LegacyGT.com

Tire pressure sensor light when I don't have one.

What do you mean you don't have tps(sic) at all? Is it a US model? Every car sold in the US has been required to have TPMS since late 2007.

If you put on different wheels with different sensor IDs, the IDs have to be registered using a proper tool.

EDIT: Also, in 2018 the sensor frequency changed to 433MHz, so the sensors can't be registered unless the Crosstrek wheels are from 2017 or earlier.

Edited by Plastixx

• 3 weeks later...

If you know the sensor ID's, you can use a tool like this that I used for years.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-me-used-ateq-quickset-tpms-tool-284656.html

You can sometimes use that even if you don't know the sensor ID's, if the wheels are currently installed on the vehicle and have the ID's stored in the car's computer, you can pull the id's from the ecu with that tool.

If you bought a used set of wheels or something, and have no information, you'll need something like this which is what I upgraded to. There might be a cheaper option out there now, I got that a couple years ago. But I would expect to pay at least $150 for a tool that can wirelessly read the sensor ID.

http://www.maxitpms.com/product/701.jhtml

You can hold the reader up to the wheel, and it'll wirelessly read the sensor ID. Any repair or tire shop should also be able to do that for you, as well as program the ID's to your car.

Edited by apexi

If you know the sensor ID's, you can use a tool like this that I used for years.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-me-used-ateq-quickset-tpms-tool-284656.html

You can sometimes use that even if you don't know the sensor ID's, if the wheels are currently installed on the vehicle and have the ID's stored in the car's computer, you can pull the id's from the ecu with that tool.

If you bought a used set of wheels or something, and have no information, you'll need something like this which is what I upgraded to. There might be a cheaper option out there now, I got that a couple years ago. But I would expect to pay at least $150 for a tool that can wirelessly read the sensor ID.

http://www.maxitpms.com/product/701.jhtml

You can hold the reader up to the wheel, and it'll wirelessly read the sensor ID. Any repair or tire shop should also be able to do that for you, as well as program the ID's to your car.

Thank you for answers and advice !

I thought It will be cheaper tool because you know, I'm gonna buy and use once and than I will put in my shelf and maybe after couple years use again , I think the most of car mechanics has that tool ? Or we can make a deal once if you want to fix it for me

Edited by grac3k

I use ATEQ for the TPMS. I had to buy 2 tools (ATEQ Quickset and VT31) to make it work for my 2012 Legacy GT when I got new wheels with new TPMS. I think ATEQ has one tool that does it all now though (programming, reading wheels sensors and initializing them) I spent about $250 on the two ATEQ tools for my car. The place all around here want to charge money for programming so it has saved me money and it makes it easier to do in my driveway since I have multiple sets of rims. Edited by dgoodhue

Or we can make a deal once if you want to fix it for me

One thing about the ATEQ quickset he has, it is limited to 4 licenses of different cars. I think a lot of the consumer TPMS tool work like this, so you can't go around programming everyone's cars. If you buy a used one asked the person about the licenses and how many licenses they have remaining.

At least on the ATEQ, You can reuse the same license if you have the same year car. So for instance I had 2012 2.5i, I didn't have to use a different license for my 2012 GT.

One thing about the ATEQ quickset he has, it is limited to 4 licenses of different cars. I think a lot of the consumer TPMS tool work like this, so you can't go around programming everyone's cars. If you buy a used one asked the person about the licenses and how many licenses they have remaining.

At least on the ATEQ, You can reuse the same license if you have the same year car. So for instance I had 2012 2.5i, I didn't have to use a different license for my 2012 GT.

The quickset is antiquated trash when compared to something like the TS508 that can be bought for not much more. No license restrictions and more features.

You've completely misunderstood what ATEQ said, it is not license limited to 4 cars. Get your facts straight before you say stuff like this.

The memory in the quickset is only able to hold a maximum of 4 vehicles at one time. If you want to add a new vehicle, you just delete one of the old ones. It's not a license limitation.

Edit: Also, about the quickset being antiquated trash.. If you truly can get a legit ts508, not counterfeit autel, for under $150, then I would definitely go that route. However.. If you know the sensor ID's from your winter and summer wheels, and know that in the future you can easily write down sensor id's if you ever need to replace your sensors, the quickset is perfectly adequate. I've used it for 10 years now and could continue to use it with zero issues if I wanted to. The only difference is that the ts508 can remotely read sensor id's.

The ts508 claims all of my aftermarket sensors are good in my 10 year old winter wheels, which is a lie. My subie started throwing a tpms light last year, and I suspect one of the sensors has died. But my ts508 says all the batteries are good, and everything is fine, which is a lie.

Edited by apexi

The quickset is antiquated trash when compared to something like the TS508 that can be bought for not much more. No license restrictions and more features.

Well mine has been working for 10 years now, I wouldn't call it trash as still works just fine for me to swap my wheels around. If I was buying a new TPMS tool, I would buy a newer model.

You've completely misunderstood what ATEQ said, it is not license limited to 4 cars. Get your facts straight before you say stuff like this.

I looked at my ATEQ Quickset instructions. It says in all caps "LIMITED TO 4 CARS ONLY" In the software, I set the program for my 2009 2.5i Outback to read the sensors which I have not done yet. When I went to save my Outback, it gave a warning as well that it is limited to 4 models years of cars. My ATEQ is from 2011, so perhaps ATEQ has changed the software/firmware since that time.

I see that you're quick to accuse me of being wrong, not so quick in acknowledging that I wasn't.

Dude, what are you talking about???? YOU ARE 100% WRONG. I didn't reply again because I have nothing to say, you are still wrong. My quickset is from 2011 too. You are once again assuming that the 4 vehicle limit is a license limit when it is not. I don't know what to tell you.

Do you honestly think that ateq would sell a tpms device that can only work with 4 vehicles, and then well, it's over? Who would pay $100 for that?? How would one buy more licenses? Do you see ateq offering any type of license upgrade for the quickset? No, because it is not a license limitation, it is strictly a hardware limitation, the quickset can only remember 4 vehicles at one time. If you have 4 stored, delete one of the 4, and you can store another car's information.

I could delete or edit my old replies, but I won't.

It seems like YOU ARE 100% RIGHT, if I understand ateq correctly.

I called ateq since their owners manuals aren't very clear in my opinion, the rep made it more clear to me. It is in fact limited, but I still have to wonder if you can get around the limit. He basically said there is a limit to ensure that it remains a DIY tool.

So yes, now I will admit you are right. I do wonder how they enforce the limit. A DIY'er can't own more than 4 vehicles over the life of the quickset product? I wish I had access to more vehicles that I could test this on.

I called ateq since their owners manuals aren't very clear in my opinion, the rep made it more clear to me. It is in fact limited, but I still have to wonder if you can get around the limit. He basically said there is a limit to ensure that it remains a DIY tool.

So yes, now I will admit you are right. I do wonder how they enforce the limit. A DIY'er can't own more than 4 vehicles over the life of the quickset product? I wish I had access to more vehicles that I could test this on.

+1 for setting the record straight for everyone. it seems stupid that there would be a 4 vehicle limit total, but i guess ateq wants to make their money...

No problem, I appreciate the correction. Personally I would delete/edit prior messages. I agree the manual is a little vague as is the product literature, I think its vague intentionally. I knew I had a conversation with a tech at ATEQ about reading the TPMS ID from a 2013 WRX that I was buying wheels/tires from on this subject. My laptop computer is ancient (2002) that my ATEQ is installed on, but I wasn't sure if this was still true.

I can't imagine ATEQ uses all that sophisticated of a protection method. I bet that someone could get around the limit if they knew what hey were doing and hacked the software. I suspect the hardware has 4 bit memory location to distinguish which vehicle writes are used. The software probably checks that for 4 bit memory location when it deletes a vehicle. You just would need find where the reference is in the software and change it to variable with constant to empty for all slots (Maybe 0000) and change the memory location reference to that variable. I am EE, but I don't generally work with software programming. Some of my friend have gotten around computer licensing with these hack in the 2000's.

I will have to check my ATEQ software when I get home to see how it "stores" the vehicles. If it's just inside the software then remove the software and strip all info from that machine and re-install it.... problem solved? :confused:

That's the thing.. Does the quickset transmit its unique ID to ateq's servers, and tell ateq how many unique vehicles it has done tpms relearns on? I just can't see that being the case. No offense against ateq, I just don't see the device or their software being that sophisticated.

Edit: One more thing that I was 100% wrong about as well, it's been a couple years since I've used the device. I'm almost positive that the device can only hold one vehicle, and the other 4 vehicles get stored in ateq's pc software.

That's the thing.. Does the quickset transmit its unique ID to ateq's servers, and tell ateq how many unique vehicles it has done tpms relearns on? I just can't see that being the case. No offense against ateq, I just don't see the device or their software being that sophisticated.

Edit: One more thing that I was 100% wrong about as well, it's been a couple years since I've used the device. I'm almost positive that the device can only hold one vehicle, and the other 4 vehicles get stored in ateq's pc software.

Yeah, no way does it transmit to the servers. My 2002 laptop is so old it can't open up webpages on the internet any more and it has not been on the internet in some time. I didn't update my laptop wireless connection on my home network when I redid my password and network security in 2015

so I went at mechanic , he checked all rims and 2 has broken sensors, so the price will be 250$ and programing all sensors included. How much sensors cost average ?

I would replace all 4. The sensors batteries only last about 10 years and you are approaching that. I paid about $50 sensor when I bought new OEM ones for my rims. Aftermarket ones are cheaper then that which what they probably used.

I would replace all 4. The sensors batteries only last about 10 years and you are approaching that. I paid about $50 sensor when I bought new OEM ones for my rims. Aftermarket ones are cheaper then that which what they probably used.

Ditto. Replace all four at the same time so you don't have to worry about it later.

so I went at mechanic , he checked all rims and 2 has broken sensors, so the price will be 250$ and programing all sensors included. How much sensors cost average ?

If you're willing to take a risk like I did, I'd grab the Continental Redi-Sensors from the link below for $13 each, they're towards the bottom. I've had those installed in my summer wheel/tire combo for a few years without issues.

https://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=1503321&m=wc&l=en&html=true

Also, how old are your tires? I'm just using black electrical tape to cover the light in the winter right now since my 10 year old sensors died. I can't justify $100 to dismount/remount to install new sensors when my snow tires are about 6-7 years old and will need to be replaced soon. So I guess I'm saying, it might not be a bad idea to wait until you need new tires, if they'll need to be replaced in a year or two.