LegacyGT.com

Another burnt exhaust valve

I picked up a 5mt with a dead cylinder. Tore into it today and the leak down test didn't lie. Heres a few pics, I'm thinking it maybe was rebuilt based on the crosshatch at 230kms. And theres no ridge at all. I couldn't fit .003 in 3 of 4 exhaust valves.

Mine burnt a valve after an injector failed. Not surprised. Makes me wonder how many out there have the same issues.

I just rebuilt my engine about 3K miles ago and one of my injectors is starting to leak. I hope I don't go down the route you went :lol:

I picked up a 5mt with a dead cylinder. Tore into it today and the leak down test didn't lie. Heres a few pics, I'm thinking it maybe was rebuilt based on the crosshatch at 230kms. And theres no ridge at all. I couldn't fit .003 in 3 of 4 exhaust valves.

My car's original engine went out at 214K miles after (I believe) being starved of oil. Never tore into it to see what was up, but I do know my valve clearance was at something like .07 a year before the rebuild. I was afraid of burning a valve at that clearance, let alone with .003.

What are your rebuild plans?

Yes, I'm going to have the injectors cleaned and flow checked as part of the repair. I also want to put in a new clutch but am having a hard time finding a single mass flywheel that isnt 12lbs. None of my machine shops can resurface mine. i might just clean it up and put a clutch kit in.

I've sent the heads out for machining and new valves where needed. I'm not doing any major mods at this point. I think the only upgrade will be arp studs as I cant find any reasonable head bolts that are much cheaper. The turbo inspected fine, cylinders looked great etc. I could do an uppipe/downpipe while its apart but I want to drive the car in good running stock form before I do anyhting else to it.