LegacyGT.com

05 LGT 5spd EJ257 Type RA Build

This is an awesome build, man! I'm also working on the black upper interior swap for my wagon. Yours turned out really well! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Thanks man, I appreciate that! I get my clutch today and still have to install more parts on the engine. I'm very close to getting this thing into the car. I'm debating on if I should wait until I have my injectors or to just go for it and install the engine in the car. Then while the engine is in the car I can install the intake manifold. Everything is a lot easier to get to while the engine is out so I'm leaning on waiting. I think I'll have to remove most of the interior pieces to do the headliner and paint the tan plastic with SEM landau black. I think I'll hold off on that until it warms up just a bit more.

Hi Everyone,

I've been researching this topic and trying to figure out how to use an 08+ wrx air intake. This really has my interest since there are so many used parts for the wrx near me. I bought an Injen cold air intake and it has the 08+ wrx maf with it. I haven't been able to find in my searches anyone who's used the 08+ wrx maf sensor in a 2005 - 2009 LGT. I know everyone is going to say to stick with the stock air intake but I think having options other than stock is good to know. I was just wondering if anyone here has used it on their car? If so do you happen to have a pin out as well? Also, how did it go when it came time for tuning? Any help is appreciated.

I remember briefly reading the explanation, but my internet is shitty at work. Why are you hell bent on using the wrx intake? Not trying to be rude, just curious since buying a lgt cobb intake is super easy.

I wouldn't say hell bent. Most parts around my area are all from a wrx and they are everywhere. So finding great deals for a wrx intake is easy. I bought an air intake from an 08+ wrx and as we all know they are different. I'm trying to figure out if it using the wrx maf would be an better option since everywhere I've read it says they have a higher threshold. Either way my car is going to get tuned so I just figure I could just throw on this intake and swap over the maf while I'm at it.

Why did you go with a Competition clutch kit?

I went with Comp clutch because the clutch that was in the car was toast and it was still going. In my years of building cars comp clutch has always been good. The one I got was the same one that was originally in the car and will bolt up perfectly with the comp clutch flywheel. Maybe in the future if I go 6 speed I'll go with someone else.

fair enough, just read in one of your other posts how much cheaper it was then buying a whole new kit so it makes sense. Its just I had a lot of chatter & clutch noise in two different cars with competition clutches.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

fair enough, just read in one of your other posts how much cheaper it was then buying a whole new kit so it makes sense. Its just I had a lot of chatter & clutch noise in two different cars with competition clutches.

That makes sense. I guess I'll find out how a fresh clutch from them feels. If anything I'll switch to an exedy at some point.

Update

I just ordered my Accessport and ID 1050x injectors tonight. Can't wait for these items to come in. I should be working on putting my engine together in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait to throw the new engine in the car. In the meantime I'm going to order a stock 08+ wrx radiator until I can spend a little more for a 2 row from Koyo. I'm just trying to get this car road worthy and tuned with all of this EPA stuff going on. I should be able to order an AEM 340 lph fuel pump in the next couple of weeks.

I got a little bit work done today. I installed my exhaust manifold and Group-N motor mounts. I'm getting ready to buy a pressure bleeder and fill it with plenty of oil. That way I don't run into any issues when I start the engine. I should be installing my turbo, tgv deletes and new fuel injectors next week. I'll also start making some of my new fuel lines.

D2fCyPMl.jpg

Update

I received my ID 1050x injectors and Accessport today. Everything looks great but I feel like a total dummy haha. When I bought the PnP injector adapters I thought I was buying the set for a great deal lol. Well I was actually buying 1 adapter. I'm kicking myself right now. What I ended up doing was ordering a connector set from amazon. I figured I'd just build my own adapters since I have a ton wiring and Raychem DR-25 / Deray V25 heatshrink.

LDrlZTNl.jpg

FLfZEXDl.jpg

FUSkdyll.jpg

Update

I received my 2008+ wrx Denso 221-9235 radiator yesterday from RockAuto. I'm glad CoverRussian's thread covered this radiator. It really helped with going this route in the meantime until I can upgrade down the line. My original radiator looks in great condition but I figured I might as well have everything new for the new engine. I also ordered some nylon vise jaws so I don't beat up my IAG fuel rails when I torque down the damper plug. I'm hoping I can make really good progress on the long block this week and looking forward to having the engine in the car next month. Does anyone recommend I install my turbo and uppipe while the engine is out? Or should I do that when the engine is in the car? When I originally took the engine out I had already removed the turbo and headers since I was working on the oil pick up when I found glitter in the oil pan.

Nylon Vise Jaws:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019VOT6JG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Radiator:

A8dwmJGl.jpg

lUuCCprl.jpg

Edited by k00laid83

I like to have the UP and turbo installed so I can prime the oil system while it’s on the stand. However it can be helpful to leave the hardware attaching them a little loose to make it easier to clear the edge of the bell housing as you align the engine and trans. Then just tighten down the hardware once the engine is in place.

I like to have the UP and turbo installed so I can prime the oil system while it’s on the stand. However it can be helpful to leave the hardware attaching them a little loose to make it easier to clear the edge of the bell housing as you align the engine and trans. Then just tighten down the hardware once the engine is in place.

^Good advise. I did not do that and I did have to fight the trans a bit..

Edited by xt2005bonbon

^Good advise. I did not do that and I did have to find the trans a bit..

Thanks for the advise guys. I have to order a couple of exhaust gaskets from summit. Honestly, I didn't even think about having the turbo installed for priming. I'm glad you said something. It makes total sense. I'll be making my fuel lines when I install my TGV deletes.

Oh come on now, don't tell me you haven't seen this picture, DSCN4783.thumb.JPG.94d2adda20d9ae57cb5571f85ed3ad74.JPG

Turbo "bolted on " the up pipe before install. Also line up your tmic first to make sure that PITA OEM throttle body hose is aligned.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Oh come on now, don't tell me you haven't seen this picture, [ATTACH]291073[/ATTACH]

Turbo "bolted on " the up pipe before install. Also line up your tmic first to make sure that PITA OEM throttle body hose is aligned.

Lol yes I've seen that pic. I just forgot about it. I'll make sure to line up my TMIC while the engine is out. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

I had a couple of parts come in today. I ordered a RCM / SAMCO BPV Hose, and AEM 340 LPH fuel pump. My oem bpv hose is torn at the end where it goes into the bpv. I was thinking it might be tough to fit the bpv hose extension that's provided in the grimmspeed tmic kit. The quality of this hose is very nice, I'm glad I went for this over a stock piece which is $50 to $75 new. The RCM / SAMCO was $52.71 which in my opinion is a great price.

ezR4XBcl.jpg

Finally got some work done on the engine. I installed my IAG TGV deletes, fuel rails, and ID 1050x injectors. I also made my own fuel injector adapters since me being a dummy didn't buy the cobb injectors that came with adapters. Also, when I ordered my injectors I added one single adapter thinking it came in a set and not individually priced. Either way I think my adapters turned out great.

zpode0al.jpg

nYwU7atl.jpg

kvqsCval.jpg

rKh0pr7l.jpg

mkDlBc3l.jpg

mLtRtY5l.jpg

FcndxWBl.jpg

MkgREval.jpg

Finally got some work done on the engine. I installed my IAG TGV deletes, fuel rails, and ID 1050x injectors. I also made my own fuel injector adapters since me being a dummy didn't buy the cobb injectors that came with adapters. Also, when I ordered my injectors I added one single adapter thinking it came in a set and not individually priced. Either way I think my adapters turned out great.

zpode0al.jpg

nYwU7atl.jpg

kvqsCval.jpg

rKh0pr7l.jpg

mkDlBc3l.jpg

mLtRtY5l.jpg

FcndxWBl.jpg

MkgREval.jpg

Good job, but before you get it installed do you have a tuner that will tune your car for removed TGV's. Current EPA regulations make it nearly impossible to find a tuner to Tune out the codes for TGV deletes, and something you should keep in mind if you end up needing to revert back to stock.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Good job, but before you get it installed do you have a tuner that will tune your car for removed TGV's. Current EPA regulations make it nearly impossible to find a tuner to Tune out the codes for TGV deletes, and something you should keep in mind if you end up needing to revert back to stock.

I read a post about someone having issues getting the TGV deletes tuned. I have a tuner I was going to go with. I'm doing very best to get this done asap. I guess I'll find out when I have to tune.

Update on this: I spoke with my local tuner and he advised that he's only seen it with OTS tunes and that he's able to protune my tgv deletes.

Edited by k00laid83

Update

I got a great deal on used Tein Flex Z coilovers for the Legacy. The old owner advised that they had the coilovers on for about a year or two. It's way better than the cut springs that are on the rear of the car. When I initially bought the car I had issues with the suspension. So I took it back to the car dealer. The guy had a spare legacy and put on stock springs and struts from the parts car and didn't replace the back. The car ended up riding way higher in the front than the rear. At least now I'll have the car sitting right once it's up and running. These should serve me well for a while until I decide to upgrade to fortune autos.

WeDPdmel.jpg

zUJeD0Yl.jpg