LegacyGT.com

Camber recommendations

My 2009 Legacy GT is likely to need an alignment and I am looking for camber setting feedback. I bought the car in the later half of 2016 and it has been pretty much zero maintenance since then except for of course oil/fluid/filter changes and such. It has always looked like it has a bit of negative camber on the front wheels. I and my son have noticed this. The prior owner must have had a bit of a performance thought in them since the car has an aftermarket rear sway bar and a Grimmspeed brake cylinder brace. Maybe they had tuned the camber for best performance??? Bringing it to the shop tomorrow since it has been 2+ years w/o alignment and my son and I had the right knuckle apart to replace the inner CV boot today. Any recommendations for setting or threads on camber settings?

Is it on the stock struts and springs?

Someone more knowledgeable than me should chime in bc I'm not 100% on this topic, but camber is not adjustable in the rear on the LGT. Lowering springs create around -1° static camber in the rear and setting it at -1° camber all around is pretty acceptable even for a DD if I'm not mistaken (as long as it's not all highway commuter car). Setting 0 toe is the key importance I believe.

If you're on the OEM struts, springs and wheels, probably just stick with an OEM spec alignment.

Please double check.

Edited by BoozeRS05

Is it on the stock struts and springs?

Someone more knowledgeable than me should chime in bc I'm not 100% on this topic, but camber is not adjustable in the rear on the LGT. Lowering springs create around -1° static camber in the rear and setting it at -1° camber all around is pretty acceptable even for a DD if I'm not mistaken (as long as it's not all highway commuter car). Setting 0 toe is the key importance I believe.

If you're on the OEM struts, springs and wheels, probably just stick with an OEM spec alignment.

Please double check.

As far as I can tell yes it is on the stock springs and struts. My son was telling me he would have them set it at -0.5* camber on the front.

Max negative camber while keeping both side the same. If one side goes more negative than the other, back it off to match the other side.

With oem or similar suspension, equality between both sides matters more than any particular camber target(within reason)

• 1 year later...

That’s a bump from the days gone past!

I’d highly recommend picking up a Whiteline rear control arm kit for anybody who wants a little bit of extra camber in the rear. Probably the biggest handling change I’ve noticed on my car.

I put a Whiteline camber kit on my 07 LGT a couple of years ago when I had some much too large wheels and even after getting the fenders rolled still needed to get the wheels cambered in a little more to stop rubbing.

I have several complaints about this kit. first, it doesn't come with a tool to adjust it, nor could I find a suitable at all online. Due to this several different alignment shops wouldn't touch it so I was forced to eyeball it by grabbing it with a pair of pliers. Second, they don't stay in the position you set them forever, I found that about once every 6 months I'm down there fooling with them again.

For all of this trouble, I don't think it has added anything notable to the way my car handles even when I am being very aggressive on the Twistys

camber doesn't make your car handle better in the same way a turbo makes your car have more power.

If you are guessing at the settings, it's likely your settings didn't improve anything. Also snow/all-season tires aren't going to help your handling.

Find a race car or performance shop and ask for a "competition" alignment.