LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

As others above I got the beefy primitive skid plate and the stinger tail too. Which meant I didnt think twice when I ended up crawling up some gnarly jeep trail in Colorado. I hit a bunch of stuff really hard with it. Harder than I'd care for even with the pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skidplate arrived today. It's not as heavy as I thought it would be. Nice and beefy though. I'll get it on Saturday morning if I don't get called in.

Side note- I love this car. We have had some pretty heavy rain the past few days and this car does great. The controls are laid out well and the chassis is pretty confidence inspiring. It is a pleasure to drive when the weather gets nasty.

Provide a pic of the tires on the car. Curious to see how they look and fit. I have the Geolandar on the 05. Not too bad for light off-road stuff.

I got the wrong size, but the good thing is that the seller will shoulder the return shipping. I will post a pic next time.

Today I installed the Primitive Racing skidplate, AVO rear sway braces and a Whiteline BSR39Z rear sway. I also gave her a bath. I don't have time this evening to go for a drive to test the rear sway, but I am sure it will tighten up that wiggly butt these cars seem to have.

As far as the AVO rear sway braces go, I had to add a .125in washer to the passenger side between the brace and the bushing cup to get everything to line up correctly. Drivers side didn't need anything. The AVO braces were dimensionally the same so it's not a production error. I looked everything over and I don't see any sign of misalignment or indications of having had the rear tweaked in a curb hit or anything. Car has no accidents on record. Just one of those things I guess.

Edit- Also I am at 21.5 psi peak with 18psi at 3100rpm in 3rd with the tune. Tapers to 18.5psi at redline. Things are coming together nicely

Edited by Abductee

Redid my grill yesterday morning by becoming part of a multi vehicle accident on the interstate. No one was seriously injured. Car was fantastic and will be again after I fix it. Insurance wants to total it but I told them to pound sand. Ill repair it myself. Nothing structural just body/radiator etc. Maybe $2k if I buy all new oem.

Anybody know if I can swap to the aluminum 05-07 hood without changing fenders? I only need to replace the drivers side and I like the body line on the facelift models

50411603557_425afc0480_z.jpg20200929_150856 by David Erdman, on Flickr

Edited by Abductee
Add photo

Redid my grill yesterday morning by becoming part of a multi vehicle accident on the interstate. No one was seriously injured. Car was fantastic and will be again after I fix it. Insurance wants to total it but I told them to pound sand. Ill repair it myself. Nothing structural just body/radiator etc. Maybe $2k if I buy all new oem.

Anybody know if I can swap to the aluminum 05-07 hood without changing fenders? I only need to replace the drivers side and I like the body line on the facelift models

Get a JDM front end like I did! There are a couple on ebay I think.

JDM goodies get delivered the 12th. Once it gets here I'll figure out where I am going to graft everything together. The seller did me a favor and dropped the price and isn't sending me the hood as it's a non turbo model. Any 05-09 lgt hood will work correct?

Thanks in advance

That's the one I picked up.

Dang. I recall several months back, I asked them the same and they said no. I guess it's been sitting for so long in their warehouse that this time, they said yes.

If it is the nose cut I am thinking of, you'll get the nice headlights with the washers. Although those may be difficult to adjust the beam pattern for left hand drive.

I had the thought of switching to a front mount and using the hood, but I haven't even really got to experience the car with a finished tune. I was still taking it easy somewhat only doing the pulls the tuner was requesting. Maybe swap later on but not for a while. I'm looking forward to getting it back on the road.

Sourced hood and another set of 08-14 sti cooling fans. Now everyone involved in the accident has retained a lawyer except little old me. So guess what I'm doing tomorrow? Ugh I hate this.

One question for the guys that have messed with the ac on these cars- filter dryer is desiccant in the condensing coil on the passenger side right?

Thanks in advance

I had swapped to them previously when I had a fan go out. They seem to pull more air. It gets pretty hot here. Between the Koyorad radiator, sti fans, and lowering the fan activation temperatures my coolant temp never gets above 185F even at 100F ambient and ac blasting. Plus they are 3/4" shallower in overall depth, so you gain a little bit of room.

yeah, just larger in terms of circumference. The width is the same as stock. Mine rubs just a little when I turn left/right, but not much at all.

I am glad I have these tires now that we hit so many dirt/gravel/sandy roads.

I Searched pretty extensively, and it seems like 215/60/17 is the biggest you can go without a lift.. We have weird sized wheel wells which are really more designed for a legacy. I ended up getting stock sized tires.

Regaining some love for my OBXT... Been using it a lot more since I only drive a couple miles at a time which is bad for the TDI. the Jetta wagon just doesn't drive the same even with suspension mods. The plan was to use the subie for local runs / work and hauling / outdoor adventure stuff and not have to buy a new snow blower since mine is too small for me new drive.

I've shoved OBXT springs into my LGT struts and actually really like it.. Gained about 2" over the LGT H&R springs, but not as tall as stock, nor as bouncy.

Have a buyer for my 18" Ultraleggras which I'll be sad to see go, but they don't look right on a taller outback.

Got a boost leak and small oil leak to chase down (not near turbo). If that is nothing major, my winter project is fab up my Jetta Seats into the car.

Gone back to stock wheels with 225/55/17 Sumotomo ice edge