LegacyGT.com

1994 Subaru Legacy 2.2L

I bought this car 2 years ago with no clue when the timing belt was changed last. Since then, I have put 42,000 miles on it. How often is it supposed to be done? Also, I need to buy the parts for the job, but I don't know what all I need. Can someone give me a list of the necessary components? Thanks!

-Josh

• 4 weeks later...

As far as when timing belts are done, I think the general consensus is 100K; though I've seen people say to change much earlier than that (60-80Kish or so). But in your case, probably better to just go ahead and do it.

I ordered this kit and had it installed by a shop earlier this year. It's pretty inclusive, to include gaskets and such. Includes a new water pump too...might as well since you're in there anyway. You'll have to get a thermostat separately (could reuse your old one I guess, but better safe than sorry). For the thermostat, get OEM though; apparently aftermarket ones don't work for our cars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220923662066?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D220923662066%26_rdc%3D1

Be careful ordering stuff on ebay, that's a good looking kit has everything. That tensioner is wrong for your 94 2.2 though. You have the plunger style tensioner that was discontinued in 97. I bought a timing belt kit on ebay with that aisin pump and gmb rollers about a month ago haven't had problems with it.

BTW you have posted in the media gallery, we have model specific forums and relevant topic forums as well. Have fun and good luck with your subaru.

^^Agree. That kit was specific to my car (a 1998). The vendor asked me for my VIN and date of manufacture to ensure the correct parts were in the kit. If you get a kit off of eBay (or Amazon, or even other online "car parts" stores) it's a good idea to contact the vendor with more detailed info to ensure you get the right stuff.

Archived