LegacyGT.com

PNW Post Whoring Thread - Vol. 2

boxkita

ALSO, what do you guys think of making a .5/.75/1 inch Exhaust manifold flange and uppipe/turbo flange? it'd drop the manifolds by the same distance (closer to the ground), but i'm looking for a way to put in 4 EGT sensors to get per-cylinder tuning done, but without all the work and mess of putting bungs all over my pretty "new" manifolds. would also let me test stock USDM manifolds to stock JDM EL manifolds.

and i've got 8+ inches of clearance, so not at all worried about the drop, although it would change ever so slightly the way the exhaust pulsed. too bad my OEM usdm manifolds are modified (coated/wrapped/OEM heatshielded).

genius idea, right? ;)

came up with it just yesterday.

EDIT: $300 for a lab-grade 4 channel k-type thermalcouple reader with rs232 output (so i can use an FTDI chip to convert to USB for logging), $50 for each inconel k-type thermalcouple with 1/8th inch NPT compression fitting.

free manifold extensions. should i have them made from .5" billet 304 SS?

pretty sure i'm doing this.

EDIT 2: will need some more gaskets too, and will need to think about the spacing i have for the uppipe to crossmember...

EDIT 3: yowsa, the lab grade (reports within 1% of the actual temp) amp outputs a set of data (all 4 channels) twice a millisecond... (if i understand it all correctly)

Bumping an old post...

Did you ever go forward with the manifold mods? Or the bottom plate?

Racewagon is up on jackstands and needs some cleanup on the underside.

Bumping an old post...

Did you ever go forward with the manifold mods? Or the bottom plate?

Racewagon is up on jackstands and needs some cleanup on the underside.

I've got some custom type K thermocouples made (like $35 each, 1/16th inch diameter probe, high temp), have the swagelock parts to attach them to the manifold with an NPT threaded hole, and even have thermocouple converter chips from Mouser to make some electronics to read them.

but alas, i'm no EE and can't get any coworkers to make me a board. Just this week i did find a place (PlayingWithFusion.com) that makes them for $45 or $90 and can read to 1000C (which should be plenty, but type K thermocouples do go to 1350C max) and output it 0-5V (can use a TGV input to datalog one or two cylinders, or just seperately datalog it and try to mate the data together in Excel).

Could also convert the data with an arduino and add it back into romraider as an external sensor, but add all 4 temps, but just 4x more time between datapoints.

but alas, haven't physically done anything to get it working. i do have tons of arduino's and have written lots of code to do displays and sensors. :lol:

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

• 1 year later...