LegacyGT.com

OBXT vs LGT

I have owned 6 Subarus so far in this order:

1. 2000 2.5RS coupe 5 speed bought new- I miss this car everyday

2. 2001 2.5RS coupe 5 speed with EJ20

3. 02 WRX wagon 5 speed- fell in love with wagons and turbos

4. 06 Legacy 2.5i- wifes car so it was auto, non turbo and just put oil and gas in it but it was a great car

5. 06 Forester 5 speed- non turbo but I love wagons

6. 04 FXT with a rare 5 speed- Like I said, I love wagons and turbos

I am apart of NASIOC ( member # below 20,000) and a forester forums, Im new to the LGT and Outback side of Subaru. Uncharted waters.

Now my debate my wife likes the LGT and I like the OBXT. I want to make her happy but since she cant drive a manual I will get what I want but if I find a good deal on a good LGT then I will lean that way.

Is there any year that is better than another year with LGT or OBXT. I like the 05-09 body style and it must be manual. I would prefer a Spec B over a LGT.

I also like modding my cars so the first mod I would like to do would be springs and struts or coilover then up/down pipes and full exhaust and that is about as far as I usually go.

Any info would be appreciated.

• Moderators

So you mention a couple of different cars: OBXT, LGT, and spec.b

OBXT. Available 05-09 with 5mt. Higher ground clearance, but can be lowered. Different drive ratio with accompanying larger stock tires (225/55r17). Body spacers throughout the vehicle, essentially creating a body lift or drivetrain lowering, depending on how you look at it.

LGT. Available 05-09 with 5mt.

Spec.b. Available in 06 with a 5mt, bilsteins, some aluminum suspension components, red leather interior. Available 07-09 with a 6mt and bilsteins/aluminum bits. 07s have blue alcantara inserts for the interior, 08/09 has black alcantara.

Some folks will say that certain years are known for having issues. 07-09 have oil pickup issues, 08 have bearing issues, etc. I haven't seen any actual data there, so I would just say that you should look for a well maintained vehicle, same as you would do for any used turbo subaru.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators

Also, I own a modified OBXT. One issue that you might want to think about is that when you lower it you may find yourself wanting smaller tires overall. This will affect your speedometer / odometer if you care. I'm pretty sure it can be fixed with some ABS unit mods, but just one more headache along the way. An OBXT also runs pretty high in the RPM range on the highway in my experience. Take one for a test drive.

If you want a wagon with a manual transmission you are stuck with an 05-09 OBXT or an 05 LGT wagon.

If I were in the market now I would probably look for an 09 OBXT as a starting platform. Start with the newest available.

How is the OBXT to mod? I know that my FXT has ALOT of STI parts so I am guessing the OBXT has a lot of LGT parts.

What have you done to your OBXT? As far as HP, what would I be looking at number wise with a full exhaust. My FXT needs a tune if a fly lands on my intake, its real touchy but my 02 WRX I did a full exhaust and it ran like a champ with the 2 liter.

• Moderators
How is the OBXT to mod? I know that my FXT has ALOT of STI parts so I am guessing the OBXT has a lot of LGT parts.

What have you done to your OBXT? As far as HP, what would I be looking at number wise with a full exhaust. My FXT needs a tune if a fly lands on my intake, its real touchy but my 02 WRX I did a full exhaust and it ran like a champ with the 2 liter.

The 2.5 EJ255/257 drive train is pretty much the same between STi, FXT, WRX, LGT, OBXT. Differences in flanged vs non-flanged turbos and tmic setups between the STi/FXT and newer WRXs/LGTs/OBXTs.

I've done everything to my OBXT (more or less) aside from building the motor. Build thread here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bmbs-obxt-build-thread-203319.html

uppipe isn't too bad to install. Getting it off is harder than putting it on.

I have done one a few times on WRX's and its not bad but I would rather spend my time doing something more fun like watching paint dry or something like that.

Good, I found a 08 that I have my eye one if somebody will buy my FXT.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as suspension the lgt and obxt share most parts with 08+ wrx/sti since they are the same platform.

If you really want quick, reliable, and subaru go with a 5th gen lgt and stage 1 custom tune. [emoji14]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Archived