LegacyGT.com

What did you buy for your 5th gen today? - V3

Time for some Pre-Winter maintenance. Hoping the Osrams are as good at the Rally ones I had. The three fingered oil wrench works very well.
Have you been running the CVTF in your 2018 OB 3.6R already or planning to drain-n-fill the first time? Edited by Perscitus

Have you been running the CVTF in your 2018 OB 3.6R already or planning to drain-n-fill the first time?

This will be the first CVT fluid change for the OB but she's not due yet just using my 25% discount.

The OB is a 5th Gen. just from a more refined mother.

Picked up some break in oil too for my son's soon to be built IAG bullet that might be scary even for the ole man.

Edited by DugsSin

Nice Jorge! Same thermostat I've been running for 4 years.

Bernie mis-quoted the part numbers through:

He lists:

21210AA030 Thermostat (1) + 21236AA010 Gasket (1)

Should be:

21200AA072 Thermostat (1) + 21236AA010 Gasket (1) = 21210AA030 Kit

(the kit part number for both this specific thermostat and gasket paired with at least 5 others).

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/did-you-do-your-5th-gen-todayii-vol-2-closed-200439.html?p=4989095&highlight=thermostat#post4989095

Nice Jorge! Same thermostat I've been running for 4 years.

Bernie mis-quoted the part numbers through:

He lists:

21210AA030 Thermostat (1) + 21236AA010 Gasket (1)

Should be:

21200AA072 Thermostat (1) + 21236AA010 Gasket (1) = 21210AA030 Kit

(the kit part number for both this specific thermostat and gasket paired with at least 5 others).

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/did-you-do-your-5th-gen-todayii-vol-2-closed-200439.html?p=4989095&highlight=thermostat#post4989095

Yeah, i noticed that when i was double checking. After cross referencing his numbers, your post and subie site I figured it out lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay .... Where does CVT fluid go in a 5th Gen ??? In the 5EAT?

Oh yeah...In his OB I guess ;)

There is a fill and check plug on the transmission on the passenger side above the axle. I took a picture of it while back but if needed I can find it and post it.

Yup, recently did a full drain and fill on my brother's 2015+ WRX HT-CVT.

We used the drain plug, fill level-check plug and then the plugs ont he passenger side of the axle to top her off while up to temp (~140F CVTF temp in the valve body).

She took about 6 quarts of Amsoil CVTF and runs great.

Another drain and fill in the Spring (to get the fresh fluid ratio up) and then again next Summer/Fall (bringing her up to almost all Amsoil and no Subaru fluid)

Mind you the car is also fitted with the Setrab oil cooler (which takes almost an extra 0.5/0.75 qt of fluid) and the lines needed to route it to and from the area behind the front grill.

New tires all around. Went with the Pirelli P Zero all season plus again - the revised compound is supposed to have improved them further. Drove 500 miles on them this weekend - definitely quieter than the old ones, and they have a different speed rating (Y for the new vs. W for the old ones)

New tires all around. Went with the Pirelli P Zero all season plus again - the revised compound is supposed to have improved them further. Drove 500 miles on them this weekend - definitely quieter than the old ones, and they have a different speed rating (Y for the new vs. W for the old ones)
Do you like them? I usually am a strong pirelli fan but I was leaning toward the Yokohama avid ascend gt this next time. I drive 80% highway miles on flat road. I was looking for something with a smooth quiet ride to it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've got a set of those on my Baja that were on there when I bought it. They're not particularly loud (far as I've noticed), although I always have the radio on, so my perception may be skewed. Could be the lack of weight over the back axle, or skewed perception again due to having snow tires on the Legacy, but they're pretty bad in the snow in my experience. Shouldn't be a problem if you have a dedicated winter set.

They do seem to wear pretty well, though- I don't remember what the DOT date code is, but I've put on about 16k miles (probably 3/4 highway) in the year and a half or so I've owned it, and I can't really see a huge difference in tread depth. I haven't done any rotations, and the back left likes to leak down to about 20 psi over a couple weeks' time, so it's not like I've been particularly kind to them.

Do you like them? I usually am a strong pirelli fan but I was leaning toward the Yokohama avid ascend gt this next time. I drive 80% highway miles on flat road. I was looking for something with a smooth quiet ride to it.
I do like them - I don't have a whole lot of experience with them in snow (we really don't get much), but for the snow covered road conditions we have gotten, they have been fine. wet and dry traction is really good. The recent tire rack review was very favorable, as well as the consumer reports review. Looking at the reviews on tire rack, a number of folks had the same 25k life as me - hopefully the new compound improves that. (25k miles and almost at the wear bars compared to the OEM summer tires which after 20k miles still had 7/32 left)

I have ran the Yokohama Avid Ascend tires for about 6K and they ride very nice. I just did my first rotation and rebalance at Discount Tire and very little wear. They look like new still. I also run them on my Toyota Avalon. I am very happy with them Edited by swells
Spelling

The airbox milk jug / intake resonance chamber is different between the 5th gens and current WRX/Levorg... so if this thing is designed for those, it will not mate cleanly.

Look for the no longer made HKS funnel. That is PnP but a. hard to find now b. fairly pointless just like this thing.

The intake resonance chamber is on there for a reason, leave it on. Just as you should leave the stock intake on, stock paper filter (or worse case Cosworth or AEM dryflow or Amsoil nanfiber dropins).

If you remove the resonator, expect MAF transfer function instability, MAF spikes, calced Load errors, idle issues, idle fuel trim issues, tip-in/out issues, but hey if the extra noise is worth it - go for it!

You'll kick yourself for waiting this long, so don't let it sit in your shelf any longer than you have to.

Same here. Mine is sitting waiting to be installed. It will be a few weeks since we are leaving on vacation tomorrow.