LegacyGT.com

Clutchmasters FX300 Long Term Reviews?

Scooby2.5

Wanted to start a review thread for the CM FX300

I just recently completed an 08 STI 6 speed swap into my Outback XT with the Clutchmasters FX300.

Those of you that have this clutch how is it holding up for you?

I saw where various people bought this clutch fairly cheap as clutchmasters was trying to pull business away from other vendors and had their clutches on sale for a great price toward the end of last year.

Anyway I figured a few of you have been using this clutch for a while so wondered how it was doing

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had mine for around 4k miles on my hta+e85 setup and have no complaints. Still have people blown away with the pedal effort compared to other vendors kits.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I am running the FX300 (sti fitment). I have had it in for about 6,000 miles. It has not come close to slipping, ever. The pedal is comfortable but the clutch grabs hard. I have a faint clutch spring noise at exactly 2500 rpm, but other than that, it is very quiet. I am also using an STI factory flywheel.

Sorry to thread hijack but...are you guys running yours with the stock tranny mount? Just put in the FX300 along with a OEM SMFW, groupn tranny mount, and whiteline crossmember bushings. I was told and read it should effect NVH slightly but the noise and vibration is freaking me out. It's also chattering badly when decelerating.

Now im regreting getting it installed for cheap through a friend that works at Toyota, Hope he didn't screw anything up :mad:

Sorry to thread hijack but...are you guys running yours with the stock tranny mount? Just put in the FX300 along with a OEM SMFW, groupn tranny mount, and whiteline crossmember bushings. I was told and read it should effect NVH slightly but the noise and vibration is freaking me out. It's also chattering badly when decelerating.

Now im regreting getting it installed for cheap through a friend that works at Toyota, Hope he didn't screw anything up :mad:

I believe your hardened tranny mount and crossmember bushings may be the most significant contributor to your NVH issues. The chattering will exist regardless with this clutch, but will be amplified by your ugraded bushings and mount. I chose an STI mount for my 6 speed which is solid, but made from rubber instead of a polymer (plastic).

• 4 weeks later...

Had mine in for about 2500 miles. Man this thing in on or off. Trying to let it out slowly just results in it shuddering/chattering where it is trying to grab because it wants let out quicker. The thing is grabby to say the least.

Not real easy to drive when on a hill.

I do have a bit of deceleration noise but NOTHING like the ACT clutch in the 5 speed.

Mine is not on off. I stoplights I blip the gas a lil to 1.5k, let the clutch out slowly, and then hold it at the engagement point to have it gradually catch with minimal gas inputs. My engagement point is about an inch or less off the ground. On the steeper San Francisco hills i can slip it at around 2k rpms to get through the stop signs there. On regular hills near where I live, nothing special is needed. On flat ground I can move forward from a full stop in 2nd gear (stg. 2 6MT) if I blip it up to 2k + a lil more maintenance throttle.

• 1 month later...
Mine is not on off. I stoplights I blip the gas a lil to 1.5k, let the clutch out slowly, and then hold it at the engagement point to have it gradually catch with minimal gas inputs. My engagement point is about an inch or less off the ground. On the steeper San Francisco hills i can slip it at around 2k rpms to get through the stop signs there. On regular hills near where I live, nothing special is needed. On flat ground I can move forward from a full stop in 2nd gear (stg. 2 6MT) if I blip it up to 2k + a lil more maintenance throttle.

Mine has about 5k on it now and is doing much better. If I blip the throttle like above it works really well.

It is still chattery if I let it out to slow but most days now it takes off like normal.

This is a GRABBY clutch though. I recommend it especially if you are running a lot of WTQ.

i don't believe this clutch will slip anytime soon. :)

I'm still happy with mine and even the wife has said it has become much more friendly to drive, she hated it at first because of the on/off nature but now drives it fine. I have no doubt this clutch will hold what ever I throw at it with my current setup. Also still NO increased NVH.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

• 3 weeks later...

my experience so far has been consistent with what was already said. I'm maybe 500 miles into it and at first i was surprised at the light engagement feel but was a little annoyed at the low-rpm chatter/shudder.

i am getting used to keeping the rpms higher on the start and it seems to be getting better over time

edit: also running the STi factory fly wheel and fx300 STi fitment

Upgraded to HTA68 on E85 - clutch is still holding strong (370HWP - 400+Wtq on airboy road dyno). I occasionally get some chatter at engagement, seems to be weather related...it is not consistantly chattery at engagement. I have also started to notice very slight chatter on deceleration..it's one of those noises that you have to be listening closely for otherwise it will probably go unnoticed. The deceleration chatter is always there.

• 2 months later...
35k miles on mine and is starting to slip and I am still on the stock turbo. Not too happy but I do a lot of driving in the city with stop and go traffic. Slips mostly in 5th gear under high load.

35k miles on mine and is starting to slip and I am still on the stock turbo. Not too happy but I do a lot of driving in the city with stop and go traffic. Slips mostly in 5th gear under high load.

That's not alot of milage to have a clutch slip... I guess I'll consider it if I need one in the future!

JP

You have got to be kidding me, Your FX300 is slipping?

I would never believe this unless it was my own car. This thing is so grabby I can't imagine it ever slipping

I have about 30 miles on mine :)

Reading the stories here with some saying its awesome and smooth and others saying its noisy and chatty I wasn't sure what I was gonna get when I picked mine up from the shop yesterday.

So far its the smooth and awesome version. Even in the cold weather this morning I had no problem with it. Less chatter than my stock one would have given me actually. Starts from a stop have taken some adjustment, but ive been able to both rev and go and do a mild slip without issue.

I realize this is a long term thread but if this is the break in period, I expect my long term outlook to be good. Though I will be very unhappy if I have to replace it in 35k miles for sure!

Archived