LegacyGT.com

Lifter Bucket Exchange Thread

Have a few lifter buckets left after setting valve clearances on my spare motor, thanks to the generosity of the Subaru community. Thought I'd start a thread for those who find themselves looking for some different-thickness buckets in the future.

Rules are - if you have a bucket that you can't use but see one listed that you need, mail me the one you've got, cover whatever few bucks shipping costs and I'll mail you the one you want.

All sizes listed are mic'd actuals rounded to the nearest .01 mm, not just the marked value:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-9IJxAd21pKdN7mDJOCuVAS_NZkjkTGl/view?usp=sharing (last updated 1/31/21)

If anybody else has spares sitting around and wants to participate, let me know what you've got and I'll add them to the first post of the thread with your name.

Edited by awfulwaffle

This is a great idea, wish I didn't throw away a bunch of sets I had when cleaning my garage...

I'm surprised there isn't already one of these here or on NASIOC. Anyone else who has buckets they want to add, post em up and I'll add you to the first post.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Why not just belt sand/ grind the end of the valve or inside of the bucket?;)

machine shops "tip" the valves all the time rather than use different buckets. Which causes the valve seats to be cut deeper and deeper to make up for reduced valve stem length.

The bucket nub has much less hardened surface to grind off, but it's been done. The buckets eventually wear and have larger clearances which affects fit.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Sorry for the delay. I have another project and I had to see what buckets I needed. I'm going to send my exchanges back to you with all my extras. Unfortunately, they all are high number buckets, 496 and up.

• 2 months later...
Anyone still exchanging buckets? Looking for something like 483 or 485. Smallest I have right now is a 490 which I'll probably need to reuse anyways. I'll buy them if nobody wants to exchange, $28 per is just a bit obnoxious.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...