LegacyGT.com

3.6R Folks - What Voltage Does Your Alternator Typically Make

Hey! Since my battery died last year and I replaced it, I’ve had a little digital voltmeter/USB charger plugged into my cigarette lighter socket. I’ve noticed that my system voltage is like 14.7V when I first start the car up and it’s cold out, usually 14.5V or so when it’s warmer. Once I drive the car for a few miles and everything gets up to temp, it settles at 14.3-14.4V. According to the manual, it’s in spec, though on the higher side. Most cars I’ve measured — with healthy alternators — usually made 13.5-13.8V. I’m curious to see what other folks tend to see.

I freely admit that I haven’t measured the output voltage with a multimeter recently, so it might be that my cheap little socket-meter is a little overenthusiastic. I seem to recall doing that when I first got it and the readings jibed, though. I may be making that up. My memory’s like a steel sieve, you see.

So, yeah. What kind of voltage are you guys making? Just want to make sure I’m not about to overcook everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My JVC head unit says ~14.4V on startup and falls to 14.0-14.1 driving around.

I have seen 14.5+ in the dead of winter on a cold start. For comparison, My Goldwing reads 14.1 on startup and usually 13.8 or so after riding a while.

My understanding is anything between 13.7 and 14.4 running is generally considered a healthy charging system

Edited by poconoracing

Do you have a lot of things plugged in by chance?

I don’t think so. Just USB charger in the center console that’s usually not being used and the USB charger/voltmeter in the plug in the dash in front of the shifter.

Why?

I don’t think so. Just USB charger in the center console that’s usually not being used and the USB charger/voltmeter in the plug in the dash in front of the shifter.

Why?

I was just wondering if you may have been drawing a lot of power or something. It sounds like you should be fine.

I have seen on my 2010 outback 3.6R voltage range from 13.2 to 14.8. The ECM uses PWM (pulse width modulation) to control the alternator duty cycle to only charge the battery as needed. The readings are no different on my 2014 2.5i Legacy.

I have seen on my 2010 outback 3.6R voltage range from 13.2 to 14.8. The ECM uses PWM (pulse width modulation) to control the alternator duty cycle to only charge the battery as needed. The readings are no different on my 2014 2.5i Legacy.

Does it really? Neat! How does it interrupt the alternator charging? There’s no clutch on the alternator pulley besides the overrun clutch that I’m aware of. Does it collapse the field in the exciter coil or something? My only rough understanding of the physics involved would indicate to me that decoupling the coils like that would reduce the drag the alternator would generate so you’re not wasting horsepower, and as long as your battery was healthy, it would fill in the dip. I think. Either way, it sounds like the electric equivalent of a variable displacement pump. I know how those work, but this is new to me!

There is a wire that command alternator on and off

every modern car since the early to mid 1990's does this

I just looked into it. It turns out that wire you’re talking about is the field or exciter coil. It works exactly like I thought it did.