LegacyGT.com

5EAT diff skipping?

starionesir

I've noticed during the cold snap we had here in maryland (around 10 degrees at night) that in reverse when the car is cold turning almost full lock the car acted like the differential was locked. I'm familiar with that feeling from driving jeeps with the transfer case locked. The front wheels where skipping. Seems to basically go away once fully warm. All fluids are either amsoil or motul. Anybody experience anything similar in there 5EAT.

I've noticed during the cold snap we had here in maryland (around 10 degrees at night) that in reverse when the car is cold turning almost full lock the car acted like the differential was locked. I'm familiar with that feeling from driving jeeps with the transfer case locked. The front wheels where skipping. Seems to basically go away once fully warm. All fluids are either amsoil or motul. Anybody experience anything similar in there 5EAT.

How much power are you making? I see your Legacy is stage 3, so probably quite a bit. Is it making any noise, aka is there a large metallic "clunk" associated with each lockup/release? My 5EAT did that when the center diff blew, which at stage 3 power levels isn't hard to accomplish. :(

Binding like that has to be some type of mechanical issue though, just like in 4WD trucks. They bind like that because the transfer case typically has no diff like an AWD car does, just a spool. For starters, I would check all your axles, then maybe jack up the front/rear and check that the diffs are spinning freely etc(turn the front wheels lock to lock as well). Basically, make sure that there is no binding happening in the drivetrain. Mismatched tires can cause that issue as well, though I have yet to see someone do that.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

I'm running a dom 3 turbo. Car is tuned at 400 whp. Tuner didn't want to push the stock pistons any harder then that. Good thing about the dom is the lag. So its not to aggressive right out of the hole. Saves the transmission some.

No clunking that I have heard. Only seems to be a big issue when its cold. What blew on yours? The plastic carrier for the bearings in the spider go out? I've been thinking about tearing mine apart and install dave's brass bushings to eliminate that issue.

Archived