LegacyGT.com

Timing belt

So I planned on doing my timing belt today. The timing cover bolts were just spinning and don’t come out. So I had to break the covers which is why I just planned on changing all the covers, the timing belt kit, the cam and crank seals, reseal the oil pump. Everything.

Well I bought this car a little over a year ago. They did the timing change before I bought it. I assumed it would of just been a cheap brand with Chinese pulleys all that stuff. So I bought an aisin kit.

Well surprise surprise. After finally fighting with the covers. All the pulleys are made in Japan, water pump is oem. Only thing that I saw wasn’t made in Japan or oem was the belt itself.

So brings me to the real question. With this kit having only 10k on it should I put it back together with the old stuff they used and save the aisin kit for later use. Or replace everything since I’m in there anyways?

I would probably just reuse what is already on the motor. That sucks about the timing covers, it’s a lot of work to replace them. I might be a little worried about how tight the water pump bolts are if they overtorque the timing cover.

Okay thanks guys still up in there air if I want to reuse them or replace them. Lol

So another question in the search of trying to find this oil leak. I resealed my oil pump. Well I circle both bottom holes with rtv instead of just the one without the o ring. Looking at the guides it looks like they only circled one.

I’m assuming this is going to mess with the seal on the o ring if rtv gets on it correct? Should I remove it and redo it? Or should I be fine?

So next problem is it looks like I bought automatic rear timing covers.

The difference between them and the manual one is the manual covers have holes for the timing guides by the cams.

Now what would you guys do?

Use the automatic timing covers and just use the guide on the crank?

Or get the manual ones so I’m using all four guides?

OH HELL NOOOO!!!

YOU BETTER USE THOSE GUIDES!!!! RETURN AND EXCHANGE!!! 3 Guides not 4, top driver side doesn't use a guide.

Next thing you know your car timing jumps a tooth and fubars your engine or timing. Those guides may be small but they are important on the manuals.

the crank guide is on both auto and manual and is more so related to the engine mechanics, either way jumping teeth is no bueno it = your valves smashing against your pistons and #ynansb. The manuals are controlled by humans which means shifting can be more violent, basically shifting can cause a jolt, like when you down shift, stall etc. Automatics have torque converter, tech, electronics etc. and removes human input in the equation, so the engine wont see those kind of jolts. Those jolts will cause those cam gears to slip teeth.