LegacyGT.com

oil starved valvetrain?

I have a ej22e, wrx oil pump, turbo supply line teed off the oil pressure sensor port, new hlas, poperly bled. at high engine rpm the rh bank hlas are losing there prime ( 5000rpm plus). I am currently running 5w30 mobil synthetic oil, 15-16 psi at idle (740rpm) and 56-59 at 5000rpm. Is the oil too thin at operating temp?, is my turbo theiving too much flow from the rh oil gallery? pressure seems just fine, could it be flow? I also run only oem subaru filters. Was thinking of crimping my steel tube turbo supply line , and maybe changing to a 10w30? or 15w40? at a loss. Problem seemed to crop up after doing the tcm mod, which brings the rpm higher before shifting.

Hello;

Thinking you are on the right track with your thinking! The turbo on my Mercedes diesel has a restrictor port on the infeed oil line. I would make a bushing to fit into the inlet line of the turbo and drill the orifice .030-.060 thousandths. Also using a heavier weight oil such as t-6 might be a good idea, Steven.

The Shell rotella T6 is great for even track day subarus and its usually 21$ or less for a gallon at wallmart. What are you using for your turbo oil feed line? I had issues with the return line leaking after installing a non oem steel braided line. I did not notice low oil pressure but my feed line comes off the back of the block. Maybe you need some restriction, you could probably use OEM turbo lines. I have a few wrx oil feed/return lines if you need.

Archived