LegacyGT.com

What'd you do to your FIRST Gen. Subaru today?

Anybody?

Dude... take a look at the dates in this thread- it gets posted in like once every 2-3 months. Plus this probably isn't the right thread for your question, it's a thread about "hey check out the recent work I did".

If you have a specific question that you can't find an answer for by searching feel free to start a new thread yourself rather than tossing a question into an unrelated thread and expecting a lightening response. And even then, you'll probably have to wait a while for the answer you're looking for... 1st gens are ~30 years old at this point, not like this entire subforum sees a ton of action in general. Try googling it, or looking in a website that shows interchange info if you haven't already.

Try calling around to a salvage yard, I really doubt you will be lucky enough to find one in your local yard but they can pull one up on a locator and tell you where the nearest one is, or even order it in for you.

Also, please add a little more info about your car so people can help you. Is it automatic or manual? I'm assuming the car is non-turbo if it was a postal vehicle. Front wheel or all wheel drive? Are you sure the transmission needs to be replaced and cannot be repaired?

And yes transmissions are expensive, I am 100% not shocked at all that replacing the transmission in a 1991 Subaru would cost about as much as (if not more than) the entire car.

Edited by RecklessWOT

New to the forum

I bought a 91 Legacy RHD for USPS job. Transmission is not working at the moment, need to take it to the mechanic to check it. What years could be use to swap it. I found a chart showing 91-09, could somebody, please confirm that for me. I only found 2 on ebay and the price is almost what I paid for the car and they are from a 91.

Thanks in advance

You might want to consider a first gen Legacy forum like Legacy Central.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Dude... take a look at the dates in this thread- it gets posted in like once every 2-3 months. Plus this probably isn't the right thread for your question, it's a thread about "hey check out the recent work I did".

If you have a specific question that you can't find an answer for by searching feel free to start a new thread yourself rather than tossing a question into an unrelated thread and expecting a lightening response. And even then, you'll probably have to wait a while for the answer you're looking for... 1st gens are ~30 years old at this point, not like this entire subforum sees a ton of action in general. Try googling it, or looking in a website that shows interchange info if you haven't already.

Try calling around to a salvage yard, I really doubt you will be lucky enough to find one in your local yard but they can pull one up on a locator and tell you where the nearest one is, or even order it in for you.

Also, please add a little more info about your car so people can help you. Is it automatic or manual? I'm assuming the car is non-turbo if it was a postal vehicle. Front wheel or all wheel drive? Are you sure the transmission needs to be replaced and cannot be repaired?

And yes transmissions are expensive, I am 100% not shocked at all that replacing the transmission in a 1991 Subaru would cost about as much as (if not more than) the entire car.

My mechanic fixed it. Was the axle. Car is good now. Maybe I will need more help later on, so I will answer few of the questions asked:

It is automatic, all wheel drive

I poste here because I did not receive any answer in the other forums

I just need this car for Postal Job. Is 1 day a week job until you get the route

It can take years to get the route

Did not want to spend a lot of money because that

I have 6 other cars but not right handed and not subaru

So thanks for the reply

• 11 months later...

I need a cylinder head for my 94 first gen!!!! Drivers side if anyone has links to one. I had jbwelded the head when I replaced the head gaskets. But it has failed. And is using coolant again. Hit me up if you know where one is. Thanks!!!!!

Josh

Edited by 94legacy22

I need a cylinder head for my 94 first gen!!!! Drivers side if anyone has links to one. I had jbwelded the head when I replaced the head gaskets. But it has failed. And is using coolant again. Hit me up if you know where one is. Thanks!!!!!

Josh

There are a couple salvage yards near(ish) you that have them listed. Bug Stevens Freetown Auto in Assonet shows one in stock with no price, they may or may not really have it. Lowell Used Auto Parts shows 4 of them in stock for $100 each, so I'm sure they're bound to have at least one or two. I'm assuming your car is N/A (as turbos were very rare), if that's the case both sides are the same. Only the turbo has a difference between left or right. The 2.2 was relatively unchanged, so you can use the heads from 2nd gens that had the 2.2 also. These cars were super common at one point in time, so they're around.

• 4 weeks later...
I had the head machined. Gonna fill the gaps the rest of the way with jb weld. Good enough for me.

I thought JB weld failed you last time? You said "good enough for me" but that's probably what you said last time too.

Dude, don't be cheap. You live on the cape and own 3 vehicles, surely you can cough up the hundred bucks or so to do it right... You already paid to have the head machined, used heads are NOT expensive. What are you, 17?

How many times do you want to tear this engine down? Sooner or later if you suck in enough coolant you're gonna fuk up a main bearing then your car will need more than just a new head. Come on, man.

Edited by RecklessWOT

LOL. It’s my car. I’ll do it again if I want to. And it’s never mixed coolant and oil. It was 40$ to machine. And 15$ for head gasket and exhaust manifold gasket. I’m cheep yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. It’s my car. I’ll do it again if I want to. And it’s never mixed coolant and oil. It was 40$ to machine. And 15$ for head gasket and exhaust manifold gasket. I’m cheep yes.

"hur dur dur it's my car I'll do what I want" yeah I get it man. Do whatever you want it doesn't affect me one bit. But here you asking where to find heads, you find out that they're not as rare as you thought and only cost $100 semi-locally, and instead you decide to to the same insanely halfassed repair that just failed you last time which lead you to you coming on here asking for heads.

You went through all the work of taking the head off and even having it machined (which you should be doing even if you had bought a replacement), and you're totally fine having to inevitably do it a 3rd time a little while from now just to save $100? Plus, by having only one head machined technically half of your engine now has a different compression ratio.

Hah I'm a cheap bastard too, but there's a limit, I don't intentionally punish myself just to save one week's worth of gas money (if that). You say you'll do it again if you want to, but why in the world would you want to? I have literally swapped an engine before so I didn't have to deal with a bad head.

Hah I wasn't trying to start anything or to come across as a dick, I was just pointing out the obvious. Down in your heart you KNOW that wasn't the right decision. Couldn't let you off that easy lol

Edited by RecklessWOT

And you say it's never mixed oil and coolant, that's great and all. You claimed it's "using" coolant, unless it's leaking externally down the side of the block it's still getting inside your engine. Most of it may be getting burned off, but even just getting in you combustion chamber is pretty bad in many ways (rings, valves, spark plug, potential for rust, etc). And if it gets bad enough it will eventually get into your oil, or if a huge volume of coolant gets in there all of a sudden due to gasket failure you can still have a catastrophic failure because liquid cannot compress the same way that an air/fuel mixture can. Honestly that's how you end up throwing a rod through the side of the block or something, has the potential to do far more damage to your engine then the slow wearing out that a little water in the oil can cause. I mean hey do what you want, it is your car afterall. But next time don't come looking for help then just decide to show off the fact that you decided to just do it the dumb way again for the heck of it. Edited by RecklessWOT

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I slid off a highway overpass and crashed the rear suspension into a conveniently placed municipal drainage access port.

For the last week I've been trying to take the rear trailing arm off and I think I broke the fastening nuts because two of the bolts are spinning freely stuck in the chassis. Currently running through my head what kind of process would make the most sense to be able to get these free spinning bolts out,

I did that with a trans mount bolt.  I drilled through with a small long bit to locate the spot on the floor and then used that as the cener for a hole saw sized for a suitable deep socket.  Only hangup was that the  weld in nut was square not hex, but problem solved.

• Thanks 1