LegacyGT.com

remote start

Many of us don't warm up our cars truthfully, and you may be doing more harm than good. I support your goals, but consider going to your car when you're ready to leave for work, start it and drive away. Just baby it till your coolant is in a good temp range. Even the coldest days, I'm driving away within a minute or two. Sure the first cpl minutes suck, but your seats will come alive quickly. 173k miles on my wagon doing it this way.

Another member way smarter than me:

"The car heats up unevenly in other words. From variations inside the engine itself to the driveline there are not only the lubricants to consider but the metals as well.

It works the other way somewhat, too. Once you have pounded on the car and have it heatsoaked you have gone the other direction. Brake systems are another temperature consideration.

Another negative related to excessive idling, it has a tendency to skew your fuel trims. Idle too long and it can affect your full throttle operation. If you're going to sit for a while, turn it off."

I have a Viper 5601 remote start and alarm. On a 5MT car. Love it. I don't idle forever, maybe 5-8 minutes or so when it's cold, and I still take it easy once driving. But I like giving my heat a head start. UOAs showed no additional fuel or wear, so the guts were fine.

That's good your UOA shows it works for you. My car exhaust smells like raw fuel during cold morning startups, and I don't chance it. Enough fuel gets in the oil and it has potential for significant burn off.

Running an old hornet alarm (564T) with 2 way pager that shows internal temps. I used to let it run forever but I ended up just doing it to get a head start before I dug it out of the snow and cleared the windows off. Pretty much to avoid a wall of snow falling in on the seats to hand start it before fully clearing the 2 feet of snow off. Having a loud exhaust and working 3rds had also deterred me from long running times.

Archived