LegacyGT.com

Wheels won't lock in PARK, "ER 55"

Hey folks...so when I put my car in PARK, the wheels won't lock & it rolls downhill, which is awesome...the rear wheels lock, the front wheels don't...I have error code #55 (Er 55) displayed on my dash...does anyone have any idea what might be going on? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, because I brought it to Long Subaru in Webster, MA yesterday, and because they couldn't "duplicate the problem", they wouldn't even LOOK at it...so needless to say, I picked it up yesterday, and it's doing it again today...PLEASE HELP!

ALSO, when attempting to drive up an icy hill, ONLY the front wheels turn at first, then eventually the rear wheels turn...i thought this was supposed to have ALL wheel drive?

If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

ALSO, when attempting to drive up an icy hill, ONLY the front wheels turn at first, then eventually the rear wheels turn...i thought this was supposed to have ALL wheel drive?

Only the manual transmission Legacies have a 50:50 power split between the front and rear wheels. Your auto is front wheel biased, meaning the front wheels get most of the power, and you will only get 50% power to the rear wheels if the front slips.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2005.html

All Wheel Drive, Automatic transmission Automatic trans: electronically controlled, constantly varying, front bias.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Also, a simple google search got the following:

Er55 is probably an ABS failure code - Speed Sensor. The speed sensors are magnetic rings on each wheel hub. A lot of road salt, grease, or a faulty sensor could be the cause but usually they're just dirty. According to one forum, "According to the service manual if you re-connect the diag connector by the fuse box under the dash, then press the trip knob during the guage sweep it will tell you if/what codes are present."

This is actuallly ABS Error SS for Speed Sensor as I found from a search. My new post is to emphesize the correct reading and to state that the first corrective action is to hose off the wheel hubs to clean the magnetic sensor rings for the speed sensors. In my own case I think that dryed salt from winter roads interfered with the sensor reading and caused the error. Thorough cleaning of the wheel hub areas cleared the fault.
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

thanks for the info...I'm more worried about the inability to keep the car in park without it rolling away than the Er 55, are these two situations related? I didn't think being park had anything to do with the ABS, I thought it was more a transmission problem...but I don't know, so I'm more "asking" than "stating" at this point...
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

Automatic transmissions have pawl that mechanically locks the transmission to keep the car from rolling when the selector is placed in "park". This is what causes the god-awful racket you hear when you try to place an automatic trans in park when the car is moving. Maybe this is broken? I doubt that any electronic issue with an automatic trans will keep this mechanical "feature" from engaging properly.
It is still ugly.

OK, so weirdly enough, this only happens A) when facing uphill, and B) its on an icy slope...I know, I know, you're thinking the car is sliding, but it's not, I peeked out and saw the wheels rolling, as did my father who watching in horror...the CEL and Er 55 has gone away, and on dry pavement, on both directions, the car in Park is fine. Any suggestions?

Here's what's going on....

When you place the selector in park, the tranny is locked. Since the AWD on your car is electromechanical, it only works when the car is on. You also have open differentials. If you are parked on a hill and ONE of the wheels is on ice, the other 3 will roll while the one on ice slides.

To prevent this, firmly apply the PARKING BRAKE. They don't put them in cars for doing rally style turns. This locks both rear wheels which means at least one front wheel is locked by the tranny giving you 3 wheels that can't turn.

You should always use the parking brake anyways because the pin that holds the tranny when you put the slector into park is smaller than your pinky finger... that's the etire weight of the car being held back by something smaller than your finger. Think about that....

The Er55 is from drving on the snow, it will go away on it's own. The ABS system doesn't like when one wheel spins at different speeds than the others alot (driving on snow) and thinks it's broken.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

thanks for all of the information, MWIENER2 that appears to be the issue, especially with how it A) doesnt do this on dry pavement, and B) stops once i DO hit dry pavement from the snow/ice...thanks everyone for your advice, my dealership offered up four minutes of pure "I don't know" for both the parking issue, and Er 55....classy

• 9 months later...
I want to thank gianspi for the google search quotes...I think I got the ABS light and Er SS because I've been driving in salt and sand and CRAP!!!! I have an appt. at the dealer next week, but I'm going to try cleaning my hubs first and maybe avoid an unnecessary diagnostic visit (especially since I'm 3000 miles past warranty!)

Archived