LegacyGT.com

ATF Fluid change 146 K miles ?

Just quick question: Just recently got a car, don't know if ATF fluid was changed, looks like crap to me, not sure if i should touch it, coz i heard it's bad idea to change ATF on high mileage cars.

Just post some ideas, and maybe some DIY on how to get it done. Thanks:rolleyes:

On the 05-09 LGTs, ATF is supposed to be drained-and-filled every 30k I believe. Lots of members here, including myself, change it earlier than that. I do it once per year. There is a total of 12qts of ATF inside the car, but only 3-4 will drain out at a time. If you get underneath the car it's the drain plug right behind the front diff labeled "TRANS". It should use a 19mm ratchet I believe.

• Mega Users
Just quick question: Just recently got a car, don't know if ATF fluid was changed, looks like crap to me, not sure if i should touch it, coz i heard it's bad idea to change ATF on high mileage cars.

Just post some ideas, and maybe some DIY on how to get it done. Thanks:rolleyes:

Good question. I've heard the same about not changing it, it just seems so counter preventative.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Ive heard this and also experienced it with an older Maxima I had.. Purchased the max with no service history and about 120k, fluid didnt look that bad so I assumed it had been done once or twice, had it flushed (I wasnt into cars then) and a week later the trans blew its lunch on my way to school. Cant prove it was b/c it was flushed but quite the coincidence.

I'm guessing you may want to walk into new fluid.

What about draining some out, say 2 or 3 qt's. add some fresh to top it off. then next week do it again, than repeat every few weeks.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
I'm guessing you may want to walk into new fluid.

What about draining some out, say 2 or 3 qt's. add some fresh to top it off. then next week do it again, than repeat every few weeks.

You'll spend more money doing it this way and the process will be less effective than paying a dealer to do a flush. The fluid gets expensive, so if you are going to do several drain/replacements it's better to just pay the man.

Or unhook a transmission line and let the car pump out all the old fluid for you--add in new fluid as you go so the transmission doesn't run itself dry.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I was assuming he didn't want to replace it all at one time, because we all know that if it's never been changed and you change it all at once, bad things can happen.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• Moderators

I just dont understand why changing all the fluid would possibly cause problems...???

I can see how a FLUSH could create issues with loosening up buildup or whatever, but just letting the fluid pump itself out while keeping the system topped off shouldn't dislodge anything that normal operation wont do anyway.

I'll admit here that I'm really just speculating--just doesn't seem to make sense that new fluid could create an issue.

I just dont understand why changing all the fluid would possibly cause problems...???

I can see how a FLUSH could create issues with loosening up buildup or whatever, but just letting the fluid pump itself out while keeping the system topped off shouldn't dislodge anything that normal operation wont do anyway.

I'll admit here that I'm really just speculating--just doesn't seem to make sense that new fluid could create an issue.

You must be young...There are lots of story's over the years, about bad results with doing a full change out at that milage.

• Moderators
You must be young...There are lots of story's over the years, about bad results with doing a full change out at that milage.

Younger than you :p

I know there are stories, for sure. Do you know anyone personally that had an issue? Serious question, BTW.

No one complaining here about their 5eat LGT so far is a good sign.

I'm also interested to hear if any other 5eat's had issues changing ATF. I used to change my spec.b tranny/diff oil every 15k. Having just purchased an 05 5eat, I was planning to swap out my ATF soon, but may reconsider if anyone's experienced issues with our cars.

:)

No.

But I'm sure if you googled it...or talk to the tech at Jiffy Lube... LOL

I had experience with it, at least I beleive flushing out my old max cause the trans to blow a week later..

My thoughts on this, there is small amount of clutch material floating around in the fluid that helps the clutches grip, you flush out this gritty fluid thats actually helping with nice new clean fluid, and you'll get slippage. Ive been around cars for awhile and just my thought.. Max your thoughts?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5eat-ask-your-questions-185412.html

May be ClimberD has some thought's on this.

06silvarubiLGT, I seem to recall that is what the old timers said.

Another thought is, if the tranny was that bad, chances are it's going the go soon anyways.

The OP may want to leave it alone and save his money just in case...when/if the tranny starts having issues.

That is why I thought, just change it a little at a time, 2 qt's this week, 2 qt's next week, and so on...

• Moderators
That is why I thought, just change it a little at a time, 2 qt's this week, 2 qt's next week, and so on...

But the result would be the same--you'd still end up with fluid that is "clean enough" to cause a problem, you'd just get there in 3 months instead of a day. That's unless the trans is continuing to where down clutch material fast enough to keep itself working, which is a problem in itself I would guess...

I think it's a crap shoot at this point.

He may find a point where after a few times the tranny begins to act different. Better or worse...who knows.

5EAT with 82k on the clock. Drain and fill every 25k. Easy with the car on ramps. 3.74 qts. About $28 each time, plus the crush washer which is not the same as the oil drain plug ('08). My fluid is always hot pink and never smells burnt. Great piece of mind.

The reason is that new or clean fluid has detergents in it that clean all the crap off the clutches in the trans,if you have a lot of miles on it, that gunk is really holding the trans together so to speak.thus cleaning all of it out will cause slipping.or worse.

5EAT with 82k on the clock. Drain and fill every 25k. Easy with the car on ramps. 3.74 qts. About $28 each time, plus the crush washer which is not the same as the oil drain plug ('08). My fluid is always hot pink and never smells burnt. Great piece of mind.

as a subaru tech. i advise this. and after the 3rd time add this ADDITIVE ROUTINE maintenance will postpone earlier failure of highly friction materials(gears) cheers. tech note

Archived