LegacyGT.com

Rear brake pads asymmetrical on 2013 Legacy 3.6R?

I ordered new pads and rotors for the Legacy.

Did the front a few days ago and when I got to the rear I ran into an unfortunate surprise.

Only one out of the four pads in the Akebono kit that I ordered have a clip riveted to the rear of the pad.

I double checked the car and both the inner rear pads in the have a clip riveted to the pad. I got the car with only 30k so I'm quite sure those are the original pads.

So I contacted the seller expecting the box was just loaded incorrectly. They said this is by design and all the kits are made like this. I looked at a couple other kits and sure enough only one out of the four pads has a clip.

I am really perplexed by this.

I can't imagine why any vehicle would need a clip only on one side. Did Subaru update this at some point and only require a clip on one side?

Apologies if this has been going over, I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Okay I think I found the answer.

It seems these are wear indicators and not necessary for holding the brake pad in place, which is what I thought.

It seems a lot of aftermarket manufacturers have opted to only include one to save cost, since if one is that worn they both need to be replaced anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I put Akebono pads on my car last time. I seem to recall that there was a squealer-clip only on one pad rear pad. Not sure about the fronts. The Wagner OEX pads I put on my wife’s Forester last weekend had them on both sides of the front and back pads. On all my other cars - Subarus and otherwise - those clips are hit or miss. Only my old BMW and Audi consistently didn’t have them, though I suspect it’s because those have electronic wear sensors instead.

This would seem to support your notion that each manufacturer does what they want. [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk