LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Home theater question, my powered sub just blares out noise, I assume the amp is toast. Should I just buy a new sub unit, or replace the amp since the speaker is still good? My guess is a power surge killed it. It's an older KLH system the sub is a Bassbite v.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Could it just be a loose connection or something like that? I don't claim to be any sort of an electronics expert, but I do know that my sub makes noise if I touch the end of the cable when it's not plugged into the receiver. Could be a similar thing internally, too, I suppose.

If it was me, I'd take it apart and see where the smoke got out, since it's already not working. Not to say that's necessarily always the smartest choice, but that's probably what I'd do.

Could it just be a loose connection or something like that? I don't claim to be any sort of an electronics expert, but I do know that my sub makes noise if I touch the end of the cable when it's not plugged into the receiver. Could be a similar thing internally, too, I suppose.

If it was me, I'd take it apart and see where the smoke got out, since it's already not working. Not to say that's necessarily always the smartest choice, but that's probably what I'd do.

Lol, I actually did take it apart, I can't see anything wrong per se, but it looks like a capacitor may have gone out, and that small of a soldering job is way beyond my abilities. The amp powers up, but as soon as you turn the volume on it up it emits a woooooooooooo sound very deep and loud, so the speaker is definitely good, lol. I'll try another cable tomorrow to be certain.

You can see the two small orange capacitors have some corrosion. As well as the black laid down resistor in the 2nd picture. So yeah I'm not even a novice with this stuff my intuition is all I have, its beyond my experience.

9fb86cd6566fcd2cd61add8cb4105ed8.jpg284d90da7f95f388b335540ef8071ad5.jpg

Edited by FLlegacy

I don't know, for sure, if it will fit or not.....Based on this...

k1DmHUK.jpg

And the service techs response I decided to let someone else buy one and find out. My dealer will not refund on ordered parts so I figured $50 as an experiment was not a good decision.

A good number of the parts that are on my car "Won't fit your model" according to both Subaru's sites and other parts sites. Firstly because this part only came on sport models, which only started in 2013, they wouldn't check it for backwards compatibility, and the 3.6R didn't have a "sport" so it wouldn't be LISTED as compatible. All of the parts of the car that this attaches to and interacts with should be identical on every model 2010-2014 basically. I do believe there's a couple facebook members that are guinea pigging it, so I understand if you want to wait for confirmed fitment.

That power supply section definitely looks like it's been damaged. The diodes look borked.

The capacitors look like they are leaking to me. I am guessing that diode still works but was damaged by the capacitor. If you're know someone with soldering skills its probably worth replacing.

Heat Race 2 - DNF (his first ever) when he got caught out in the warm up laps by someone running him up into the wall. Broken shock, bent up front end and ended up on his side (again his first time). I'll post the video tomorrow.

e9aa7c2beb4d5d342f2dbccf603f6819.jpg

3rd Place in the Main Event!

Was running 5th and ran into some one who spun 10 laps in, bent up the front right pretty good but was able to still run. He fought back on the restart with an ill handling car and clinched 3rd.

Edited by GTEASER

3rd Place in the Main Event!

Was running 5th and ran into some one who spun 10 laps in, bent up the front right pretty good but fought back one the restart with an ill handling car and clinched 3rd.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS0kCsIBg56tEeWzj6glJ14pRG7NbC3T_Q7FKY7WiSrjDbDnBiE

Just kidding, congratulations and good job, dad!

A good number of the parts that are on my car "Won't fit your model" according to both Subaru's sites and other parts sites. Firstly because this part only came on sport models, which only started in 2013, they wouldn't check it for backwards compatibility, and the 3.6R didn't have a "sport" so it wouldn't be LISTED as compatible. All of the parts of the car that this attaches to and interacts with should be identical on every model 2010-2014 basically. I do believe there's a couple facebook members that are guinea pigging it, so I understand if you want to wait for confirmed fitment.

There is going to be a run on these braces once someone test fits it :).

I've been slowly upgrading the sound system in my car. While the factory speakers in the Harman/Kardon system aren't great, they're better than they appear. The head unit and amp are the weaker links in the chain. I upgraded just the head unit a few months back to a nice improvement in sound and call quality. Just upgraded the amplifier and even without running the rear door speakers, the sound is overall much better. Having crossover and time alignment controls for the mids and dash tweeter/cones plus extra power for all the speakers have it sounding like a new system. The door + dash speakers are next. With a new sub round out the upgrade in the near future

What HU did you go with?

Pioneer Avh-391bhs. I actually picked it up last cyber Monday didn't install it for while. It's a semi entry level double din with less integration than higher models but it gets the job done for what I need.

http://i.imgur.com/ANGglUs.jpg

Nice!

You mentioned time alignment, what are you using for that?

What amp did you use and what component set/sub do you plan to upgrade to?

The head unit handles time alignment and crossover duties for the mid, tweeter, and sub. In one of the available modes you give up front/rear/sub for high/mid/sub. The mid has an actual bandpass crossover. The crossover section has selectable crossover points and slope. Not as advance as a dedicated dsp but enough control that its actually functional

Not going component set but raw drivers active.

SB acoustics SB26STCN tweeters

Dayton Rs180 7in woofer mids

Haven't decided on a sub yet but I'm leaning towards the Dayton Ultimax 8"

Picked up a used Arc Audio 5 channel amp on eBay 80Wx4 and 240W on the sub channel rms @4ohms

Xdi 805

^Oh ok! Yeah, I had Pioneers with that, past crop of head units from them lost that feature, totally forgot about it. I thought you were running a Mosconi or Audison :)

Have not heard Daytons yet, how are they compared to, say, entry level Morels?

I'd say suspension is pretty much done and brakes are good. Breaking in the Koni's as we speak. Just time to add some power and finish up the appearance stuff. I need to upgrade the HU here next year I think. I'm looking to do some dynomat in the doors too.

Shadow, do these HU work well with the steering wheel controls? That's what I'd like to have finally with bluetooth. Been using a cheap dongle that plugs into the aux in the center console for the last 3 years. I'd also like to find a quality sub that'll fit in the rear window so I can keep my trunk space. I'm not very good when it comes to audio tech. Haven't looked much into it.

^Oh ok! Yeah, I had Pioneers with that, past crop of head units from them lost that feature, totally forgot about it. I thought you were running a Mosconi or Audison :)

Have not heard Daytons yet, how are they compared to, say, entry level Morels?

I haven't heard Morels in a very long time (00-01) so tough for me to compare. These woofers have very nice build quality and can play easily to 2khz. The tweeters are from a company that was founded by former scanspeak engineers. It can be crossed over as low as 1.8khz with a 24db slope.

Daytons like lots of speakers are made in Asia (Taiwan iirc) but the build quality is excellent and they carry a longer warranty than most.

I'd say suspension is pretty much done and brakes are good. Breaking in the Koni's as we speak. Just time to add some power and finish up the appearance stuff. I need to upgrade the HU here next year I think. I'm looking to do some dynomat in the doors too.

Shadow, do these HU work well with the steering wheel controls? That's what I'd like to have finally with bluetooth. Been using a cheap dongle that plugs into the aux in the center console for the last 3 years. I'd also like to find a quality sub that'll fit in the rear window so I can keep my trunk space. I'm not very good when it comes to audio tech. Haven't looked much into it.

I haven't added a steering wheel control adapter yet, but from what I've read the metra axcess controller works well to retain the steering wheel controls.

I'm also looking to avoid using any type of subwoofer box if I can get away with it. I don't need to shake the car apart, just enough to fill in the low end correctly with decent output.

Konis are the next mechanical upgrade. My stock struts are finally ready to retire lol

Here is the boy's Heat Race #1 win! Well deserved because he fought hard and snatched the opportunities. I'm always amazed how at ease and relaxed he looks in the car and the finesse that he uses on the steering wheel.

And.....this was his mistake in the warm-up for Heat Race #2. Got a little over-zealous and did his best to avoid the situation once he identified the problem. I don't think he actually hit the other car but I can't tell for sure. Hahaha!