LegacyGT.com

Oil change for dummies

Alright guys/gals... now I’m really going to look stupid but oh well. My 09 LGT is getting old (146k miles) and I’m out of oil change coupons with the local dealership I work by, it’s time to handle her on my own. Due to some small “piston slap noises” I’ve been debating changing up the oil I typically have put in it. Any recommendations to a brand/viscosity or combo?! I live in SL,UT so temps now are freezing but also get hot hot during summer time! If anyone has any oil/filter recommendations please share :)

Both my cars run Amsoil 5w-40 European Classic and there EA15K13 filter. After having Blackstone Labs run a oil sample, I do 7000 mile oil changes.

Most guy's run Shell Rotella t6 5w-40 and a good oil filter doing 3500 mile oil changes.

Always check your oil and keep it topped off, never let it run low.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've got Rotella t6 5w-40 in right now. Also in slc. Murray to be exact.

I'm not set on the rotella. It's fine I guess. I've never been much caught up in the oil thing but there is a lot of info out there.

As far as temps go. From everything I can tell 5w is fine and the only reason to go to 40 is oil shearing due to the turbo design. From a strict temperature stand point, 5w-30 is fine here for year round. I mean I went to Harmons in hiking pants and a light hoodie. Sure I was cold for a second but it's not even freezing out today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO 5w-40 is what you want to run in these engines year around. My cars see winter temp's in the -teens to -30F from time to time.

Oh, another thing, these cars seem to like to be driven for long distances. Those of us with high mileage seem to have fewer engine problems.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My wagon has plenty of miles and I've used pretty much every oil on the shelf over the last 7 years, in no particular order or preference of weight or brand. Always synthetic and whatever 5w30, 10w30 or 5w40 is on sale.

I keep it changed every 3k-3500 miles, check it every 500 miles, and always keep a quart for topping off. Both my cars use (or leak) a quart of oil every 3k miles, sometimes more.

Both my cars run Amsoil 5w-40 European Classic and there EA15K13 filter. After having Blackstone Labs run a oil sample, I do 7000 mile oil changes.

Most guy's run Shell Rotella t6 5w-40 and a good oil filter doing 3500 mile oil changes.

Amsoil I will 2nd. I ran Amsoil 10w-30 Race oil in my 09 WRX. Car loved it and it Ran it HARD. It is not easy on pockets.

Edited by NORULZleggy

Yea. The diesel oil is usually higher zinc for wear reduction in diesel vehicles so it gets marketed that way although the zinc is also probably good for us with flat tappets (I think that's correct) but it's also killing your catalytic converter apparently.

The main reason for t6 is because it holds up well to the heat and shearing caused by the turbo. Other than that all you car about is the oil grade gl-5 and whatnot. The diesel/truck/whatever designations are just marketing.

I had the same question at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am curious about the Amsoil 5w-40 European Classic oil choice. I've been running Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30 for a few years in my 2 Legacys (09 LGT and 08 2.5i). What is the difference that made you choose the 5w-40 European Classic?

Ever since my engine rebuild ive used Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30. Used Castrol high mileage synthetic 5w-30 in my WRX when I was still in the dealership and that engine had 237k before it got totaled. But ive never had a ton of horsepower to really feel the need to buy higher performance oils. The WRX probably had around 275 whp, and now the LGT is at 305 whp. Between the two oils, I've been satisfied with both.