LegacyGT.com

How much have you been able to carry while lowered?

sulk

So I'm looking to lower my wagon, but I bought my wagon to carry a lot of stuff, pretty often. So even though I want better springs, I'd still like to be able to carry a decent weight, without bottoming out.

So h-techs/sti pinks/rallitek offer a slight drop, so I'd assume i'd still be able to carry a decent amount.

Swifts/ions(i think ions are similar to swifts in drop?) would be my ideal ride height, but I have no idea how much weight I could carry on them. I've been told that swifts on non stock struts, ride a bit higher, then the stock struts

So if anyone can help out, and let me know roughly how much weight they've carried on either stock struts, or others. (I'd be putting them on my stock struts for the time being, but later I'd probably get konis or blistein.) I'd really be grateful. Thanks!

I've been told that swifts on non stock struts, ride a bit higher, then the stock struts.

That's true of any front spring if you are switching to Bilsteins. Any front spring using the Bilstein style top hat will ride approximately 5/8" higher than they will on the stock KYB style top hats used on USDM Legacies except for the Spec B and some of the 3.0R models that used Bilsteins. Some springs (Pinks, Swifts, Ions, etc.) are designed for the Bilstein front top hats and their advertised drop in front is based on the use of those top hats. Thus, the use of Bilstein style front springs on stock KYB struts with KYB style top hats will result in more drop than advertised. Other springs (Cobb, Rallitek, Eibach) are designed for the stock KYB front top hats and their advertised drop in front will be based on the use of those top hats. The use of Bilsteins versus Konis or KYBs won't change the rear ride height relative to the spring choice.

So I'm looking to lower my wagon, but I bought my wagon to carry a lot of stuff, pretty often. So even though I want better springs, I'd still like to be able to carry a decent weight, without bottoming out.

So h-techs/sti pinks/rallitek offer a slight drop, so I'd assume i'd still be able to carry a decent amount.

Swifts/ions(i think ions are similar to swifts in drop?) would be my ideal ride height, but I have no idea how much weight I could carry on them. I've been told that swifts on non stock struts, ride a bit higher, then the stock struts

So if anyone can help out, and let me know roughly how much weight they've carried on either stock struts, or others. (I'd be putting them on my stock struts for the time being, but later I'd probably get konis or blistein.) I'd really be grateful. Thanks!

I put a full STi motor in my wagon on the iONs and Koni's, along with the dash bar, interior pieces, and a bunch of extras- it was low, but not bottoming/on bumpstops. I was glad I was running the high offset stock winter wheels, otherwise it would have been close to rubbing the rubber fender liner in the rear with the low ride height, going over bumps. I drove 200 miles with it in the back at 70mph over all kinds of surfaces- it was great. Koni's were set ot 1.25 turns from full soft in the rear, for your reference.

(Did I mention that I love the wagon? :wub:)

The motor wasn't all that heavy, not like hauling a load of cement bags or bricks, but it was a good several hundred pounds.

Thanks mauijim, thats load amount seems to be about the same amount I'd be carrying.

Just as a side, what size wheels and tires were you running?

And yea, I really do love my wagon too! Its nice to have so much trunk space just to put stuff, even when just out or getting ready to play sports, its a good place to just throw everything in and not worry about it.

s-techs/stock struts...my car has over 60 sq ft of dynamat, mainly concentrated in the trunk...two 10" subs in custom fiberglass boxes right by the tail lights, both sub/box are pretty heavy...two heavy amps 1000w mono, 600w 4channel, right above spare...custom wood/mdf/fiberglass floor/trunk walls...plus two suitcases at over 100 pounds total, plus a baby seat, a 40 pound child, a 110+ pound sister, some carry on luggage...it was lowwwwww...drove over 300km and didnt have a single issue...

• 9 months later...

Just figured I'd throw in an update, since I just came across this thread again.

I've been running stock struts and MSI Eibach springs, and I've been able to carry really heavy loads without issue. (600lbs~) speed bumps are fine, as long as you go slowly.

Archived