LegacyGT.com

NAV head units - apparently they don't last

Went to the dealer today to have them look at my recently purchased CPO 2015 Outback NAV unit. They determined that I need another unit, no charge at this time and SOA will investigate if there is an invoice for the replacement.

Looking back through the maintenance records the NAV HU was replaced in 2015 at 5,821 miles on the car. Terrible to have to replace a HU on a car with less than 6,000 miles on it.

I think Subaru has dropped a bit in the Consumer Satisfaction and I'm guess it is this sort of thing that people complain about. Since the year my car was produced, it seems that Subaru hasn't tossed the Fujitsu Ten head units.

It has brought Subaru to the Class Action table ---

"2018 Subaru Outback Infotainment System Problems –Class Action Investigation"

https://chimicles.com/2018-subaru-outback-infotainment-system-problems-class-action-lawsuit/

NAV head units - apparently they don't last

Is there ANYTHING about your Outback that you don't dislike? Perhaps you would be happier with a different vehicle.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

True and I can't remember how many people you need for it to be considered a Class Action or maybe it is just getting a judge to classify it as such.

"Rule 23 of the Federal Rules of Procedure, which says that a class action is appropriate when “the class is so numerous that joinder of all members is impracticable.”"

My car will be getting its second HU and hopefully it will be one of the newer varieties.

1. It says Potential suit. Not active. Someone is "thinking" about it.

2. 2018 only.

I believe the manufacturer of the head unit has changed recently? Like in 2018?

Hm? Is this reminiscent of another post?

Let me see ...I've talked about how the dealer may or may not have done their job of preparing a CPO car. I've talked about the NAV HU being wonky and on the Outback forum and other Subbie forums it has been extensively talked about.

And that means I don't like the car? Hm?

Do I have a bit of misgivings about buying a certified car that even the guy at SOA is on my side....yes. The dealer did not do their job for a CPO car that they put on their lot for sale. Because the dealer tried to take a shortcut doesn't mean I don't like the Outback.

Are there known quirks? Yep....one is the lift gate that sticks. Nav HU's are another one and there are more. So what am I to do about it, just keep quiet?

It was on this forum that another person said that my HU was bad. That wasn't me saying it and I was given tsb 15-177-14r on this forum. So should I let the dealer off the hook for something that on their CPO form says should have been checked and fixed? I don't think so.

There are many, many other cars out there that are fun to drive, reasonably priced, good cars. Because I owned other Outbacks, I went searching for an Outback and like the car. Just need to get the kinks worked out but I'm not a starry eyed fan that thinks Outbacks are the only car out there. Although this is my 5th Subbie so maybe I am a bit of a fan? :)

At any given time we normally have 5 vehicles sitting about but we are trying to get down to two. There is only the two of us in the house. Once I sell my Volvo V50 T5 we will finally be down to two cars. I won't lie - I really enjoy that V50 turbo sport wagon. :spin: But I don't enjoy working on it.

Is there ANYTHING about your Outback that you don't dislike? Perhaps you would be happier with a different vehicle.

The zig zag pattern is not supposed to be there and was mentioned in this post -

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/nav-screen-were-they-thinking-271042p2.html

It may be cosmetic now but is it a telltale sign of something else happening. From an internet forum on Outbacks here are a few of the many comments on the HU

"Ours started to fail the same way, first you see the lines then the screen gets foggy and milky looking. It looks like the touch screen separated from the display. The dealer replaced but it took a few weeks to get a new unit. "

"I have the same issue -- capacitive lines on the touchscreen became "too visible". Seeing the screen in sunlight was almost impossible. The dealer said he ordered a new unit for my car, and will get it in a few weeks."

The only issue I have is the zig-zag pattern of the touch sensor in the display being visible, but there's no problem using it, it's purely cosmetic at this stage.

1616278545_ScreenShot2018-05-24at5_36_04PM.thumb.png.02bbdf31db06277807c4df3da7c8c881.png

The zig zag pattern is not supposed to be there and was mentioned in this post -

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/nav-screen-were-they-thinking-271042p2.html

It may be cosmetic now but is it a telltale sign of something else happening. From an internet forum on Outbacks here are a few of the many comments on the HU

"Ours started to fail the same way, first you see the lines then the screen gets foggy and milky looking. It looks like the touch screen separated from the display. The dealer replaced but it took a few weeks to get a new unit. "

"I have the same issue -- capacitive lines on the touchscreen became "too visible". Seeing the screen in sunlight was almost impossible. The dealer said he ordered a new unit for my car, and will get it in a few weeks."

I'm aware of that, but the only version of the TSB I can find on the web lacks this chapter. Seems like a catch-all TSB for all kinds of minor stuff.

I'll check with the workshop or dealer about this whenever I get an opportunity.

453747.png

Was at the dealer, at least now it's noted within the warranty period.

Seems like the display don't stand up well to the heat that the sun can put on it, especially considering the 30+ °C summer we have had here.

453747.png

Seems that I have another car (car #2); another car manufacturer; 4 years newer; over three times the miles on the car and the head unit is perfect. The car also has sat through the same heat.

Perhaps there are two problems:

1. The angle of the Subbie head unit points more toward the sun

2. Maybe it is a more poorly made unit than car #2

So what I am thinking is yes, we get these fixed under warranty but eventually they will again go bad and be out of warranty. :eek:

You think that some engineer would have had an epiphany when they were designing the dash. It would have gone like, hey the angle of that display is going to catch a lot of light and reflection.....maybe we need to change the angle of the HU? Or they caught it too late and to change the design would have cost $millions?

Was at the dealer, at least now it's noted within the warranty period.

Seems like the display don't stand up well to the heat that the sun can put on it, especially considering the 30+ °C summer we have had here.

Yesterday the dealer installed my new unit and what a difference. In the daylight I can actually read the screen and voice recognition works now.

Sad part is that I lost the trial period for Sirus that comes with a subbie certified car. Seems odd that the dealer didn't tell me before the install or that they can't call Sirus and reactivate it. Our sales guy is trying to work it out.

Oh well -- I am happy to have a screen I can see and read.

Yesterday the dealer installed my new unit and what a difference. In the daylight I can actually read the screen and voice recognition works now.

Sad part is that I lost the trial period for Sirus that comes with a subbie certified car. Seems odd that the dealer didn't tell me before the install or that they can't call Sirus and reactivate it. Our sales guy is trying to work it out.

Oh well -- I am happy to have a screen I can see and read.

Do you have a picture of the old one and a new one under similar lighting? I'm curious to see the difference. I feel like I could always see the lines pretty clearly on mine in all conditions except for night driving.

Archived