LegacyGT.com

Lights do not turn off after car is turned off

I have a 2011 Subaru Legacy and I recently installed a keyless entry system for it.

Every thing is working fine right now except my lights that do not turn off automatically. I used to always have my lights on "Auto" mode. So when the car was on, the lights were turned on automatically and when the car was off, the lights would turn off automatically. After they keyless entry system installation, even though my lights are on "Auto" mode, they don't turn off when I turn off the car.

The strange part is, after I turn off the car, if I manually turn the lights knob to any mode other than "Auto" and then go back to "Auto" mode, the lights do not turn on. So this means the car knows that lights should be off when the car is off, but it doesn't do that automatically when the car is turned off.

Any ideas what might be the issue?

The wiring for the keyless entry system is in here.

Thanks in advance

You installed an aftermarket keyless system and it is confusing the BIU. That is the problem.

exactly this. the aftermarket system uses OEM components to "trick" the car in to doing what it wants, if the car is now acting up after installing it, its because the aftermarket remote start wasnt tapped into the proper things.

exactly this. the aftermarket system uses OEM components to "trick" the car in to doing what it wants, if the car is now acting up after installing it, its because the aftermarket remote start wasnt tapped into the proper things.

Newer cars don't trick anything, the inputs and outputs are programmed into the BIU.

Thank you all for your replies. Probably I should have been more specific.

I installed a passive keyless entry and a start push button. This means when I get close to the car, the doors get unlocked automatically without me pressing any button on my remote and when I get far from the car, the doors get unlocked automatically. I can also turn on the car by pressing the button I have installed.

The other strange behavior is, when I turn on the car and put the car in Drive mode, the daylight running lights turn on even when the light knob is on "Off" mode.

The part that surprises me is, I have not touched any wiring for the lights. These are the wires that I had to connect to my new system: ignition harness wires, the trunk wire, the horn wire, foot brake wire, lock and unlock wires. That is why I'm not really sure how can this device affect the way lights are working!!

Is there anyone here that has installed any passive key less entry that does not have this issue? I would like to know what system they have installed. Seems like the one I have is confusing my lights.

Thank you all for your replies. Probably I should have been more specific.

I installed a passive keyless entry and a start push button. This means when I get close to the car, the doors get unlocked automatically without me pressing any button on my remote and when I get far from the car, the doors get unlocked automatically. I can also turn on the car by pressing the button I have installed.

The other strange behavior is, when I turn on the car and put the car in Drive mode, the daylight running lights turn on even when the light knob is on "Off" mode.

The part that surprises me is, I have not touched any wiring for the lights. These are the wires that I had to connect to my new system: ignition harness wires, the trunk wire, the horn wire, foot brake wire, lock and unlock wires. That is why I'm not really sure how can this device affect the way lights are working!!

Is there anyone here that has installed any passive key less entry that does not have this issue? I would like to know what system they have installed. Seems like the one I have is confusing my lights.

The lights and everything else in the car is controlled by the biu, which is controlled in part by the key switch. You have indeed messed with the lighting by modifying the key switch or ignition wiring.

This is why these aftermarket systems are a terrible idea in practice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

...The other strange behavior is, when I turn on the car and put the car in Drive mode, the daylight running lights turn on even when the light knob is on "Off" mode...

The DRLs aren’t controlled by the headlight switch.

When trying headlight switch is on, I think our headlights stay on until the key is removed from the ignition. Does your car always beep when the drivers door is opened as if you left the key in the ignition?

When trying headlight switch is on, I think our headlights stay on until the key is removed from the ignition. Does your car always beep when the drivers door is opened as if you left the key in the ignition?

Thanks NVAKeith for your reply. That explains this behavior. I had to cut one of my keys and leave it inside the ignition to unlock the steering wheel to make sure when I'm turning on the car with the start push button, I can still steer my car. And as you mentioned, I do hear the car beeping when I open the door.

I guess I have never paid attention to this fact before that the lights stay on even when the car is turned off and they just turn off after the key is removed.

Seems like no matter what passive keyless entry system I install, as long as that key is inside the ignition, the lights will not turn off automatically when the car is turned off.

Is there any other way to unlock the steering wheel other than having the key inside the ignition?

My headlights don't turn off until I take the key out of the ignition, I can confirm that.