LegacyGT.com

Custom Dyno tune & AP3

Hello all,

Probably a stupid question but here goes.

Can someone please enlighten me as to why I need to purchase a AP3 if I'm having a Subaru Cobb certified Pro tune on a Mustang dyno.

05 GT Wagon, mods will be STG2, Custom JmP VF40, Cobb catted DP, Greddy SP2 CB, Cobb EBCS.

I've read several threads, and dont get it, part of Cobb cetification?

Does everyone agree this is the best/safest way to go? Curious why I need to spend a extra $700.

Thanks guys!

It's the way Cobb tunes.

You can talk to the ECU two ways, either open source (ECU Flash or similar) or via a Cobb AP. Cobb will obviously only use their own tool rather than open source tooling. There should be a package price on a custom tune + Cobb AP (I would imagine).

So you’re stock right now with no AP yeah? If that’s the case then yup a Cobb tuner is going to need that as the vessel upon which they will pour your tuning greatness into :). If your saying that you already have an older AP and the shop wants you to upgrade then yeah that’s where they get you eventually. Most decent tuners will give you a credit towards your old AP when you purchase a new one and get a dyno tune with them.

Have you reached out to Dave at https://www.cryotuneperformance.com/

Tell him we sent you and see if he'll do something for you with a custom tune and AP.

some tuners years ago would offer the Cobb AP and tune as a package deal.

The reason Tuners would rather work a Cobb AP is because most customers don't know how to use the "open source" tune software. So when the Tuner charges you for the E-tune, and you don't understand how to load it, etc. The customer comes back and wants to be taught how to use it...but doesn't want to pay for the Tuners time spent teaching.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thx Max, I reached out to Dave about a tune several months ago, he seemed a bit hesitant but willing to do the tune ( 138K), I'm going to have compression and a leak down test done when I have my valve cover gaskets and plugs changed.

Now the question is Cobb dyno tune vs open source.

Thx Max, I reached out to Dave about a tune several months ago, he seemed a bit hesitant but willing to do the tune ( 138K), I'm going to have compression and a leak down test done when I have my valve cover gaskets and plugs changed.

Now the question is Cobb dyno tune vs open source.

This is entirely down to your tuner. If you’re a hypochondriac with your car like I am, then it’s best to go open source unless your tuner requires an Accessport, like my guys at Surgeline do. I leave my AP in the armrest unless I need to diagnose stuff, check a check engine light, etc. I’ve been told by the guy who tuned my car prior that he vastly prefers tuning with an Accessport because it gives him better data for his needs.

Ultimately, it’s up to your tuner. More and more of them seem to be Accessport-only.

• 2 weeks later...
You can also checkout Snail Performance in Sacramento. That's what I'm going to end up doing. I would have gone with someone local in Reno, but I just don't trust them. Plus, Snail Performance is going to send me a break-in tune before I protune my car.

You can also checkout Snail Performance in Sacramento. That's what I'm going to end up doing. I would have gone with someone local in Reno, but I just don't trust them. Plus, Snail Performance is going to send me a break-in tune before I protune my car.

Snail is building a 1000hp lgt sedan for a local customer. If it's in the shop, get pics. Has custom lightweight windows, stripped interior, cage, etc

Snail is building a 1000hp lgt sedan for a local customer. If it's in the shop, get pics. Has custom lightweight windows, stripped interior, cage, etc

If I can my car done and get it there for tuning before they finish it. I'll make sure to get pics.

I've talked asked Travis @ Snail a couple of questions. AP required.

Yea very true AP is required with them. I'll let you know how the tuning goes with Snail performance.

the way I understand it is that when you install an AP it completely guts the software of the stock ECU and installs its own software, which is how it allows for realtime flash and other custom sensor inputs. its like installing linux on a windows computer. complete wipe; different code.

whereas a normal opensource tune just updates the stock subaru tables to the fueling and ignition timing that the tuner wants.

If you're tuning with cobb software, you need the ap to "install linux"