LegacyGT.com

Swapping a 2008 WRX intake manifold for topfeed conversion?

Hey all, looks like my OEM side feeds are starting to give me some issues with stalling and jerkiness, so I’m looking to do a topfeed conversion. I’d really like to leave this part of the car looking stock as much as possible and the guys at Surgeline offered a stock intake manifold from a 2008-14 WRX complete with STi injectors and TGVs. I’m worried about all the miscellaneous things that may need to be swapped. Any sensors or eccentricities I should know about? Would it just be a better bet to suck it up and spend the money on the stuff from ID/IAG? Thanks.

I believe you will need the TMIC & turbo as well if the intake manifold is metal. If it's plastic it should be identical to yours, and will bolt right up.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Just going with what I am given here. If I just need topfeed TGVs then that might make my life easier. It appears to be black plastic, the intake manifold from the WRX. I’ve got a Perrin TMIC (Legacy GT fitment) on my car already. Any issues to be expected there?

I’m trying to keep most of this stuff as OEM as possible for the appearance and for longevity. I appreciate the offer, Boxkita. When I head up to Seattle (hopefully next month) I may take those off your hands, but currently planning on using the stuff Surgeline has lying around.

Why not just go with OEM top feed fuel rails and TGV deletes? If I remember correctly, when they swapped in my 16G and went topfeed 1050’s, TGV delete, all I needed was the different fuel rails and Brandon had some off a WRX in the shop so we used those. Didn’t have to change my manifold.

Why not just go with OEM top feed fuel rails and TGV deletes? If I remember correctly, when they swapped in my 16G and went topfeed 1050’s, TGV delete, all I needed was the different fuel rails and Brandon had some off a WRX in the shop so we used those. Didn’t have to change my manifold.

I’ve been communicating with Jack over there, and I think he hasn’t had this request before so there’s been some muddied communication. I think you’re right (all I need are the TGVs and the topfeed fuel rails off that WRX) plus the included STi injectors on there. He’s got in the quote written up for me a line item for swapping the engine harness over from my car to hook up to the new manifold and I’m fairly certain that’s an unnecessary step. It should be something like Remove manifold > replace TGVs with WRX ones > replace gaskets > put manifold on > add new fuel rail and lines, right?

I’ll email Brandon and maybe he can figure it out. Thanks.

I’ve been communicating with Jack over there, and I think he hasn’t had this request before so there’s been some muddied communication. I think you’re right (all I need are the TGVs and the topfeed fuel rails off that WRX) plus the included STi injectors on there. He’s got in the quote written up for me a line item for swapping the engine harness over from my car to hook up to the new manifold and I’m fairly certain that’s an unnecessary step. It should be something like Remove manifold > replace TGVs with WRX ones > replace gaskets > put manifold on > add new fuel rail and lines, right?

I’ll email Brandon and maybe he can figure it out. Thanks.

Yeah pretty sure its just that straightforward. Worth a check with Brandon for sure. I definitely didn't have to swap my manifold and other than the usual random gaskets, and build parts it was just an OEM top feed WRX fuel rail that they luckily had on the shelf from a recent swap out and then my new IAG TGV deletes and the 1050 Injector Dynamics top feeds that were swapped in. Should be good to to with that config. The labor is a bit of a sting but its does take some time...

Edited by shralp

You really only need the rail/tgvs. There may be a plastic wiring har ess clip on the manifold that needs clipped on the passenger side as well. I also used the coolant tank mount from a top feed car. One last item I don't see mentioned often is that top feed cars have a different evap line setup; the metal hard lines have one extra hose that I just capped off.

just clip the evap line. :)

look for a metal sti upper cooling tank. its a nice upgrade and breaking off the connections is no longer an issue.

I'm guessing you're talking about an 08+ sti upper cooling tank?