LegacyGT.com

XT Hood Scoop

Not sure how the rest of you feel, but I think Subaru kinda left us high and dry by excluding a hood scoop on the XT. The Fxt, sure - the OBXT maybe- but definitely not the LXT.

I found a company online that has made a FXT and Ascent aftermarket hood that comes with the hood scoop!

968660ea2d56c2ec523dfe4391d411a2.jpg

They're called Compressive tuning:

https://compressivetuning.com/

I emailed them last month and they said that they will be working on a hood for us XT owners in the near future.

I'm excited as I can't really do much in terms of performance on the car to not void the warranty, so why not make it look more aggressive?

Thought I'd share! Anyways here's a pic of my XT I picked up in March and have put less than 2k miles in due to covid....

-Zack

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3f8228f4c726b1769b3d9a0feca0ab67.jpg

Edited by Zack Spec B

• 2 weeks later...

I have both 2020 Legacy XT and 2021 Ascent Touring. This hood with a hoodscoop looks really good on Ascent but it is pricey. They don't come painted and also it's made out of fiberglass. It costs about $3k for everything including the paint. I couldn't justify to spend that much for a family car, so I went ahead and just did xpel film on the regular hood.

Maybe when they come out with XT one, I'll look into it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I really dislike how Subaru ditched the hood scoop on all turbo models except the WRX and STI.

They know it's not an efficient design. I'm also upset they don't offer the LXT in 6MT, I'll be keeping my '15 WRX for the foreseeable future.

• 5 weeks later...
While I love the hood scoop, it does not add any functionality to the Legacy. Keep in mind the vent that leads to the inter cooler has already been designed and tested. I replied to one of Compressive Tuning’s posts on Instagram and they said no testing was done as far as cooler air or any kind of gains. In essence, it is just visual then. Might look cool but if it doesn’t add anything to it, I rather leave it alone.

It's not about cooler air, it's the volume of air that comes in to the intercooler. The Mazdaspeed 3 had better performance in the 2010-2014 models when they added the hood scoop vs. the early year models that didn't.

The LXT isn't marketed as a performance car, it's a consumer car with a little more pep but not the extent of the 3.6R. They would have offered this car in manual if they wanted it to be a performance car and they would have designed it with a hood scoop.

Although the upside to not having a hood scoop is a cleaner engine bay :lol:

"I'm excited as I can't really do much in terms of performance on the car to not void the warranty, so why not make it look more aggressive?"

My dealer says I'm good to go if I want to add the Cobb tune/Map. (They have one already for the Ascent). It is in the works but who knows actual market date.

Good luck, I honestly wouldn’t make power mods with a CVT. Every person I’ve met with a CVT WRX or FXT had transmission issues once they added power.

Stage 1 is fine but I wouldn’t add more power.

My other tidbit of advice would be, get your valves and intake tract Walnut Blasted every 50k miles. Maybe annually if you want to be anal about it, but get them cleaned properly. Find a performance shop that does it, many euro shops offer it and some Subaru shops do. A lot of Subaru Dealerships offer a Direct Injection Chemical cleaning service, don't do it. It won't lost long and it ruins your spark plugs.

I just had it done on my WRX for the first time yesterday after 5 1/2 years 136k miles. I have EGR and TGV Deletes and Meth Injection which is supposed to eliminate carbon build up on the valves, but it only does so much. I avoided doing it all these years because I thought I installed everything to prevent it but the carbon build up was still pretty bad. I was getting a raspy rough idle on start up and intermittent cruise knocking. Now the car starts up and drives like it's brand new and pulls even harder than the 2 times I had it tuned.

My mods are: TGV & EGR Deletes, Grimmspeed EBCS, Cobb Catted TBE, Grimmspeed TMIC and chargepipe, AEM Water/Meth Injection, makes 355whp/390tq.

Moral of the story: get your valves and intake walnut blasted. If you start to notice a rough, raspy idle, it's time to get it done.

Edited by THE RZA

Thank you for the advice. Here are my thoughts....

1. The FA24 is a very well built motor. I don't think I'll come close to over doing it (see below)

2. Cobb typically has an Eco, 87+ and 93 map. I'm going to do the 87+. (Stage 1) Probably go from 260 to 290 or 300 HP. The 93 is rated at 330.

3. I'm not racing or doing anything nuts. The car will be driven as designed.

4. Agree on the CVT. I suspect the map will change the way the motor and CVT integrate which is a good. It is slushy now. However the CVT is the weak point.

Let's see what Cobb releases and I'll go from there and report back.

1. The FA platform is great, if you take care of the car and don't beat the shit out of it regularly the car will last a very long time. In october I had overheating issue, turned out one of the elbows used on the coolant line to bypass the EGR for the delete was cracked and I was leaking coolant like crazy. I thought I blew a head gasket, surprisingly I didn't, engine passed 3 chemical leak tests and it's been good ever since. It's even better now that I had walnut blasting done.

2. I don't want to rain on your parade, but you're not gaining 40HP from a Cobb OTS Map that runs on 87 octane. Your car is 260hp stock from the crank on 91 and 93 octane, that equates to 240ish HP to the wheels, even less when you're running 87 octane. For reference the WRX is 268 crank hp with 93 octane, at wheels comes out to 240hp.

I've had mine on the dyno 4 times, once stock which came out to 240whp/255wtq on a mustang dyno running 93. Second time was with a Cobb OTS stage 1 map the same day, this came out to 260whp/275 tq....the cobb stage 1 OTS map expands acceleration to red line but it's also a lot more linear and you don't get as much low end torque.

In short, I don't think you're going to gain 40hp on a OTS map running 87 octane, granted your car is using a FA24DIT not a FA20DIT I just don't see it gaining 40hp even at the crank. Your car is bigger and heavier than a WRX, it'll most likely be more like 280 from the crank (260whp). It's cool Cobb is putting effort in to developing tuning options for the FA24DIT, it's probably in preparation for the 2021 STI so they'll have products available immediately when it's released.

I think you are correct based on the Ascent. I was told the Ascent was getting 330 on 93 so extrapolated from there. However looks like the testing shows:

Stage1 93 Oct.

Peak Gains: +8% HP / +14% TQ

Max Gains: +21% HP at 4400 RPM / +21% TQ at 3800 RPM

Stage1 87+ Oct.

Peak Gains: +5% HP / +3% TQ

Max Gains: +9% HP at 4400 RPM / +9% TQ at 3800 RPM

So on a 87+ tune that is 23.4 or about 284 total. 93 tune is more like it (over 300hp) but I'm not going there. If it improves the driving experience, comes with multiple maps I'm in. But first, let's see if it comes out. Thank you for the post and time you put into that.... My only experience with "boost" was with Roush and a SC is different. But 700 crank and 500 wheel at 5280 ft was amazing.....