LegacyGT.com

Heat shield sounds while car is running

My heat shield recently started making noises after the car warms up and while it's running. The "noise" is the exact popping sound all heat shields make when they cool. My Subaru dealer said it was the heat shield cooling. The strange thing is it never made these noises before except after the car is shut off.

Is this a common thing among Subaru's?

• I Donated Too

@OP lots of people have removed heat shields with no ill effects but they are there for a reason in some cases... just use your best judgement or if you don't have any then leave them alone and let the things ping as they heat up or cool down. They be okay.

@Kred with a GT badge. You weren't attacked we were just caught by surprise.

Sorry, which heat shield are you referring to? The 2.5i has a LOT more heat shields than the GT, some of them are pretty unnecessary.

Exactly, which is why they can be ripped off without harming anything.

^ I edited my post right as you wrote that because I don't want to give the impression that they're totally useless, of course they have a purpose as sigma said. You just need to use your best judgement when deciding to take them off. For example I removed mine on the midpipe before the second cat because they got in the way when I was doing fabrication, and there was sand and small pebbles pinging around inside anyhow.

Archived