LegacyGT.com

Parking brake recall for 6MT Legacy/Outback models

Here is an obvious question (to me at least). Why would a service adviser set up an appointment for a recall, and not check to make sure parts are available?

Also, why would Subaru send out a letter stating parts are ready for the repairs, when they are not?

And why have we as a forum group not figured out how to modify a WRX handbrake to swap into our cars? [emoji38]

Getting off my soapbox now. ;)

Software or service advisors usually sets up appointments, not service managers. My experience has been the advisors just click buttons and the manager actually knows what's going on.

As for the handbrake, it just doesn't seem worth the effort just for a little added hooning ability.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had an appointment this past Monday to have this replaced. Instead of driving in for my 8:00 am appointment I called instead. Turns out they still don’t have the parts. They said they’ll call me when they come in. I got the notice in the mail the following day, but obviously they haven’t arrived at the dealers. I recommend anyone with an appointment call in advance to make sure they actually have the part in stock.

yea, that was my fault for not double checking with a phone call to the service dept

I'm going to go ahead and say everyone with a manual and very small percentage of AT/CVT drivers... ill say 4%

MT always, I use it on a hill with my OB AT.

I use the e-brake always my truck AT, but that is because my shift linkage & cable was modified for an beefier front drive shaft and it doesn't always engage the parking pawl in Park. The cable adjustment allows me to have 1st and an unreliable park or a reliable park and no 1st. I probably should adjust it for reliable Park, because I never manually shift to 1st anyways. The only time I have a need to use 1st was when I rebuilt the transmission was checking fluid pressures.

I'm going to go ahead and say everyone with a manual and very small percentage of AT/CVT drivers... ill say 4%

AT Legacy here. I set mine when I’m parked on a hill. I did have the Hill Holder or whatever they call that turned on for a little while just so that my parking brake got actuated from time to time to make sure it stayed limber. I’ve since turned that back off because I’m assuming (with little evidence) that they fail more often when they get used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT Legacy here. I set mine when I’m parked on a hill. I did have the Hill Holder or whatever they call that turned on for a little while just so that my parking brake got actuated from time to time to make sure it stayed limber. I’ve since turned that back off because I’m assuming (with little evidence) that they fail more often when they get used.

Most of the failures I can recall reading about were from those who do not regularly use them. I have always used mine, almost 6 years now and 50k miles. But climate may also be a factor in the failures of the control boards.

Most of the failures I can recall reading about were from those who do not regularly use them. I have always used mine, almost 6 years now and 50k miles. But climate may also be a factor in the failures of the control boards.

This is very true of the older cable operated brakes.

Growing up, when we lifted our Jeeps/trucks, the parking brake was one of the first things unhooked. Not saying it's right, but that's what a lot of us did. Hopfully today people are smarter.....hopfully.

how many of you use the parking brake every time you park? just curious..

She used it all the time. She grew up in a manual world and got used to it. Then the module failed and cost over $700.

Now it is rare.

The driveway is a hill but not steep.

I always use the e-brake to park. Ive always done it that way and I also don't leave it in gear as I installed the clutch starter bypass. My dealer is waiting for the parts to arrive. They had to completely fabricate a new part to fix this issue.

Growing up, when we lifted our Jeeps/trucks, the parking brake was one of the first things unhooked. Not saying it's right, but that's what a lot of us did. Hopfully today people are smarter.....hopfully.

Wasn’t that because when you lifted it the cable would be too short and lengthening it somehow would have been a pain? Seems like a fairly practical matter. You’re right that it wasn’t a great idea, but I could see why you’d do it.

Wasn’t that because when you lifted it the cable would be too short and lengthening it somehow would have been a pain? Seems like a fairly practical matter. You’re right that it wasn’t a great idea, but I could see why you’d do it.

Exactly.

Dropped the car off for the parking brake recall today. Took them about 4hrs. Everything seems to be working well. Is it just me, or is the parking brake much quieter than before? Maybe my factory unit was on its way out?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Mine is so loud. I really hope they are putting in a new motor and quieting things down.

got my car back after getting the parking brake recall done (among other things...) - it is definitely quite a bit quieter than it was before. (it's not as quiet as the 15+ with their caliper actuated system, but it's pretty quiet)