LegacyGT.com

Grinding noise while accelerating came on suddenly.

Sorry this is a repost from the turbo section, but i'm not getting much response over there and it may not be turbo related.

The car is a 06 LGT with 56k and stock. Drove the car 120 miles 12 hours before today with no issues whatsoever.

I'm not sure what's going on but this morning I ran my 06 lgt through a car wash, and everything seemed normal so I'm not sure this is somehow related. Well as soon as I took off I herd a grinding noise coming from the floorboards, I'm thinking the passenger side. Really sounds like the turbo rubbing but I'm pretty new to turbo's. Couple things I've noticed is it only makes this noise while in gear, and seems to be only under 20% throttle or more, but if I drive around under light throttle it's quiet like normal or free revving up to 4k sounds fine. No cel's are thrown.

I drove the car home and parked it immediately so I wish I could explain it a bit better but I hope this can get me on the right track to fix it.

If this was the turbo grinding wouldn't it also make noise at idle, or under no load but reved up? It sounds like the grinding is rotating and not spinning very fast, but you can hear the grinding slow down as you let off the gas.

At this point I'm not sure I should even start the car to check it out further, or put it on ramps.

Anyone have any suggestions or anything?

• Moderators
If you want, you can build boost while stationary by revving the engine rapidly--would possibly rule out turbo if you have no noise when you do that. I don't believe that "grinding" is typically associated with a turbo going bad...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Your noise sounds more like something physically rubbing rather than the turbo. Put the front wheels up on ramps and look for anything hanging down under the front of the car. Also, look at the passenger side front mud flap and wheel liner to see if the carwash my have knocked something loose into the tire.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

If you want, you can build boost while stationary by revving the engine rapidly--would possibly rule out turbo if you have no noise when you do that. I don't believe that "grinding" is typically associated with a turbo going bad...

Ok i'll give that a shot tonight when I'm off work. The main reason I felt it was the turbo is it seems to grind just before the turbo would start to feed boost to the engine and continues until I let off the gas, then slowly scrapes down to no sound at all.

Your noise sounds more like something physically rubbing rather than the turbo. Put the front wheels up on ramps and look for anything hanging down under the front of the car. Also, look at the passenger side front mud flap and wheel liner to see if the carwash my have knocked something loose into the tire.

I will have a closer look tonight. I can only hope its something so simple.

When I bought my OBK, I would have a grinding noise once I hit about 45mph or so. Turns out the rear mud flap was loose when I bought it, and once it had enough air flow against it, it would push into my tire. I've seen the same thing happen to front fender liners when they came loose from the lower mounting points.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

When I bought my OBK, I would have a grinding noise once I hit about 45mph or so. Turns out the rear mud flap was loose when I bought it, and once it had enough air flow against it, it would push into my tire. I've seen the same thing happen to front fender liners when they came loose from the lower mounting points.

I actually had that happen to my rear mud flap, although I didn't hear anything, just noticed it worn in half from the rubbing. Although this new sound sure sounds like metal on metal scraping.

I had a similiar noise issue, check your CV boots to make sure neither is ripped or torn

I only had a few minutes after work so far to check things out, but I did look closer at the inner passenger side boot and it has developed a leak cause I can see specks of grease on the heat shield. Last time I checked was about 2k ago and they were clean so I know this is a new tear.

With your issue was it mainly on acceleration like mine? Did it come on suddenly?

I had never heard the noise and then one day it just started and never went away. It only happens in the lower gears under mild acceleration, never in idle. I started taking off heat shields, but the noise was still there. I even replaced the uppipe with a catless uppipe thinking it was parts of the cat broken up and rattling, but the noise was still there. Then I started checking everything and everywhere for anything loose and finally spotted the problem to be a torn boot on the drivers side. It had flung grease everywhere. Inside the boot is a bearing connected to the axle that I think starts to rub metal once grease is lost, thus causing the noise..

Well that makes me feel a lot more confident that it's not the turbo. I really didn't want to restart the car until I could eliminate the turbo as being the problem. I also felt it sounded like something in the up pipe hitting the turbine and grinding, then you let off gas and it falls and the noise stopped.

I haven't been feeling the best ( mono) so I haven't dug into it much but I sure hope to get this resolved soon.

I thought the same thing, I have an 06 and had the stock uppipe with cat so I thought it might have started breaking apart. Quickly switched to a Grimmspeed Catless Uppipe. However, after the stock up was off it was inspected and the cat was fine so still not the source. Good preventative maintenance though and turbo spools up just a tad quicker IMO. I'm looking to get my boot and axle replaced as soon I get a free day to work on her. I'll let you know if it resolves the sound, if you get to it before I do let me know would ya. Also, I hope you feel better, it always sucks being sick.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh so you still haven't fixed your grinding noise? Cause mines so bad and obvious I don't even drive the car because of it. I decided since I haven't had much time to look for the problem, I just made an appointment with subaru to look at it. I will let you know the outcome.

yeah I definitely have an up pipe on my to do list, that is if I decide to keep this car.

Well I took it into the dealer and I couldn't believe the problem. Here I lost a bolt in my rear diff heat shield and it was grinding once you accelerated enough to articulate the pinion enough to rub the shield on the drive shaft . So one bolt and and a little over an hour to figure it out, and it only cost me 55 bucks. I talked to the tech and he admitted his first thought was turbo as well cause as soon as it boosted it would grind, and the noise clearly came from the passenger front.

Check for a rock lodged in your caliper or backing plates.

^^This. Also look for a rock lodged somewhere that rotating mass can touch it (in/near a HBA, near rear driveshaft somewhere) or look at possibility of a heat shield that's broken that moves when you accelerate and rubs on rotating piece (axle, driveshaft).

EDIT: (blowing on knuckles rubbing on lapels) I didn't even see your post before I posted mine...LOL.

i had a gringing noise once . i pulled into a mall .. and came to a stop sign , pulled away and i hear some crazy noise . (i was getting on it a bit cause someone cut me out so i went around them) .... :) lol . i picked up a huge rock on my backing plate on the front drivers wheel. was stuck like a SOB.. had to pry it out with a long driver ... odd how somehting that big can find its way in but is a bitch to get out ... glad you found out what happen to yours though easy fix

^^This. Also look for a rock lodged somewhere that rotating mass can touch it (in/near a HBA, near rear driveshaft somewhere) or look at possibility of a heat shield that's broken that moves when you accelerate and rubs on rotating piece (axle, driveshaft).

EDIT: (blowing on knuckles rubbing on lapels) I didn't even see your post before I posted mine...LOL.

lol where were you a couple weeks ago! Although I really don't think I would have seen the part unless I had the car on a lift and could really get a good look under there. I'm just happy to have it back on the road again. :)

Archived