LegacyGT.com

Starter noise - clean and grease ?

Has anyone had any luck pulling the starter, taking it apart, cleaning the gunk, re-greasing the moving parts to stop the noise of the Bendix gear not retracting after start. Wow that was a long sentence.

09 Legacy 2.5i, non turbo. starter always works and randomly gets noisy on cold mornings. Starting to happen more often. Any advice on what type of grease to use once cleaned and disassembled or other tips. Thanks in advance.

Read the stickys up top on the forums, there's one just for that.

Could be in the DIY Forums.

here,

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-starter-repair-remove-disassemble-grease-reinstall-w-pics-218329.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Starter on mine makes a nasty noise on a really cold start. Wondering if cleaning would remedy it. What kind of noise does yours make? Mine is a bit of a brief grinding... But it's been doing that for nearly 5 years now lol

This forum is awesome

My sound is a quick grinding noise. It's the starter (Bendix) gear not retracting quick enough after the engine starts, the grinding is the starter gear on the flywheel. Normally once the engine starts the starter gear retracts off the flywheel very quickly, but the lack of lubricant or gunk on the Bendix causes the started gear to retract much slower.

I'm going to read the sticky and see whats up...

My sound is a quick grinding noise. It's the starter (Bendix) gear not retracting quick enough after the engine starts, the grinding is the starter gear on the flywheel. Normally once the engine starts the starter gear retracts off the flywheel very quickly, but the lack of lubricant or gunk on the Bendix causes the started gear to retract much slower.

I'm going to read the sticky and see whats up...

That was exactly what my issue was.

I wonder if "Anti seize" would be a good lubricant for the starter?

As Max said, only on bolt threads. For other surfaces, use some synthetic grease *after* old dried up grease is cleaned out. Don't go crazy with amount of new grease, really just need to be proper amount. For 3 gears, unless you have special starter grease, one can use CV axle or graphite grease.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K