LegacyGT.com

Yokosuka and Tokyo

One of the benefits in my line of work is the travel; I'm currently parked pierside at Yokosuka Naval Base, just got back in from a little gallivant down "Blue Street" - nicknamed this because the road's got blue and white specks everywhere and all the lights and awnings are blue.

Just during my walk around base trying to find the exit (this is a rather large base, and drawn up very confusingly), I saw quite a few Subaru's, most of which were Legacies/Outbacks. The best looking ones were 3rd gens, one of them was completely riced out to the point of no return, and the 2nd's were almost entirely stock, it seemed. Saw one 1st gen that someone let go to hell, I almost felt bad for it. Then I remembered it's at least 20 years old and was surprised with it's condition. What really surprised me was how many different cars they sell over here - a lot of weird little pint-size van type things, and a few slightly different full size sedans. Also, they use a different Subaru emblem, I've noticed. Just a weird 'S' in a diamond. Didn't snap any shots as I left my cameras on the boat so I could go out and have a few drinks.

Anyway, I'm going into Tokyo in a couple days - I'll probably have a big bunch of photos to add whenever I can get my personal laptop online and upload them. Anyone ever been to Tokyo and know where I should go? Right now my only plan is to go check out a guitar store that's 5 stories high. Gonna be grand.

• 3 weeks later...
You realize the power plant and radioactive mess has been cleaned up or sealed off for about a year now, right? I was in Okinawa last year 3 days after the earthquake. Granted, the vast majority of Okinawa residents weren't directly affected by the earthquake, the radiac on on my ship did put out a few chirps. How much? We detected less than the amount of radiation that's in a freaking banana. It didn't chirp once when we were in Yokosuka.

The older watches that had the glow in the dark hands and numerals used radium and tritium to make the glow. Not large amounts but they would still set the Gieger Counter to clicking. The half life of Radium was something like a 1,000 years but the Tritium was like 10 years. I don't remember too well, there was a cute girl next to me in HS Physics class and she was well endowed.

Tom

Archived