LegacyGT.com

mild dual port head polish-mild torque cam grind

Ok...working with a 95 22e that I pulled out last winter and swapped for compression issues in cylinder #2. The swapped motor is from a 98 impreza obs (single exhaust port)I have taken the motor out and popped the heads off to begin disassembly and a couple new exhaust valves for that cylinder. Got it all cleaned up and ready to pull the valves for this part of the repair and I'm thinking I want to do a mild polish on the intake side to get some better flow..I don't want to take out a bunch of material, just some of the rough cast and flashing on the inside. I have never done this before but I am familiar with the type of work as a machinist and fabricator.

I have sent an inquiry to delta cams for a torque grind, what I'm hoping to hear is that a torque grind will compliment a slight polish to the intake keeping a longer power band and better throttle response with added pep to the mid and upper range. But like I said I have no experience with these types of motors or mods too them.

The modifications I currently have are rather small, williaty style hybrid intake, msd coil pack 0 resistance ngk plugs and low resistance 7.5 mm plug wires..the car is currently getting great gas mileage at 26 mpgs consistently. Breathes ok, i have no exhaust mods yet but working on it...imo the car moves through 1st and 2nd with some gusto but then the power drops off (but that is all ej22's from what I hear and have experienced).

I would like to hear any experiences others have had with this type of work IF any..quite sure I won't be the first to do it with this motor..

Feel free to move this thread, seems I didn't read that it was for 2.5's and newer motors...sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

You are fighting a losing battle, I'm afraid to say. The ROI on those mods is going to be miniscule, if even noticeable. The added power/efficiency will not even remotely justify the cost.

Your best bet is to save the money, and do things that will actually return noticeable improvements in performance and/or reliability. Lightweight wheels, lightweight flywheel, high quality synthetic drivetrain and engine fluids, new wheel bearings, etc.

If you are serious, and don't care much about comfort, you can gut the interior sound deadening (even if you leave the carpet), and chisel ~100lbs out of the car if you try.

You can look into aluminum suspension components (OBX lateral and trailing links, aluminum front control arms, etc).

You could even convert the car into GD Impreza sedan track by getting a GD front engine crossmember (which you will need anyway for your eventual swap... which is the only way you'll get power that will justify the investment). Then get GD front control arms, steering rack and tie-rods, front and rear axles, and GD Impreza rear lateral links and trailing arms (aluminum variants would be lighter). You can probably find most of that stuff for free on NASIOC, or for very little money.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

do you really think a cam and P&P isnt going to show any noticeable improvement?

Certainly not enough of one to justify the cost.

I'll put it this way. Show me one N/A EJ22 or 25 that makes 260whp. You probably can't, and there are people who have spent THOUSANDS to try. Meanwhile in a GT, you can hit those numbers for $500, with no real risk to reliability.

Save your pennies and plan a swap and invest in mods that have a high gain:dollar ratio.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Well the cam grinds will be 94 per cam from what delta told me, I already have the parts fore the heads which are oem cryotreated springs and retainers (not that I need them for the hopeful 150 hp's ) but with 296k on one set of heads and 232k on the others I thought screw it replace them and I manufacture machinery that treats these parts.

I'm not going to be unrealistic but if I can get 15 hp and the car breathes better by just those mods, I can go with it..the suspension mods are automatic, they get stock power to the floor for the better. It will just make it that much more fun. I truly would love to find a 22 t or a busted down ss but that's far harder for me to get my hands on.

Archived