb for it.

The replacement part I ordered today seems to indicate that it comes with a bulb. If it doesn’t, I might put an LED in so it’s brighter. Thanks!

The replacement part I ordered today seems to indicate that it comes with a bulb. If it doesn’t, I might put an LED in so it’s brighter. Thanks!

Ya it'll probably be a standard halogen bulb. LED probably would be better as long as it's not too expensive.

I got my trunk light assembly in the mail yesterday. As expected, it took all of two minutes to put in. My trunk is lit again!

FYI, it did come with a bulb installed already.

Thanks for the pictures. It really helped me figure out where it’s supposed to go without having to screw around for too long.

I got my trunk light assembly in the mail yesterday. As expected, it took all of two minutes to put in. My trunk is lit again!

FYI, it did come with a bulb installed already.

Thanks for the pictures. It really helped me figure out where it’s supposed to go without having to screw around for too long.

Haha no problem. Here are the bulbs I use for things like my license plate lights and such things that use the same bulb. They'll work for your trunk light if you want to use it...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZBNBHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Trunk lights always were necessary for me, I have had issues with my truck lights, especially the truck lights. As a normal person that has issues with something, I’ve tried to replace it with something that could be better, I was looking for trunk lights everywhere because I usually had to drive in the nighttime, exactly when truck lights were necessary the most. I tried their trunk lights - https://www.vont.com/product/vont-bulb-color-smart-light-bulbs-smart-bulbs/ And still delighted for the truck lights I got from them!