LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

And to spice things up a little - Fred - if you shave off 1.2 sec and add 10mph to that already mighty impressive 1/4 mile result

- you can keep up with my new toy.

I'm not saying anything more than that for now... gTEASER style.

I may be able to get it down to 11.8@119....

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

And to spice things up a little - Fred - if you shave off 1.2 sec and add 10mph to that already mighty impressive 1/4 mile result

- you can keep up with my new toy.

I'm not saying anything more than that for now... gTEASER style.

The rise of...pTEASER! :D

This weekend, I unsubscribed from the Legacy Facebook group (and most of the other groups I was subscribed to). I am more interested in engine tech and the group is more appearance orientated. Nothing against the group, it is just not my interests. I felt like I was wasting time on facebook and not really getting anything from any of the groups I unsubscribed from.

Soon I need to start prepping the Legacy for the winter month. (detail exterior/interior; oil change, airbag recall (already scheduled), Check and or change out the CVT oil, and wiper blades).

MB is almost ready to be stored for the winter still need to do trans fluid and detail the car and pull the car cover out from storage and have it on stand by in the trunk once I see any sign of snow in the forecast. The car cover goes on.

Edited by amusa

Not sure how many people here were aware of this, but the 2013/2014 Sport trims came with a unique rear subframe brace that the other models didn't get. I've tried looking up this part number before but to no avail, but randomly today I stumbled across it on Minkara, and the part # is the same for the US. I see no reason why this shouldn't also fit every other 5th gen model. $43 to buy from a dealer, could be a nice little addition to rear end stiffness besides a rear sway bar. I would guinea-pig this myself, but I've already got the Cusco bar for that same spot. Figured others could benefit from the info.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/SUPPORT-SUB-FRAME/49228922/20157AJ040.html

5LkWzP0.png

6QJ8Luz.png

3ZTUPmt.png

Edited by Humble Rumble

I'm going to check with my dealer and see if they have or can get this part.;)

Nice surprise....at $43 USD I expected it to be about $58 Cdn plus shipping to Vancouver.....probably in the range of $80 to get one to my door. I called the dealer who can get one for me by mid next week.... All in $47 Cdn.

Thanks for the heads up Humble :)

Edited by Scooby Fan

Not sure how many people here were aware of this, but the 2013/2014 Sport trims came with a unique rear subframe brace that the other models didn't get. I've tried looking up this part number before but to no avail, but randomly today I stumbled across it on Minkara, and the part # is the same for the US. I see no reason why this shouldn't also fit every other 5th gen model. $43 to buy from a dealer, could be a nice little addition to rear end stiffness besides a rear sway bar. I would guinea-pig this myself, but I've already got the Cusco bar for that same spot. Figured others could benefit from the info.

5LkWzP0.png

6QJ8Luz.png

3ZTUPmt.png

Little heads up on these Sub Frame Braces.... I checked compatibility on the Subaru parts website....they say this part is NOT compatible with the 3.6R Legacys .....so I called my dealer where I ordered the part and talked to a service tech.... He also says that part is for 2.5i CVT models only :mad:

I cancelled my order....Buyer Beware !!

I value that input, but I'm not sure I would trust a dealer on this one. When I purchased my 2013 3.6R springs for my '10 LGT, the dealer flatly told me that they absolutely would not work because the suspension was different. When I asked about a rear sway bar from a WRX (as a bit of a test since it is well established that those work), they said it wouldn't fit at all. That it would not be long enough since the WRX is not as wide.

It doesn't seem like the rear sub frame, rear diff and carrier, and spare tire well would be significantly different. If only for value engineering, Subaru should have kept as much of that as possible the same for the different trims and drive train options.

Humble's pictures lead me to believe that it will work for our cars. It seems likely that it will even work for 2008-2014 WRXs.

Edited by Sarang

Pretty sure the only thing back there that'd be different enough to cause issues would be the rear diff, and that's on the other side of the subframe member. According to parts.subaru.com, the rear subframe is the same for all engines and trim levels of Legacy and Outback '10-'12, and there's a new part number (which is likely very nearly identical, just looks to be a revision) that's used on all Legacies and Outbacks '13-'19 (not a typo). I wouldn't have any concern over it not fitting, honestly.

I don't know, for sure, if it will fit or not.....Based on this...

k1DmHUK.jpg

And the service techs response I decided to let someone else buy one and find out. My dealer will not refund on ordered parts so I figured $50 as an experiment was not a good decision.

My dealer will not refund on ordered parts so I figured $50 as an experiment was not a good decision.

How do you think we have figured out that so many parts "not" for our cars totally fit our cars.....gambling! Educated gambling! And $50 is nothing.

Home theater question, my powered sub just blares out noise, I assume the amp is toast. Should I just buy a new sub unit, or replace the amp since the speaker is still good? My guess is a power surge killed it. It's an older KLH system the sub is a Bassbite v.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk