LegacyGT.com

2005 Limited 4EAT trans clunk when cold

Hello, I am new to the forum and just got a 2005 Limited Wagon about a month ago so a lot of the terms are new to me so I am guessing that it is the 4EAT; it is the Auto with sport shift mode and goes up to 4th gear. Anyway, I have noticed it shifts hard into 4th when it is cold with a 'clunk' and 'thud'. It doesn't do it after about 3 or 4 minutes driving, but when it is cold it feels and sounds terrible. Any help? Sorry if this is an old topic; I did a quick search and didn't see anything.

Thanks!

This is pretty much normal for the 4EAT with cold fluid. Has the transmission fluid ever been changed? If not, have the fluid flushed and replaced with a full synthetic like the Subaru HPF or BG Synthetic Universal ATF. I had my fluid replaced with the BG in my 4EAT and the shifting is smoother but still a little rough when cold.

Do youreally need to go synthetic on the 4EAT? Is it overkill? I know the 5EAT requires synthetic. I changed it with Subaru's AT oil and it has been working well. Then again where I am there aer no sub-freezing temps.

I am actually due to change it again soon.

X

---

Do youreally need to go synthetic on the 4EAT? Is it overkill? I know the 5EAT requires synthetic. I changed it with Subaru's AT oil and it has been working well. Then again where I am there aer no sub-freezing temps.

I am actually due to change it again soon.

X

The reason to go full syth is for better flow in cold temps.

Yes, the trans oil was changed at the dealership recently; about a month before I bought it so about 2 months ago and I checked the level and it was fine. The lady that I got it from was a little bit older (mid 50') so I assume she just stuck it in drive and went. I have been using the sport shift option and shifting manually and wonder if this is messing with the cars computer or something. I have this week been driving in drive and not shifting manually and let the car warm up for a minute or so before driving and in the last couple days, the issue has not occured. I will try not warming it up first after work today and see if it does it again.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived