LegacyGT.com

2017 2018 New owners used to own Gt?

I'm looking at a new legacy 3.6 for work and family . I was one of the first owners of legacy Gt models back in the day. And I still think it's my favorite car of all time.

Are there any owners that used to own a GT and now own a 3.6? Thoughts. Is the 3.6 adequate? I'm thinking of a forester Xt too.

I've never driven the old generation Legacy GTs (I would love to but never had the chance). I can however imagine it mentally compared to other cars I have been in.

I would venture to say if you're the type of guy that appreciated a 4th gen Legacy GT - you're not going to like the 6th Gen Legacy, even one with a 3.6

The 6th gen legacy is heavier, number, and most importantly is powered through a hum drum CVT. You old Legacy rewarded you with the experience of winding out the turbo and slamming through gears. While the 3.6 is a gem of an engine, the CVT kills the enthusiasm of driving it.

Given the choice, purely for the driving experience, I would take an 05 GT over a 15 Legacy any day.

Honestly OP, after thinking about your post for a minute, the current car most like your old GT will be the WRX. You can get a nicely equipped WRX for about what a 3.6 Legacy would go for. You'll still get performance, more so than your old GT, the ability to use the car for family duties, and still retain the ability to wind the thing out and row through gears.

No way is a WRx like and ‘05 GT. The GT was a refined car, the WRX is a racer boy vape car.

This is why older people chose the GT over the WRX back in ‘05.

I recently test drove a WRX 6 speed. Nice car, but I would grow tired of driving it.

Never driven a 3.6, but I do have a ‘17 legacy. It is a good car for what it is. I have owned a 4th gen GT and 2.5,a 5th gen 2.5 and two 6th gen 2.5’s. The GT was my first Legacy love, but I would not want it as a daily driver today. The 6th gen is a much better package.

---

I have a 2017 Forester XT and LOVE IT! Such a sleeper at a red light...no one expects this thing to take off like a rocket:lol:

I'm seriously considering the Xt. My only issue is the forester looks a little bland for me. Great suv though.

Honestly OP, after thinking about your post for a minute, the current car most like your old GT will be the WRX. You can get a nicely equipped WRX for about what a 3.6 Legacy would go for. You'll still get performance, more so than your old GT, the ability to use the car for family duties, and still retain the ability to wind the thing out and row through gears.

I have a loaded 11 wrx limited in pristine condition. I wanted something somewhat quick and some luxury.

Never had a GT, had a 2010 2.5i which I loved it, but now I love the 3.6R 2018 model, the car is refined and the CVT is pretty good, acceleration is very smooth.

I’d stay away from WRX.

yes, i already own a 2011 wrx limited with leather and all the bells and whistles. I miss comfort and size of the GT though. I currently also own the 2016 impreza so I've gotten used to the CVT.

No way is a WRx like and ‘05 GT. The GT was a refined car, the WRX is a racer boy vape car.

This is why older people chose the GT over the WRX back in ‘05.

I recently test drove a WRX 6 speed. Nice car, but I would grow tired of driving it.

Never driven a 3.6, but I do have a ‘17 legacy. It is a good car for what it is. I have owned a 4th gen GT and 2.5,a 5th gen 2.5 and two 6th gen 2.5’s. The GT was my first Legacy love, but I would not want it as a daily driver today. The 6th gen is a much better package.

They definitely are different. The wife complains of the wrx drone. I miss the GT. If the old GT came out today, I'd buy it. Even with old technology.

I have had "performance" oriented cars prior to owning my Legacy (Genesis Coupe 3.8 being the fastest), and the 3.6R is still satisfying enough. The added amenities and comfort are what sold me on the Legacy.

Some people will say it's a dad car, but I am 26 and and all my friends love the car too.

In the 2018, they must have made some ECU enhancements because the CVT does a better job of providing firm fake shifts, and throttle input seems a bit more linear over my fiancee's 2017 3.6R.

Your best bet is probably to test drive both the Legacy 3.6R and Forester XT and form your own opinion.

This is my second Legacy, so I can say coming from the previous gen. 2012 3.6R, the CVT is not really a bad transmission. It's actually much smoother without the annoy quirks of the 5EAT in the last gen.

Man, you guys are harsh on us WRX owners. Not all of us are flat-brim vaping tire stretchers. :lol:

I owned an 09 Legacy, and although it was a little more comfortable than the WRX, I don't know if I'd say it was refined.

OP, for what it's worth, I have zero issues with the way the 2.5 drives so I'd imagine you'd be just fine with the 3.6. I daily'd my 06 WRX for 2+ years at stage 2 power levels, and although it isn't an LGT, I feel it's close enough.

If you're looking for comfort and an updated interior, the 2.5 is the way to go. If you're looking for comfort, an updated interior, AND a little more power, the 3.6 is the way to go.

So I had test driven the 3.6 legacy and forester xt. both really different. i liked the pickup and cargo space in the forester. the interior was nice too.

but i really liked the legacy 3.6. i drove a fully loaded one and the eyesight was impressive. it was my first time experience with that technology. i also loved the screen of the radio with android auto. the blue light accents and the quality of the leather was better than the forester. the ride was really smooth and it was quiet. keep in mind i owned a new legacy gt back in 05 and have seen the evolution of the car. my legacy gt (back when) and my current rex obviously has that kick when the turbo kicks in. i really miss that in the current legacy. i think what bothers me most about the current legacy is how the rear looks. it's so plain. not bad but like a camry. all in all i think i'm going with a 3.6 in a couple of months. i appreciate all the comments. btw, i realized i've been on this forum since 06. how time flies.

do you guys know if the 2019 model will have the 2.4 turbo?

@phuzaxeman...I have a 2017 Forester XT Touring LOADED for the wife. It has Eye Sight and the new head unit with Android Auto and Apple Car play too. It really depends on what you will be using the vehicle for. I, personally, do not care for the Outback. The Legacy and the Forester are both awesome vehicles and the Forester XT will easily outrun a 3.6 Legacy and has far more cargo room and my wife likes FAST and lots of cargo room to make Costco runs, etc.

From what I have heard, and nothing is solid at this point, is that the 3.6 is going away in favor of the new 2.4 debuting in the Ascent. Many manufacturers are trying to get every drop of mileage out of their engines and the 2.4 will be a better bet for Suby going forward but we'll all know more soon as we approach the Summer months.

@phuzaxeman...I have a 2017 Forester XT Touring LOADED for the wife. It has Eye Sight and the new head unit with Android Auto and Apple Car play too. It really depends on what you will be using the vehicle for. I, personally, do not care for the Outback. The Legacy and the Forester are both awesome vehicles and the Forester XT will easily outrun a 3.6 Legacy and has far more cargo room and my wife likes FAST and lots of cargo room to make Costco runs, etc.

From what I have heard, and nothing is solid at this point, is that the 3.6 is going away in favor of the new 2.4 debuting in the Ascent. Many manufacturers are trying to get every drop of mileage out of their engines and the 2.4 will be a better bet for Suby going forward but we'll all know more soon as we approach the Summer months.

The forester XT is a really nice vehicle. And I really like everything about it especially the turbo.

I don't care for the outback. It's too quirky for me. I know a lot of people like it and that's cool. I had the outback for 1mos while they were fixing our tribeca and I missed the tribeca. The slower engine in the outback was annoying me (there's more of a delay in the pedal). We have a 2016 impreza and I like our impreza better than the base model outback. But I want to upgrade the impreza to either the XT or the legacy 3.6.

At this point I'm I leaning to the 3.6. I just like the size of the interior. It's also a more comfortable ride. I like the feel of the torque while cruising too. I miss the mid-size feel.

If the new 2019 model has the turbo, I'll wait for that. I have a some pro subaru tuners in my area that I might want to do a tune. They've done great work on my wrx. THanks.

Sorry...was getting my Son's 2017 Impreza Limited and my wife's Forester confused when it came to the radio. The new Impreza, like the new 18 Legacy, comes with the new HK head unit. The Forester still has the top-line Fujitsu which I think is very good and is the same as my 15 Legacy...never had an issue with either one.

I like the 3.6 engine but would prefer the 2.4 turbo because your torque curve will be far better and the gas mileage too. The 2.4 should perform far better than the 3.6 NA.

Sorry...was getting my Son's 2017 Impreza Limited and my wife's Forester confused when it came to the radio. The new Impreza, like the new 18 Legacy, comes with the new HK head unit. The Forester still has the top-line Fujitsu which I think is very good and is the same as my 15 Legacy...never had an issue with either one.

I like the 3.6 engine but would prefer the 2.4 turbo because your torque curve will be far better and the gas mileage too. The 2.4 should perform far better than the 3.6 NA.

Yeah, turbo would be cool.

"

That is providing that you aren't suckered into thinking you will be saving gas by having a turbo charged engine .... or if you are forced to open your wallet if one day it needs replacing :lol:

"

I've owned the 05 legacy gt up @ 120k before I traded it in for the 11 wrx limited. It's 2018 and still have my 11 wrx and runs like a charm. I have never had problems with the turbo on both models probably because I baby my cars and religious on oil changes.

It's actually my 08 3.6 Tribeca (it's 10 yrs old) that I had to open my wallet and spend 3k on repairing a head gasket leak last month.

Archived