LegacyGT.com

Issue while installing rear strut tower bar - spinning bolt

I've heard of this problem happening before - the stud essentially spins freely on the mount. My only suggestion is try to find a way to hold the stud without marring the threads (rubber-covered pliers maybe) while unscrewing the nut? Dunno if WD40 would facilitate loosening the nut enough or not.

That's probably a top lock nut.. So in you shoes I might try going with a regular non-locking flange nut, or nut/washer combo. Get some blue loctite to prevent the nut from loosening up, gently thread the regular nut on, and then eventually when there is enough tension on the bolt, it should stop spinning and you should be able to fully torque it down. Or at least that idea works in my head.

Use a cutoff wheel to cut a slot in the end of the stud. Then you can hold the stud in place with a screwdriver while you remove the nut.

I like that idea.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the ideas all. I'll try em to see if that works.

Also once I get the bolt out I guess I need to press out the stud and put in a new one... how can I prevent that from spinning?

Assuming the hole that holds it is bored out

I wouldn't replace the stud... The new one will probably just spin too if you do that since it's a lock nut.. I think the only thing you could maybe do is apply some strong adhesive to the top of the stud and hope it holds... I wouldn't bother with that though, I'd go with the slot on top method or what I said..

Thanks for the ideas all. I'll try em to see if that works.

Also once I get the bolt out I guess I need to press out the stud and put in a new one... how can I prevent that from spinning?

Assuming the hole that holds it is bored out

Either the stud backed out from the top hat, or the splines stripped from the stud and/or the top hat. If the splines stripped from the top hat, you need a new top hat.

Archived