LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Progress on total rebuild of the steering rack, it is fully disassembled. Stick with me for more tips and tricks on how to save hundreds...unless my rack leaks more after I actually put it back together. TBD

Looking forward to more pics! I’ve never had to fully rebuild a rack on these cars. Looks fun. :cool:

Underdog, thanks. I have only ever seen how to's on rebuilding the pinion and I figured I am rebuilding that, why not give the rest a shot given the mileage on my rack.

For any subaru steering rack, it should be quite similar (especially those 2015+ sti racks)

Once I pressure test the rack on my car and prove no leaks, I'll make a pretty in depth write up.

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I can attest that sound deadening material (Nicio 10mil Amazon) works when you line the spare tire well. I had a low bass rumble at low RPM's/MPH's that was a bit louder than I liked, that is gone now! The Greddy is by no means loud, I'm very impressed with how great it sounds

The lgt sedan has rolled out of one classroom and into the next. Mevotech front lca took care of the damaged ones. 5mt is bolted in at the moment, but eyeing the specb 6mt that needs new bearings.

Continuing the harvest of the wrecked 5mt sedan for pieces to swap over. Stopped by the auto body class to get a quick introduction on sectioning a car body. The "recycling" step is going to be delayed for the 2-door coupe conversion.

Hicksta events abounded the last two days. Put the pass side lca on the driver side spindle and didn't figure it out until went to put it on the car. The 5mt uses different mounting points than the 5eat, so only the front mounting point is engaged... the rear is nearly 6inches off.

The 5mt transmission rebuild is back on track after borrowing a 3/4" air ratchet to remove the 50mm 161ft/lb nut on the drive pinion. Need to unload that shaft, then start searching for bearings.

The engine rebuild is stalled while I chase the small parts that were incorrectly shipped from rockauto. They claim its recieved, I claim its the wrong box. hmm.

Installed a kartboy short shifter the other day. Real easy and after a bit of driving it was definitely worth it. Waiting on stuff from usps to put on my exhaust and got my mevotech lca in the mail yesterday. Decided to purchase new pinch bolts before starting since I can't wait a week on the mail with no vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed a kartboy short shifter the other day. Real easy and after a bit of driving it was definitely worth it. Waiting on stuff from usps to put on my exhaust and got my mevotech lca in the mail yesterday. Decided to purchase new pinch bolts before starting since I can't wait a week on the mail with no vehicle.

mevotech comes with pinch bolts

Rack and pinion is back together. Hopefully this weekend I can hook it up to the pump I rebuilt and test both under pressure. Figures crossed. To the right are all the seals, O-rings and Teflon rings that were replaced. Left column is pinion, Right column is rack. Looks so simple now :lol:

IMG_1916.thumb.jpg.7b1df1bc892f299707a2b3e4e560b558.jpg

Edited by jaylew

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I just opened them. Wish I'd realized that. I was wondering what those bolts were for haha.

-- i had to open the ball joint socket quite a bit. also clean the pocket really good with emery paper.. If you feel the need to hammer the castle nut, you need more prybar.

Excited to see your final products

-- me too

Did some work on the 05 GT the last couple days, I was on my way home from work and my brake light came on.. Crap I got a leak! Hoping its the rear union that's apart of the recall... Nope, after inspection I found strangest thing, the bolt for the passenger front brake line going into the caliper came loose. Oh well, in case I picked up a new banjo and metal o ring's. While I was in there I knew I needed to change my inner tie rod which was loose. Well with big ol channel locks I actually got it apart! I had one ready to go from a rock auto order and lined everything up and installed it all.

Wow the highway shimmy that I've had for a year is gone!

Gotta love rock auto sales where moog parts are like $17.

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

I've been dealing with a very very very slow coolant leak that I never cared to find because it was so slow. I recently picked up a mityvac pressure tester and tonight hooked it up and found my leaks. The upoer radiator hose clamps leak at 18 psi. They are already constant tension clamps so I may not have snugged them up enough. All is well now.

I tore apart my 06 LGT project over the weekend... Way more destruction than I thought there would be on this motor.

Fuji Bond must have been on sale when they assembled it.

c888539a85ba1766884f764f546afa3e.jpg

f676efc4f574d5af4b4a115af631b29b.jpg

354f8b6896a427ac0421beccc7334f7f.jpg

6b4550e92cf2d57fcbd14bed7de63853.jpg

eb44d5e3a30a7f510a0c1184a2b6687c.jpg

ae27db6731ddd00a28000d0f98a98495.jpg

8bfa63b1c158308ea8b84d0c1addf6fe.jpg

1fe3d20fdab8983abff2ce01ae04acdb.jpg

143a2d167ebaed25a80abe7715a9e158.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Edited by B-BGTLimited

i did some modeling las week ! very productive work !

[ATTACH]288830[/ATTACH]

That sucks man! Sorry to see this.

Although, can't help but notice that you have two back-up lights instead of one back up light and one fog light? Hard to tell there. I want two backup lights as well.

I tore apart my 06 LGT project over the weekend... Way more destruction than I thought there would be on this motor.

Fuji Bond must have been on sale when they assembled it. c888539a85ba1766884f764f546afa3e.jpgf676efc4f574d5af4b4a115af631b29b.jpg354f8b6896a427ac0421beccc7334f7f.jpg6b4550e92cf2d57fcbd14bed7de63853.jpgeb44d5e3a30a7f510a0c1184a2b6687c.jpgae27db6731ddd00a28000d0f98a98495.jpg8bfa63b1c158308ea8b84d0c1addf6fe.jpg1fe3d20fdab8983abff2ce01ae04acdb.jpg143a2d167ebaed25a80abe7715a9e158.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

B-BGTLimited, glad to see you're still around. I still remember the time when you and Max Capacity helped me figure out how to reinstall a new timing belt and tensioner while stuck in the middle of nowhere in northern Europe, and moving during winter. I remember freaking out :eek:.