LegacyGT.com

motor swap problems

i am currently doing a motor swap on my 97 legacy gt, i have bought a parts car with a strong motor, the parts car is a 95 legacy the motor is a 2.5 block with 2.2 heads. i have got the motor out of my car and i have tried a couple of times to get the motor on the tranny, it goes until about a 1/2" and it wont go any further. at first i thought it was because we weren't using the stock torque converter. i put the stock torque converter and fly wheel on the motor and it still wont go in. my friend is starting to believe that the bell housing doesn't match up and im honestly clueless at this point, if you have any suggestions that would be great.

thanks

bell housings are all compatible even the 8 bolt ones will bolt onto a 4 bolt block and vice versa.

I did mine a couple weeks ago and the tq converter takes another bit of work to actually seat all the way. it will seem seated but still have room to go.

try rotating very slowly while pulling very slightly in and out, if you try to just spin it as it sits and push on it, it will keep dragging whatever is holding it up around and around. don't keep constant pressure on it and keep trying to slightly turn it and it will seat the rest of the way, when it is seated the tq converter bolt holes pretty much line up with the rear edge of the opening where you install the bolts.

takes a little patience but it will go

also just a tip, try stuffing a rag in the open space under and around the hole while you are installing the tq converter bolts cuz if you drop one you either have to pull the engine back off or remove the steering rack to get them back out of the bottom

the tq converter takes another bit of work to actually seat all the way.

if you do not fully seat the torque converter,

you will kill the trans when you bolt it up.

which torque converter is a non-issue, either will work.

the ''flex plate'' needs to match the torque converter.

so if you swap in the 95 TC you must also use the 95 flex plate.

it sounds like you still have a mis-match.

this may not stop you from fully seating the trans,

but you will not be able to bolt the flex plate to the TC.

another simple thing to double check , just in case,

sometimes the guide pins stay in the trans,

and some times they stay in the engine.

make sure you do not have 2 guide pins hitting each other.

lift the back of the car lower the front a little. have a friend hold your motor back or make wedge. Notice when you remove the trans the front of your engine is pretty much against your radiator fans. rock your engine, kick your trans, don't give up. a trans on your back is a pain but that's just how it is. keep turning the output shaft. It will get there.

I don't deal much with the automatics but in the 5 speed pressure plate to flywheel is 15to21 ftlbs. Its 12mm bolts right? Its probably the same. If it feels right and its tight i'm sure you be fine, just make them equalish. I've actually never torqued to book spec flex plate to torque converter in my life. And by the time you read this your probably already past this step. Good luck

it kind of is lol, i havent started it yet but just put it all back together. my buddy says i need to find a way to get the oil throught my motor because its dry and i pulled it apart. any ideas on doing that?

I like to disconnect the harness plug to the fuel pump and turn the engine a bit. Works pretty good. And as long as you didn't split the block and clean the bearings and stuff you will still have some oil in there to keep everything lubricated.

Archived