LegacyGT.com

Help me price my car for sale?

Hello all, I have an issue finding a price point to sell my car for haha. The difficulty is the fact that it is engine swapped and modded (who's isn't), and I do not know the year of the engine, just that the block had 800 miles when I got it and now the whole engine has ~5k. Therefore I'm kinda stumped. Upon doing research everyone has concluded you really cant figure out the exact year by just looking. But with only 800 miles it had to be relatively new. The turbo is rather clean it's definitely slightly older than the engine though. She is a 2008 LGT 5MT, 160k on the body, paint is how you'd expect for the age and the inside is very clean. EJ257, STI rods, STI crank, 100m forged pistons rated for 450hp, bored to 2.57, VF-52 (19.7 PSI), 3 inch catless dp, 2 inch up pipe, dw 65c fuel pump, (clutch, sway end links, battery, and right front wheel bearing BRAND NEW) and all protuned from tuning alliance. Comes with the accessport as well. Reason for selling is to get a paid off newer car, I paid a very modest price for this as the owner was a Subaru master tech who needed money and sold me his brand new untuned rebuild. She's been my daily now for almost 8 months and the 19 MPG for 280 miles and $40 a tank is still awesome, besides that theres nothing wrong mechanically :lol: Thank you to anyone that actually reads this and tries to help!

THE FORUMS WONT ALLOW ME TO POST PICTURES SO HERE IS LINKS:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9hsgssiwxldd0z/20200406_135734_HDR.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kxz1peljgm39c9m/20200406_135745_HDR.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg9usgr8lf6q80k/20200406_145631_HDR.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qj02t021o2q3fy3/20200406_145110_HDR.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oivi17ruuvu380w/Snapchat-1239299041.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8gdydvpijzscxm/20200406_145356_HDR.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ix1te2grg8g8p7d/20200406_145347_HDR.jpg?dl=0

Can't look at the photos while at work, but I'd expect somewhere in the 5-10k range, depending on the condition of the rest of the car. Lack of documentation on the build is an issue, I'd hesitate to just hand you cash without doing a bunch of checkout myself if I were looking at your car.

If I were you, I'd grab a Blackstone used oil analysis, and maybe make a video of you compression/leakdown testing the car to go with the sale. Anything to prove it's still mechanically in good shape. 5k on the block doesn't guarantee that, in my mind.

Can't look at the photos while at work, but I'd expect somewhere in the 5-10k range, depending on the condition of the rest of the car. Lack of documentation on the build is an issue, I'd hesitate to just hand you cash without doing a bunch of checkout myself if I were looking at your car.

If I were you, I'd grab a Blackstone used oil analysis, and maybe make a video of you compression/leakdown testing the car to go with the sale. Anything to prove it's still mechanically in good shape. 5k on the block doesn't guarantee that, in my mind.

Thank you I just ordered my free kit which is nice, my original estimation was I could probably get around $8500 but after researching other similar vehicles around me they sell for more, even ones with far more engine mileage. Around here people are paying roughly ~$7000 for just the EJ257 full built motor with a VF48 and 40k on it. I have much more than just that to offer haha.

"100m forged pistons rated for 450hp, bored to 2.57" + 800 miles on an untuned engine pretty much says low dollars because you're going to need a shortblock soon.

That's the first I've ever heard something like this, care to elaborate why I'd need a short block?

Good lord. I sold a running 40k long block for 2k last year, because I felt dirty asking more.

Yeah they bought a full built long block '13 ej257, came with literally everything you could think of but a car :cool: I think their plan was to get some $1000 junkyard rescue and slap it in hahaha. Not that I'm prying on anyone but people here have MONEY and lots of it. Thats why I'm looking for a more accurate ballpark range otherwise I'll list it for $9000.

I will tell you right now you will likely get 6k top for the car. I looked at the pics, and that's if you steam the carpet, clean the seats, and so on. Man you talking about a modded 08 LGT 5MT, which is the type of car most people do not even think of looking at or consider.

When I was looking for a legacy gt I searched 400 mile area from my house. They were so over priced, and when i asked simple questions about the car and things the vets on this site knew, so many red flags jumped out.

It's a 12 year old car in good shape, but you got to to see what your market is. I sold my 09 WRX with 87k miles for 13k, and bought it for 10k. the car was n excellent shape.

My point is just don't be that guy that ask 9k, then you sell it for 5200 lol, cause I saw a few cars on here that were 6k with like 3 mods and I would have flew to buy.

I will tell you right now you will likely get 6k top for the car. I looked at the pics, and that's if you steam the carpet, clean the seats, and so on. Man you talking about a modded 08 LGT 5MT, which is the type of car most people do not even think of looking at or consider.

When I was looking for a legacy gt I searched 400 mile area from my house. They were so over priced, and when i asked simple questions about the car and things the vets on this site knew, so many red flags jumped out.

It's a 12 year old car in good shape, but you got to to see what your market is. I sold my 09 WRX with 87k miles for 13k, and bought it for 10k. the car was n excellent shape.

My point is just don't be that guy that ask 9k, then you sell it for 5200 lol, cause I saw a few cars on here that were 6k with like 3 mods and I would have flew to buy.

I appreciate the input, I will say I paid $6400 for this car and many others were ready to do the same and one tried to bid war me haha which leads me to believe I can still get a decent price. There seems to be a growing market over here for these, people are selling 140k stock for $6500. I understand the worries of engine swapping but I refuse to pretend its not a 5k WRX STI with a VF52 and sell it for normal $6000 GT price. Only reason I got it for that is because previous owners daycare cost $1200 a month haha.

I appreciate the input, I will say I paid $6400 for this car and many others were ready to do the same and one tried to bid war me haha which leads me to believe I can still get a decent price. There seems to be a growing market over here for these, people are selling 140k stock for $6500. I understand the worries of engine swapping but I refuse to pretend its not a 5k WRX STI with a VF52 and sell it for normal $6000 GT price. Only reason I got it for that is because previous owners daycare cost $1200 a month haha.

I get cha on that man. I know when I have sold my cars that had tons of mods, I knew I was taking a loss, but some are sooooo proud of their cars. I was ready to sell my WRX for 10K with all the parts , 2 sets of wheels, full suspension, Full aftermarket JL audio, I could go on. But I was lucky.

After my car is done and back from the shop, then a 91 and 93 dyno tune, wheels, suspension, full system, I will have about 10k tied up including the cost of the car. Now I pay cash for all my cars, and did for my wifes 13 legacy. So I will have no debt, or car payment and I have a 2 and 4 year old in daycare. i just saved and it has taken about 2 years to do this right.

I get cha on that man. I know when I have sold my cars that had tons of mods, I knew I was taking a loss, but some are sooooo proud of their cars. I was ready to sell my WRX for 10K with all the parts , 2 sets of wheels, full suspension, Full aftermarket JL audio, I could go on. But I was lucky.

After my car is done and back from the shop, then a 91 and 93 dyno tune, wheels, suspension, full system, I will have about 10k tied up including the cost of the car. Now I pay cash for all my cars, and did for my wifes 13 legacy. So I will have no debt, or car payment and I have a 2 and 4 year old in daycare. i just saved and it has taken about 2 years to do this right.

sheesh, that sounds like a subaru :lol: im trying to do exactly that though and pay for a car outright. Although, someone offered me $2000 and a 2017 motorcycle worth about 7k. hmmm?

"100m forged pistons rated for 450hp, bored to 2.57" + 800 miles on an untuned engine pretty much says low dollars because you're going to need a shortblock soon.

That's the first I've ever heard something like this, care to elaborate why I'd need a short block?

"Yeah they bought a full built long block '13 ej257, came with literally everything you could think of but a car "

So which is it? A custom build engine or something else? Cause if really is such an engine, it's worth more than the car

"Yeah they bought a full built long block '13 ej257, came with literally everything you could think of but a car "

So which is it? A custom build engine or something else? Cause if really is such an engine, it's worth more than the car

I am referencing someone i know through a mutual friend, the facts pertaining to my car is that it was fully rebuilt with all new OEM parts except for what was listed. So yes, looking up that low of mileage EJ257 with 5k miles and VF52 is more expensive than my car, such is why I refuse to sell it for what just the 160k Legacy GT would go for. If a EJ257 engine with a VF39 and 71k miles cost 4k why would i sell mine which has to be 6-8 years newer or more with a nice car for 6000? Also why would I need a short block?

Edited by Offwhite1666

Read the middle of his first post, Mike Kinsman of TA Tuned the car, I'll assume that's after he bought it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Read the middle of his first post, Mike Kinsman of TA Tuned the car, I'll assume that's after he bought it.

Indeed it was, he is really smart but odd. He sent a base tune and 3 revisions and never answered me again. So I assume my tune was complete. Its been 7 months lol.

Right now it is hard to price any car with this pandemic and job economy. From what I have seen the few buyers are looking for bargains. I have a 2011 LGT that I was going to sell this spring. I am just going to hold on it for now because their is too much uncertainty right now.

160k miles isn't helping your cars value. I assume it has an STI short block rebuilt with forged pistons. The STI stuff really isn't that special, maybe only to the uniformed. The 2005-2006 GT's had EJ257 short blocks.

IMO price out 160K miles 2008 GT add or subtract for condition, add for the $1000 or so for the rebuilt motor, the other mods don't add much in value ($500). Many of the modified 4th Gen GT are worth more in parts than as whole.