LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. Our 5 year old is pretty tall and only using a fairly slim booster seat. I have already test fitted three car seats in the car. It will fit but sure, it'll be a bit of a pain. I will also buy something like this for the older kid. It will make it easier for him to buckle up. We'll see how it goes.

Probably depends on state, but I think most states prohibit the use of boosters until age 8 or some certain weight. If that's the case, it would still be tough for about 2+ years until one of them can be in the booster.

My kids are almost 8 and 5. The little guy is still in a high back booster. The middle seat is extremely tight by anyone older than 10 in my 11 Outback. If I sat back there I couldn’t put my arms down.

My Forester is definitely bigger back there but still not exactly third row roomy.

My wife previously drove the Legacy. The only reason we traded it was because of the car seat fiasco in our Outback so we wanted something bigger for vacations.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and to be perfectly honest there are things that I’m not pleased with with the new Forester but it is still night and day better than my Outback. I love the Foz.

I wish i had done more education and research on the Honda stuff, like the Timing Belt and VCM and DI. I also foolishly rushed into a first model year which seems to have quirks. And Honda sensing and CarPlay.

Oh well. When it bothers the Mrs I will be happy to be rid of it. Maybe she will take my Foz and I’ll get an Ascent. Or even an EV Ascent at that point ;)

Probably depends on state, but I think most states prohibit the use of boosters until age 8 or some certain weight. If that's the case, it would still be tough for about 2+ years until one of them can be in the booster.

Law, federal I believe, requires use of a booster at least until 8 or until certain height and weight factors have been met. My daughter outgrew her safety harness long before she outgrew the car seat/booster itself. She is 5 and in either a high back booster or convertible diono radian car seat. My son is almost two and just got turned to forward facing, but he is bigger than she was at his age. It is really tough to leave them rear facing the way the seats are designed and given how little room there is in the second row of even our minivan. My wife really wants the Ascent now, but we need a few things to line up for us, mostly to get the balance on her Odyssey down to where we aren't taking a huge hit with negative equity. I do think we will be making the switch this summer though.

I really am considering a lease for a couple years, but that would mean keeping the miles down which hasn't been easy for my wife, but we could probably make do if we had to. I just don't want to start second guessing 2 years into a 5 year loan again.

car-seat-dos-and-donts.thumb.png.3eec94bc767d755a879493bec525643b.png

If you’re leasing with the intent to purchase at the end, the miles are irrelevant.

You could also buy the lease with high miles at the end and then guaranteed trade in value it towards a new lease and then pay off the loan with a check from the dealer.

I have a coworker that drives around 30k per year and does just that. Depending on the miles you will take a hit for the GTP value though.

If you’re leasing with the intent to purchase at the end, the miles are irrelevant.

You could also buy the lease with high miles at the end and then guaranteed trade in value it towards a new lease and then pay off the loan with a check from the dealer.

I have a coworker that drives around 30k per year and does just that. Depending on the miles you will take a hit for the GTP value though.

I don't know, that is the problem. I wish we would have leased this minivan, lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Law, federal I believe, requires use of a booster at least until 8 or until certain height and weight factors have been met. My daughter outgrew her safety harness long before she outgrew the car seat/booster itself. She is 5 and in either a high back booster or convertible diono radian car seat. My son is almost two and just got turned to forward facing, but he is bigger than she was at his age. It is really tough to leave them rear facing the way the seats are designed and given how little room there is in the second row of even our minivan. My wife really wants the Ascent now, but we need a few things to line up for us, mostly to get the balance on her Odyssey down to where we aren't taking a huge hit with negative equity. I do think we will be making the switch this summer though.

I really am considering a lease for a couple years, but that would mean keeping the miles down which hasn't been easy for my wife, but we could probably make do if we had to. I just don't want to start second guessing 2 years into a 5 year loan again.

Here they now recommend backwards-facing up to 4 or 5 years...

I wonder how I survived...

453747.png

The recommendation here is for as long as possible, unfortunately it is easier said than done. When we bought our Diono radian it was mostly because of its high weight rating for the child harness, up to 90Lbs IIRC unfortunately having a 3 year old even sit backwards at such awkward angles just wasn't feasible. Then my oldest outgrew the harness's bottom buckle so we moved her to a seatbelted booster position.

That's ridiculous. My 5yo knees would be in his chest. He's not a particularly tall kid either.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

When I was a kid my mother let my siblings and me stand up in the front seat. When braking, she would just stick out her arm to hold us.

Usually that was just around town, so speeds were lower. On the highway, we were in the back seat.

That's ridiculous. My 5yo knees would be in his chest. He's not a particularly tall kid either.

A bit dramatic, lol. The Diono radian and other extended rear facing seats have very low side so kids can sit cross legged or hang their legs over the sides, you can also recline the rear seats in an SUV or van to give a little extra room.

I have found though comfort isn't as big a deal as keeping the kid happy enough to sit willingly in the seat. Ultimately the safest position after a certain age is the one the kid will willingly use. It won't be safe to have them unbuckling themselves during a drive, hence our kids are both forward facing now, not our preference, but it is what is comfortable physically, and emotionally, for them.

My daughter never complained about sitting rear facing, she simply outgrew the harness which made the switch necessary to FF. My son on the other hand refused to sit rear facing any longer.

Edited by FLlegacy

• 1 month later...
Anyone having the issue of radio presets being wiped out every 3-5 starts?

2019 Limited.

Seems like a common issue based on Ascent forums. There seems to be an update that fixes it now.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

We are going to tomorrow to see a Crimson Red Premium 7 pass, we have been waiting a couple weeks for it to arrive. If not this premium, then my wife fell in love with an abyss blue pearl limited, assuming it is still there that is.

Telluride stying is semi-reminiscent of a landrover, but not in a way that makes me want to own one. If it holds true to KIA branding, wait a year or two and buy it used for a huge discount.

Not a fan of the styling at all, just feels like Kia is overcompensating. Hyundai version is no better. But I'm a big fan of the Ascent styling, though it's a tie between the 2019 Highlander and the Ascent for me from the front, both are meh from the back.

Speaking of Highlander styling, I had high hopes for 2020 Highlander, but it looks like a minivan version of 2014 Highlander. It's ugly and still tiny, thus I think we'll be sticking to Ascent.

Telluride stying is semi-reminiscent of a landrover, but not in a way that makes me want to own one. If it holds true to KIA branding, wait a year or two and buy it used for a huge discount.

Agreed, they seem to depreciate really badly. I wonder if it's because Kia's are truly unreliable or people's perceptions are just hard to change.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK