LegacyGT.com

my 1998 Outback JDM STI motor swap build

I went to get an alignment and they told me i needed some new inner tie rods...so i ordered moog inners and boots and the Whiteline outers and front swaybar...Now I'm looking into an 04 sti rack.

I went to a local subaru dealership to get my driver seatbelt warrantied and found a fellow 2nd gen enthusiast who is a mechanic there. I will be bringing the car to him so that we can install the timing belt kit, flush the diffs and install the EUDM auto shifter I have at the beginning of June. This is the only way to have the shifter surround with pop up pocket and card holder as the shifter is offset vs the usdm one that is in the middle. Also this shifter has the power mode button and will get wired up.

Also, I've finally started driving the car and I love it. I can't wait to get the new tierods on and get an alignment.

D6EEC9E3-5000-475F-AEED-5604C2BF99C3_1_201_a.jpeg

TakA962YRI2D16kDbtJyqg.jpg

LwxL0IwQNhDFg8DxNpg.jpg

FfUPc410RP6ZFUV0qJpruA.jpg

qfZCs0QEeRlPcRFcROQ.jpg

And the EUDM shifter and surround

RS6wc4CnT82vqA5FeeTrDA.jpg

Getting the car back together is slow going. I got a new reverse camera license plate frame. The wire that i tapped into on the passenger kick panel for reverse trigger works but it triggers the camera mode on the radio whenever i hit the brakes as well. I decided to just run a wire directly from the lead coming off the reverse bulb in the hatch all the way to the radio to be sure it works correctly.

I just want to add that I figured out the problem here. I found some stripped wires where the hatch harness goes through the boot into the hatch and it turns out the brake lights and reverse light wires were in contact with each other. I taped them up and now the back up camera functions properly.

Edited by SLW-SVT

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New inner and outer tie rods, front sway bar and ball joints are on. Definitely my least favorite project so far. The bushings that came with the swaybar do not fit properly so i need to figure out what to do. I lowered the front another 1/2" and got an alignment.

3I9jm5cvQ3mzXHNsuyNtog.jpg

5a0B1nJQ4i4OIEhiDODMA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_30c0.jpeg

I got a replacement remote and programmed it with no issues.

4s1sRUB7Rvmm5Jr3CW907Q.jpg

here's how she sits now. I'm going to order some 10-15mm spacers and extended lugs for the rear next. I have a slight metal to metal sound coming from the front driver brake. I think (hope) it might be dust shield.

ZwDmu7A9QrKM6JOODROHKw.jpg

UZiluxgGRumHyZ7VBZinmQ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got a lot of work done on the car this weekend and i got to do it with a subaru mechanic at a subaru dealership!

Gates timing belt kit TCKWP277AN

Perrin lightweight crank pulley

New front driver axle

EDM auto shifter with power mode button. Still need to wire it up

Front and rear diff flush

Freon charged

NGK spark plugs and new wires

I discovered that my alternator has a bad bearing so I ordered a 130amp Tribeca alt to go on. The stock fusible link is only good for 85 amps still so i will run a parallel 4ga wire directly from the battery to the alt.

YPFfFbZdQOHGmMzYVKQ6Q.jpg

mAxbtp5NQ9aHK66BQl5Gg.jpg

OH2HKGQGQXaYMwQPaGAHEg.jpg

99DUdJpjS524KdOOP5HKcw.jpg

90eXuKFLTEqaoNtHGiax2A.jpg

CTfAsaV9TY25j2RMeXJaA.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Killer build dude! Lookin hella sweet. Super Sleek!!! them eyebrows on fleek!!!

Ha thanks!

So I've been working on my sound system recently. I decided to go with Skar audio despite all the bad reviews about the owner etc. What it comes down to is that I'm very happy with the quality and sound from everything I've purchased from them and the price is very cheap.

The first issue i ran into was that the 6.5s components that i ordered do not fit in the stock hole and will not work with the stock bracket. I found iatuning has adapters for our cars that work perfectly in the front doors. The rears fit but i needed to drill some extra holes in the door panel. I was able to mount the crossover where the arm rest is no problem. I modified the stock tweeter housing to work with the 1" tweeter and everything goes back together fine there.

TX65C Components

I went with non components for the rear doors but accidently punched a hole in one of them with my drill:( i went to order another set and they were sold out so I got another set of components. I will be running the crossover inside the car since i cant really find anywhere to mount them and using the oem wire going into the door for mid base only. I will be mounting the tweeters on the rear pillar where the outback limited's tweeters are.

I went with their single 10" loaded base enclosure which comes in a box designed for that sub and a 750w amp because it fit under my strut bar in the rear. It sounds great and I'm already thinking about buying another one or getting their dual 10" box since it will fit between the strut towers. The sub sound way better than the the underseat solution that I had. I used Noico sound deadening in the trunk area but didn't have the energy to disassemble the sides of the trunk to do the strut towers. i will come back to that later and do the roof when i run the wires for the rear tweeters.

Loaded 10" enlcosure

After doing the timing belt, I found that my alternator bearing was making a noise so why not upgrade. I went with a Tribeca 3.6 130amp alternator so i had to convert from 2 pin to 3 pin to make it work. I ran a parallel 4ga to the positive battery post since the fusible link is only rated for 85 amps and will blow if I draw more than that. Unfortunately the alternator did not work and i had to get a ride home from work as my car was completely dead. My friend had an extra 110amp H6 outback alternator and that has worked so far.

My current issue is that something is draining my battery when the car is off and its only started since the new amp and alternator were installed. Tonight i will be doing a some draw tests to help pinpoint where my issue is coming from.

In other news, i was able to find somewhen parting out and outback limited that had excellent condition front seats. My driver seat has had a small hole in it and its really bothered me. I get the new foam and leather in and everything is great now.

1fMbotDxSEuenweOtXS7mw.jpg

dUsNPgzPQuH8ui4qhCCng.jpg

M17hBlL9RZyqJl8iAyv7qA.jpg

My door handles now match the doors. You can see the difference in color on the screw cover. This difference is pre facelift gray versus facelift gray.

RmWUN88yRJCPYr8PXdF0Wg.jpg

Old seat

oIIPZdqjQtO6dJi745Omw.jpg

New seat. It matches just fine, the lighting in my garage makes it look brighter.

LBLhrrGMRViBQfniZdnVQ.jpg

mBhsci1qT0ueUdGfPxwPzw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_3119.jpeg

PkHersHkRf2mBEEteOxWsw.jpg

69WMGUYwQRSU7pI23lJSw.jpg

I may have gone overboard on the welding wire

mz6ds6RLRcKmEOfJaoRViQ.jpg

I painted the alternator cover and cleaned and shined up the intake system.

itdVaAASBCnl2oaQyYT3w.jpg

mjudZNvmTt2gz3tXI1dFDw.jpg

Here's my console with the European shifter assembly and pop up card holder and front pocket. Still need to wire in the power mod button. This shift surround will not work with the USDM shifter fwiw!

k9V6ZJruTuiHK8fxpRPHjg.jpg

Edited by SLW-SVT

• 1 month later...

I liked the single 10" so much that i decided to send it back and get the dual 10" with 1500watt amp. Its even better of course and I'm really blown away by how good it sounds.

qkY418ylRQSsAOPwOXnjvA.jpg

riX9pjYYSwqfdlYJfgmVw.jpg

New battery terminals

kL9A48Qf6Fax2xu99gpw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_3154.jpeg

And this rare oem option console extension. This was the 3rd one that i've bid on and finally won!

tebS8zJOTTqeFJ8o68QSUA.jpg

j8jqPe8GQCORIjuBrPFcSQ.jpg

72aZVg3iQF6NE5qy3WOisA.jpg

CzCwnt5ZSoKUrJmOokvzg.jpg

QUOTE=derp;5913918]Really like what you've done.

Thanks, big interior change coming soon!

will you install my intake eblow already. that torque box is so ugly lol

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I just bought some new hoses today to get it in right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

2.2 intake pipe is installed!

427B90F8-C7B6-4777-B353-F8EAD4A582A1.jpg

Driver side front has new glass and inner/outer guides. Still need to do the passenger side and get tinted.

013B2EF8-DC4D-4B45-A4A1-ECCDCEC22FDA.jpg

I took some base model tweeterless trim pieces and mounted tweeter pods to them. Kind of iffy on the looks but I'm going with it

909429C6-CCF8-41DD-B071-B92DE1928C78.jpg

2EDD39E5-696B-42F6-9741-3AF4678CD842.jpg

And I received JDM TS type R seats and door panels! They look similar to the GTB seats but they are very different in the design. I bought a hot water extracting carpet cleaner and glad i did, these seats had a lot of nastiness engrained in them.

82829B75-BC97-4014-9695-730A6ABAEC56.jpg

F312E3B1-1EBF-4265-8A47-542E37D008AA.jpg

23E06487-DAA7-48AB-8C0A-3312B39F9DD0.jpg

I ordered this badge since the car fully rates it now but not sure if I'm going to run it.

D047EFEF-A23F-4314-BCB4-B88617686F94.jpg

Nice!

Thanks! I sent you a pm

I got the new TSR rear seats in along with the new passenger side front window. Need some window tint now. I thought i would be able to use the USDM front seat sliders to cut down on shipping but they will not work. Now I'm waiting on the sliders to come from Russia.

I had to cut a slot in the JDM panels to fit the door unlock switch and it came out just fine. Made me a little nervous for sure.

500672E2-5093-497D-9CDC-31AA245F2EC9.jpeg

C1B4B288-9B43-46CF-B88D-8DE2FEC1882F.jpeg

45740044-F8AE-4AAD-9E74-F0D9AE8EB10A.jpeg

FEF6B684-8528-476C-AB04-D73988509EE9_1_201_a.jpeg

086822A6-A962-4C80-B505-87907A9EC717.jpeg

08388F35-C7A9-4836-A2A4-54FC1BC4EDBF.jpeg

2DF5AFBE-7568-4E34-AEA0-01AC9E6EF54D.jpeg

D207AED0-C730-40A6-8B59-CC443068086E.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Looks great! Hate to have to ask but with the Tein coilovers did you have to use the OEM top hats in the rear?

I understand the OB top hats are different from the regular wagons. Also curious what the max height on those coilovers are. Think you could get back up near the stock ride height with them?

Edited by HiiiFiii

• 2 weeks later...
Looks great! Hate to have to ask but with the Tein coilovers did you have to use the OEM top hats in the rear?

I understand the OB top hats are different from the regular wagons. Also curious what the max height on those coilovers are. Think you could get back up near the stock ride height with them?

The outback and regular Legacy share the same top hat and i did not need to change them. I dont think you would be able to reach the stock Outback ride height with these coilovers.

• 1 month later...

I got some carbon fiber mirror caps. Turns out GC8 mirrors are the same as jdm and 95 manual folding usdm. the base is different but the mirror housing itself is the same. The blend in nicely with my paint.

Ry3WUAH8RcuwQpSn5EM7sA.jpg

QjzA3HcTStuZgy5AWxgblA.jpg

WWYu3akTd2eUN3hV9GTVw.jpg

g10uKwh5R6qq26l2H4c1A.jpg

Also got some new Federal Evoluzion ST-1 tires which fixed the vibration as was experiencing. I'm really happy with these tires and they were only $360 shipped or so.

KD3iZAGaRJmPQ1xWoAcHPg.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
still love the carbon mirrors with your paint color

thanks buddy:)

Love the wagon! What's next?

Me too!

I should be getting my hatch and Zero Sports wing painted in the next week or so. The center hole is not used on the ZS so it has to be filled in.

I have a jdm GT-B Limited front bumper and crash bar coming in a container sometime in the next few months

And I've decided to do a JDM EJ205 AVCS with 5 speed. So far I've order a complete gasket/seal kit and timing belt kit. I'm on the lookout for the right one.

Here are some recent pics

37A613C0-1321-4DE4-85C1-593C6957B137.jpg

57B4A116-64BE-44AF-9E69-738C12AA2A1F.jpg

76C28CD7-8A31-424A-9E88-5A5D5C4F32D7.jpg

5EEDBFEF-C1AB-436C-AC7F-247E06634157.jpeg

1454607A-8CA6-430B-91EC-2C7BD23DF304.jpg

DB0A801B-2323-4994-8A39-3A6666A9E5E3.jpg

Did you say Zerosports?!

Did you say Zerosports?!

Yes! So far, radiator shroud, front and rear strut bars, muffler, wing and air diverter for the hood scoop.

Well, it looks like I will be doing an engine swap this summer. Jdm non dccd 6mt is on it’s way from Canada and I should be ordering a jdm ej207 ver 8 and maybe Brembos tomorrow!

So far I’ve ordered/received:

Aem wideband, oil pressure and boost gauges

Driver vent gauge cluster

Kartboy shifter bushings and linkage

Sti/wrx motor mounts

Saab 9-2x front crossmember and steering rack (13:1 ratio)

L&E column coupling (to mate up outback column to new steering rack)

Manual pedals and clutch master cylinder

Timing belt kit

Ej207 full gasket and seal kit

Sti oil pan, dip stick and dip stick tube

Moroso oil pickup

Zero Sport air inlet pipe

Exedy clutch

Aem 340 fuel pump for GD

Grimspeed boost controller

Jdm BH aluminum control arms (same as GC STi but half the price)

Tactrix opensource 2.0 tuner

Need to order:

Proper axles

R160 or R180 3.9 rear diff

Front sway bar

Iwire harness

Manual Trans mount

Twin scroll down pipe

52880c2bc1bde408eaf5fda8444dacb2.jpg

4373a548525bd0bf1a5450a16f7fd21b.jpg

c68ccbbbf2ae14bbe7f873989548c2f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk