LegacyGT.com

rebourne's '06 OBXT build thread

What are your impressions on it vs the OBXT? I love the comfort of my TDI Sportwagen, but the FWD sucks in our winters. With the 6MT AWD and warranty I'd consider a 2018/2019 Alltrak even though the mpg and power look poopie on paper.

Even better if I could toss these in the next car as welld61bc69d0de0bac6c3bf4db8b3d15722.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend has a mk7R with DSG with APR tunes. It shifts so fast. It's grabs 3rd so hard and pulls, it was getting panicky. That sold me on the DSG.

Off the line, through the first 3 gears, the 170hp (flywheel) Alltrack is surprisingly quick, due to the DSG! After that, she's slow. Installing the golf R IS38 turbo will remedy that.

My outback is faster (300 wheel, similar weight), but the 5 speed's gears seems so far apart in comparison. Condition wise, my ob is showing it's age and the alltrack is brand new. no comparison there.

The plan was to sell the OB after the ski season. We were supposed to leave for Mammoth this weekend... That was likely the last trip. We went last year in June and had a blast, so there is hope for that.

I don't know what the plan is now. I keep changing my mind. I was thinking of taking an online tuning class, during this lock down, and try to tune it myself. It's got the forged pistons to give me some wiggle room.

Are those Golf R seats? Those bolt right in. common upgrade. I wouldn't bother unless I could get GTI Clubsport seats:

volkswagen-golf-gti-mk7-gti-clubsport-s-S3231317-7.jpg

Yea. I dabble is car repairs and getting very frustrated getting my OBXT right after pulling the engine. I'd rather be putting those efforts into the MR2. And now my TDI needs suspension work.

I'm on the fence about keeping the TDI and OBXT. Comfort and economy / Work truck, winter fun and bad weather..... but I'd almost rather consolidate the two cars as the TDI has 97k miles on it itself.

Been thinking of allroads but for a <50k mileage one, I can get a new Alltrack with b2b warranty.

OBXT is nice, but $40k is steep.

My seats are S4 seats. Basically bolted right in, but needed electrical done. They would toss right into the allroad and looks like MK7 golfs as well per fast google.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Somehow we have three awd cars in Sunny socal. We do go snowboarding a fair bit (my kids are getting to be little rippers), but there's only been 3x in the years that AWD was necessary, and we only take the OB. Then again, not having to get out of the car, put on chains, sliding around, that has been worth it to me.

The Alltrack just needs crossbars to hold the Whisperbars, the MuddyBuddy rubber hatch mat and it's ready to replace the OB. But then again... the OB takes a bit of a beating being with all the gear going in an out, and the way they gravel treat the roads up the mountain isn't doing the paint any favors. Not ready to put the Alltrack through that.

49731512236_6756a40195_h.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Totally forgot to post here that I replaced the starter. Autozone Duralast reman.

Why? Randomly the car wouldn't start. Eventually it started happening when the car was hot. The car would start at home, then leave me stuck at the store, or trying to drive home with everyone's fresh hot dinner.

It was absolutely maddening for a long while, because I thought it was something wrong with the battery and charging system. I would put my small battery jumper on it, and nothing would happen. I'd fiddle with it, re-read the instructions, let it sit on the battery for longer and finally the gods would smile at me and it would start. Drove me crazy wondering why the jumper didn't work right away. Well, nothing wrong with jumper or electrical... the starter needed to cool off. I guess it was seizing somewhere in there.

After walking through the entire starter electrical troubleshooting all that was left was the starter. I wacked it a few times with a hammer and lolwut it started! I kept a long pry bar and hammer in the car, and a good thwak on the starter with the pry bar / hammer combo and she'd be fixed for a few starts. Just long enough for me to get myself in another situation where not starting was a PITA.

When it started doing it every time I replaced the starter. Problem solved.

Ordered a few things to tidy up the OB:

Ebay:

oem missing rear headrest (always been missing one, but kids were too short to matter for many years. Now they are not. I ordered a set of all three and will pick the best of the lot.)

oem new power seat switch (passenger side is out, only goes fwd, ebay $78, dealer $116)

Amazon:

aftermarket drivers window switches (drivers side window switch is floppy/dead. $115 dealer, $38 after market)

aftermarket rear cup holder (kids used it as a step many years ago: *snap* )

Subaru:

turbo heat shield (mine was cut with a death wheel to clear VF52 actuator. Who cares? California. And for that never been modified look.)

rear spring cargo clip (one snapped, cheap from Subaru though! surprisingly only $10)

rear cargo cover handle and hook (stupid plastic hook is $23, but so handy)

Also have a 2008 head unit to install. My oem has a short in it or something. It randomly pops at full volume and the whole hvac goes off.

A bunch of little project to generate those "i fixed it" endorphins.

Ordered some new plugs, Oil, Air and Oil Filters, those will be in my hands later today. Will be picking up some more ATF and coolant before the end of Friday. Getting close to time for a TB change. Need to back to by build thread and remind myself how many miles on the car when the motor was rebuilt.

Have to prep the car for a 5K loop around the country.

5K loop, wow, over how many days?

I drive so little now, the 7 hour drive to mammoth leaves me stiff and needing a massage. I'm way out of driving fitness.

LMFAO... Was juggling so much yesterday thought this was the WDYDTYOB thread. LOL

It will be over the course of two full weeks.

The long runs are between Cali and Iowa. 25 Hours.

Then Texas back to Cali I am going to meet my nephew for the first time in NM.

Will be stopping to see friends and work at two sites one in MO and the other in TX.

LMFAO... Was juggling so much yesterday thought this was the WDYDTYOB thread. LOL

I figured that's what happened...

Double posting here from that same thread for my records:

I installed:

new passenger power seat switch (super easy job, with the right youtube video)

driver's side power window switch

2008 Head unit / HVAC

rear cup holder assembly

AQ installed:

stock (freshly rebuilt) turbo

L & R ball joints

new PS pump

L & R control arm bushings (they observed that the control arm bushing on the right side was completely separated, left nearly. That's probably been the source of the clunk I've been having! I thought it was the ball joint.)

The set of (used) rear headrests came in, and I am glad I ordered the full set. The color on the ebay ones is a bit darker, and they all match. If I had just replaced the missing one, it would stand out as being slightly darker than the other two. My old middle headrest had some marks on it, probably from some lumber or something rubbing on it, so I was happy to replace that with the much cleaner looking one from ebay.

Edited by rebourne